Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Drum Room in KC's President Hotel

Pages: 1 8 replies

Although I'm very new to the Tiki thing, I've worked in historic preservation for many years. Lately I'm finding the whole 50s-60s style VERY appealing. Anyway, restoration of the President Hotel in Kansas City is reported to begin again in the next few months and I thought you might like to see what the Drum Room looked like in it's late-50s splendor. I'm not sure what the restoration plan is for this little hangout, but hopefully it will look something like this again.

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ Edited by: SilverLIne 2005-11-19 14:27 ]

[ Edited by: SilverLine 2005-11-19 14:28 ]

S
Swanky posted on Thu, Mar 4, 2004 9:05 AM

That calls for a drum mug to drink from!

T

If they restore it to its original luster, "Kansas City, here I come!"

(I hear they have some pretty little women there?)

M
Mganga posted on Thu, Mar 4, 2004 9:18 AM

Wow.... that's a beautiful space! Hopefully it wasn't gutted in the 70s or 80s when we lost a lot of other great architecture and interiors.

Dang,

You mean another reason to visit KC besides Steak and the "Arabia"?

That is a great photo SilverLine.
Thanks for posting.
Remember in the movie "The Shining" when Jack Nicholson is at the bar and all of a sudden, the whole bar comes to life with people dancing and mingling in it's original hay day /era? I wish you could do that with the photos you see here on T.C..
(Then again , I believe it has when I have reached that sixth mai tai. :) )

kansas city = BARBECUE.

not to disrespect bbq from any other region, no.

but you gotta try i there once in yer life...

mahalo for the images, SilverLine... kinda made my day... j$

M

they don't make 'em like that anymore--TOO DAMN BAD!!!

8T

Thanks for the look back. The last time I was in that room was nearly 15 years ago. The hotel had been vacant and there was a big fire in it too. They were selling off many of the old President hotel items. Dishware and other kitchen stuff plus lots of furniture & misc. (I bought the spinning comic book rack). It was sad to see all of the damage but it was a beautiful place at one time and definitely could be again! I sure hope the project will be undertaken and completed.

Pages: 1 8 replies