Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Turntables!!

Pages: 1 20 replies

I found a couple old Arthur Lyman records at my local resaler today and came home to digitize them onto my computer. Man was I steamed when the darn thing won't run anymore (of course, it is an 18 year old purchase). I'm in the market for a simple, cheap turntable that has a way to plug into a computer system (my current one is sliding into the line in from the speakers). Any help would be grandly appreciated!

Swing, Daddi-O! :sheckymug:

[ Edited by: SwingingTiki on 2004-03-03 14:40 ]

I'd keep an eye out on Ebay or your local Tradin' paper for some used Technics 1200's. Brand new the street price is about $400 to 500, but they're nearly indestructable, so a used 1200 (to me, at least) is better than a store bought lesser brand/model.

-Z

T

My turntable runs thru a receiver & amplifier, and a line-out from amp to a line-in connection on my PC sound card. My turntable is a flea market find from a DJ that was selling off some old equipment.

Keep an eye out for local paper ads for dj equip, or try thrift stores; pawn shops are also a good source for bargain electronics.

T
thejab posted on Wed, Mar 3, 2004 3:46 PM

Like Traderpup I would put it through a regular amp/receiver first and then go into a computer.

I prefer Duals from the 70s because many have a 78 speed and they are one of the best (low noise, heavy platter, straight tonearm) turntables ever made. I bought mine for $12 at a thrift store and I had it reconditioned with a new cartridge that has a 78 stylus, as well as a regular one. It cost me about $125 total. (It cost over $250 in the 70s.) It also has the spindle if you want to stack records (I don't often do that) and the tonearm actually goes up and down at the pivot point so that the angle of the needle doesn't change much when playing stacks of records. They sell on Ebay frequently for around $100-200 for a reconditioned model.

Technics make pretty good DJ turntables but if you aren't DJing (for home use) the old Duals have better sound and are cheaper in most cases.

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Mar 3, 2004 4:26 PM

DO NOT PLUG A TURNTABLE DIRECTLY INTO THE COMPUTER. Bad things will happen. There. I said it. You MUST run it through a preamp of some sort. You can get a simple box to do it, but a receiver is what most use and you must use the "Line out" not a speaker out. The speaker out will kill the computer.

UB

On 2004-03-03 16:26, Swanky wrote:
DO NOT PLUG A TURNTABLE DIRECTLY INTO THE COMPUTER. Bad things will happen. There. I said it. You MUST run it through a preamp of some sort. You can get a simple box to do it, but a receiver is what most use and you must use the "Line out" not a speaker out. The speaker out will kill the computer.

Swank's absolutely right. Your best bet is to get an independent Audio/Digital (A/D) converter.
Radio Shack has a great turtable with a built in pre-amp for a $100.00. The best buy, for a consumer level turntable today.
Good Luck
Unga

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Mar 3, 2004 7:24 PM

We're talking about maybe frying your computer if you hook this up wrong. "Line out" is the only way to go.

A
aquarj posted on Wed, Mar 3, 2004 7:42 PM

For what it's worth, I'm very happy with a little gadget I bought recently (Yamaha UW10 USB Digital Recording Interface) that basically takes standard audio line in inputs (like the tape rec lines from a receiver), and has a usb out that you can connect to any PC, and then record to the hard drive. I think there are similar ones for Macs. Most sound cards have audio-in too, but supposedly they're "noisy" because they pick up computer hum. So an external unit is supposed to be better - maybe it also avoids the "fry your computer" problem that Swanky refers to. Anyway, I don't know about all that, but it works great for me.

Also use a cheapo piece of software called Cakewalk to split up wav files (like a whole LP side) into individual songs. Goes pretty quick.

Nobody asked, but just thought I'd toss that in.

-Randy

S
SES posted on Wed, Mar 3, 2004 7:45 PM

I was looking at this one awhile ago. Seemed like it might be better than fixing my old ones up.

http://www.djdeals.com/vestaxHANDYTRAX.htm

C

Best new turntables for the money HANDS DOWN:
http://turntablelab.com/turntables/numark/numark-tt200.html

Even better, but if your just listening, maybe overkill:
http://turntablelab.com/turntables/numark/numark-ttx1.html

I have a set of the bottom ones for DJing.

THis all seems like a lot of good information to me. I was wondering though, on the "fry your computer" side of things, the unit I have right now (the busted one) is a Realistic Clarinette 122 all-in-one with turntable, dual tape deck and tuner. Is it possible, even as old as this unit is, that it has the preamp built in and that's why I've had no problems? If you guys want to, you can email me directly at my address, I don't mind. I've used this unit for about four albums and was just thinking about maybe having this unit repaired if at all possible. Again, thanks for the help guys. . . (now if finding a new job was this easy, I'd have it made. . .)

[ Edited by: SwingingTiki on 2004-03-04 06:32 ]

PK

2 cents ALERT!

Although some audiophiles will say the Thoren 124 belt drive (1000.00+) is the best turntable around, I have found through much trial and error that the Technics SP15 IS the best turnatbale on earth. Often just the turntable portion of the SP15 will reach 300.00-400.00 then you must add a tone arm assembly. The SP15 was manufactured from '76 to '85 and weighs about 50lbs and has 33/45/78rpm and +12/-12 Digital Pitch adjustment.

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Mar 4, 2004 9:11 AM

Swinging Tiki: If you have an "all-in-one", then, yes, it's all there. Just run the "Line Out" from that to the computer. The problem comes when you run a turntable itself, into a computer. The signal is very low, first of all, and second, will perhaps build a charge over time. Not good. If you use the speaker out and put that into your computer, that's way too much for the computer to handle and it could all go kablewey.

See, The problem is, I'm out of work as of last Friday, meaning the fundage is going to get low soon, and I really wanted to get this all done wile I was out (expecting to be for a while, the job market sucks). Buying a new one isn't really what I'm in for right now, although all this info is being filed in the "when I have a job and cashflow again" folder. I had no idea about the voltage issues, but I think I found one that hooks into a micro stack system that comes with a preamp add on at no extra charge. I'll see if I can kick this old one here into working again and if not, maybe I'll eat ramen for a week and get a new one. . . I love this forum, so much with the helping hands!

[ Edited by: SwingingTiki on 2004-03-04 10:04 ]

Then definately buy a new needle. It will be a day and night difference from the old one.

That was on my list right after getting the motor to turn the belt again. Although, it's not been used too much, the sound is nice and rich. I'm still going to get a replacement though, just as a standby. Can't ever hurt.

[ Edited by: SwingingTiki on 2004-03-04 11:41 ]

T

On 2004-03-04 01:36, chase_317 wrote:
Best new turntables for the money HANDS DOWN:
http://turntablelab.com/turntables/numark/numark-tt200.html

Even better, but if your just listening, maybe overkill:
http://turntablelab.com/turntables/numark/numark-ttx1.html

I have a set of the bottom ones for DJing.

The TTX is better than the old Dual (model 1219) I own in specs, but the TT200 is inferior (wow and flutter - lower numbers are better: TT200 0.2% vs. TTX 0.03% vs. Dual 1219 0.06%; rumble - higher numbers are better: TT200 -40dB/-50dB vs. TTX -58dB/-79dB vs. 1219 -45dB/-60dB). For comparison the Technics SL 1200 MK2 is a respectable 0.01% wow and flutter and -78dB rumble.

You get what you pay for in a new turntable, but for home use (not DJing) the vintage Duals can't be beat for the money.

J

If you're interested in getting a basic turntable just to record records I believe the big name electronic stores still sell a base model Sony turntable for like $89.00...I got one a couple years ago with the express purpose of recording things on the computer and it's been working fine! As for a pre-amp I use my Peavey mixer but any amp would work just as well...

M
Mganga posted on Thu, Mar 4, 2004 1:10 PM

I second the nomination for a turntable with a built-in pre-amp. There are many inexpensive options out there, from Sony, Numark, and Vestax among others, ranging from about $100-$250. I need one of these myself!

I've heard of the Numark and Vestax models, but I didn't know they had preamps in them. I'm just looking for home use right now, but when I get my bar built (by the gods someday) I will want something with a bit more punch. Does Best Buy or anyone sell the Vestax or Numark models that anyone knows? I've seen the Sony's and they're running around 129.99, way too steep for my wallet at the moment.

[ Edited by: SwingingTiki on 2004-03-04 20:03 ]

T

Check out the pawn shops! Great place to get bargain electronics! I've gotten plenty of stuff thru pawn at really good deals... and only buy from a shop that will either let you demo in store, or offer a return policy.

Pages: 1 20 replies