Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

the cool hostess at trader vics, beverly hills

Pages: 1 28 replies

Remember on vics 100th birthday party that there was one super cool , not snotty or stuck-up hostess?, tall, dark hair and slim?. Her name is Mykle McCoslin for reference....remember this!. She was working last night when I went for my friday night blast and she was so cool!(she loved my loud hawaiian shirt!).I told her about T.C. and she just might drop in to check it out. I am sure most of you notice that the waiters for the most part are robotic and displeased when you don't order the miniscule snacks they push, which is a drag, but this gal makes up for that hoi-paloi attitude, so ask for her by name.It ain't the tiki-ti, but the drinks are damn good!.Order a sharks tooth without the soda, good stuff.

On 2004-03-06 09:31, twowheelin'tiki wrote:
, but this gal makes up for that hoi-paloi attitude,

2WT,

I think you mean hoiti toiti, hoi palloi means the common people or masses. Of which you and I are part and parcel.

I appreciate being your assistance!

DOH!!!, sorry, too many sharks toothesis!, I misunderstood the three stooges show from whence it came, too heavy.......

Yes, she is certainly a lovely asset to Trader Vic's Beverly Hills. As wonderful as she always is, I've never had an attitude problem with anyone else there. The servers have always been friendly and the bartenders have always greeted me with big smiles and handshakes. TwoWheelin', you're not the first person to mention surly service there and I wonder where it's coming from. My experiences there have always been pleasant or better.

-Weird Unc

H

My experiences are in agreement with Weird Unc's. I've only had good interactions with the staff there, with friendly hosts, gracious waitstaff and attentive bartenders. I have noticed they are a touch reluctant to discuss which drinks come in tiki mugs, and I assume this is due entirely to theft concerns: the bar there gets incredibly crowded, and they just don't have the ability to keep an eye on the mugs; I think their reticence is justified. Beyond this, they have only been wonderful to me and my companions.

If you haven't already, try their wasabi potatoes! They're divine.

[i]On 2004-03-08 15:25, weirduncletiki wrote The servers have always been friendly and the bartenders have always greeted me with big smiles and handshakes.

I have much more middle of the road experiences. I find the wait staff, first and foremost, extremely curteous, albeit not particularly solicitous.

The funny thing is that I gather they all have been there for tens of years, based on their look and based upon the one who had told me of his approx 20 years working there. Maybe the Trader Vics management
finds older Asian men provides an authentic Hawaiian feel (or maybe the one has hired his contemporaries).

However, when I was in Maui, ironically enough all the waitstaff typically were younger kids and usually not Asian. (There may be a message in there, but I don't know what it is).

However, Twowheelin, the hostess you refer to is very corteous.

UB

Twowheelin forgot to mention:
he doesn't tip. :)

Very funny!, When I leave, I am usually hammered, so 20% is the norm!.I am sorry if I am a little rough on the staff, but most of the older asian guys are about as nice as the crew at the tonga room!.And weirduncletiki just don't count, cuz he looks so beverly hills, they probably think he owns the place!.

F

TWT, I agree with you about the staff at TVBH. If you sense a disconnect between their "high-end" image and the real interpersonal comfort level of their service, you are on to something, I think. We have a right to expect more from an establishment that commands such high prices.

In fact, if an establishment demands an exorbitant cost for what they provide, they had better be way better than the average bear, no? I submit that the Tiki Ti is, dollar for dollar, at least as "classy" an establishment that Trader Vic's Beverly Hills. They charge the same price for their drinks, but measured in terms of their instituitional ability to make their guests feel at home, I want to give Tiki Ti the edge.

I remember something I read years ago, I don't even remember where, but I tried to take it to heart. Class was defined as...drinking from the fingerbowl. Granted, this is an anachonism as we don't use fingerbowls too much these days.

Let's say we were fancy and hoity toity and had a dinner party (and lived in a Jane Austen novel) and we had a guest that wasn't as sophisticated as some of the others in the group. Here is this bowl of water used to clean our fingertips (after devouring some baby-back ribs) and there was an invitee present who wasn't hip to the etiquette and thought the bowl was there to quench their thirst.

As the greener guest slurps away, the others who are so much smoother (right) giggle. As a host, you could shut the others up by drinking from YOUR bowl, thus reminding the others that well, it's all B.S. I think that the Tiki Ti is much more likely to insure the comfort of their guests by "drinking from the fingerbowl". TV's staff is more likely to regard a clueless guest with awkward silence - not because they are mean, but because it seems to me that they are so formal that is just how they'd respond.

At Trader Vic's the staff is unbelievably solicitous. I ate there recently with HumuHumu, Chris Tiki295 and Arunas. They hovered over us, one could feel genuinely spoiled - but the "realness" quotient is severely lacking. I have given up trying to relate to any of the staff there on a humor level. I just end up feeling embarrassed as they look at me like an alien. Granted, I AM an alien, but in my experience it is not typically that damn difficult to get people to respond in a "real" manner. You'd think these people were working in the Fox HR department! They are ridiculously businesslike. They need to loosen up!

I also remember how they handled the 100th anniversary of Vic. A few days before the event I approached the manager of the BH Vic's, with the same agreement regarding Mai Tai's and appetizers arrived at by TC members in SF with their Vic's. I also printed the related TC posts, so the BH manager could read them lest there be any confusion) I also sent him an e-mail confirming the agreed-upon price structure for the evening.

In spite of all of that preparation, there was practically a check-for-check fight with them. It was as if I had never met the manager. There was even a server who didn't appear to be a waitress, but was there to help with the overflow (I hope it wasn't your friend) with whom I clarified the "deal" before we ordered. Even though she nodded in agreement, she still proceeded to charge us full price for the appetizers! It was as if she wasn't even listening to me before we ordered! I had to again approach the "manager" I had been dealing with to get the $ sentence plead down. Not a pleasant night.

SOOOO...

Well, Trader Vic's is a nice establishment, to be sure, especially if you decide to go into the restaurant proper for a meal. The attention to the guest is there to an overwhelming degree, but the heart is missing. Who doesn't love a glamourous evening out? It is tough to replicate that TV's pampering at home, but there is an off-putting pretention at our LA branch in my opinion that leaves me cold and they have NO TIKIS. I think the money is better spent on a home luau along with some drinks at the Tiki Ti.

blah blah blah.

[ Edited by: floratina on 2004-03-10 20:48 ]

Floratina, I loved your reference to the finger bowl story!

A great illustration of how manners are to make us feel comfortable, because we know what we're supposed to do, and are NOT to be used the other way - to make anyone feel UNcomfortable.

(The TC folks I've met might not all be extended-pinkie types, but they all wrote the book on making another feel welcome and comfortable!)

Signed,
an eternal Judith Martin (aka Miss Manners) fan

On 2004-03-08 22:43, twowheelin'tiki wrote:
And weirduncletiki just don't count, cuz he looks so beverly hills, they probably think he owns the place!.

Well.... maybe I do! If you click on this http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=1956&forum=4
You'll see on the 2nd page that Polynesian Pop wrote this(FYI, Peter is grandson of Trader Vic and Vice President of the company):

"Lunch w/ Peter Seeley - Lunch at the pier was great. Was nice to sit down and talk to Holden about the Tiki biz. Looks like Weird Unc and Mr. Seeley started the beginnings of a business venture we can look forward to attending next year - Weird Uncle Vic's!"

[ Edited by: weirduncletiki on 2004-03-09 10:43 ]

Hey Formikahini, I'm glad you appreciated that one. Mind you, it's a standard that I fail to meet much of the time, what with hag-like tendencies and all. But it's worth an effort.

T

*On 2004-03-09 01:54, floratina wrote:*It is tough to replicate that TV's pampering at home, but there is an off-putting pretention at our LA branch in my opinion that leaves me cold and they have NO TIKIS.

I guess you meant there are no tikis in the restaurant part because there are plenty of tikis in the bar & lounge. I have only eaten in the bar at Beverly Hills.

My guess is that the traditional clientele at Trader Vic's has been fairly well off, which was reflected in their appearance and spending habits. So the staff "sizes up" customers they don't know and some of them cop an attitude because they don't think they'll get much of a tip anyway. Their attitude and occasional rudeness makes it even more likely that they won't get a good tip. So, the next casually dressed group that comes in gets the same treatment, and so on.

Once the management realized that many of the non-traditional younger crowd that were coming into Vic's Emeryville were going to be coming back again and again, they really started to welcome us. Their attitude has slowly worked it's way into some of the staff. The previously snotty cocktail waitress in the bar now smiles at me and says hello when she sees me. If only this would happen at the Tonga Room!

F

Okay, you got me. TVBH isn't completely tikiless, but it ain't no Sam's Seafood either!

It is important to note that they do possess the the elusive polynesian, alabaster, ibex moai!!!

[ Edited by: floratina on 2004-03-09 13:18 ]

T

On 2004-03-09 12:08, thejab wrote:

*On 2004-03-09 01:54, floratina wrote:*It is tough to replicate that TV's pampering at home, but there is an off-putting pretention at our LA branch in my opinion that leaves me cold and they have NO TIKIS.

I guess you meant there are no tikis in the restaurant part because there are plenty of tikis in the bar & lounge. I have only eaten in the bar at Beverly Hills.

My guess is that the traditional clientele at Trader Vic's has been fairly well off, which was reflected in their appearance and spending habits. So the staff "sizes up" customers they don't know and some of them cop an attitude because they don't think they'll get much of a tip anyway. Their attitude and occasional rudeness makes it even more likely that they won't get a good tip. So, the next casually dressed group that comes in gets the same treatment, and so on.

Once the management realized that many of the non-traditional younger crowd that were coming into Vic's Emeryville were going to be coming back again and again, they really started to welcome us. Their attitude has slowly worked it's way into some of the staff. The previously snotty cocktail waitress in the bar now smiles at me and says hello when she sees me. If only this would happen at the Tonga Room!

Jab,

As an arm-chair social scientist myself, I would have to say that your analysis is insightful and correct.

Tina, you are a class act if ever there was one!, brains and good looks are a rare combo!.Thank you for putting into words my feelings to a "T".Speaking of T , thats the only reason I have been drinking there (at TVBH), is cuz the T is closed till the loo is fixed......I am counting the days!.

I was there a few weekends ago and yes the staff seem to have been the original ones when John Wayne and Do Ho use to hang out there. The do seem very robotic and really just want to go home. I was there on a Saturday night with 15 people in the bar - Ordering drinks, platters the whole tiki deal with a tab of about $500 for two hours. I kept getting the feeling they wanted me to go home. "Always asking anything else?, should I bring the check?" Maybe a few younger Vahines and Tanes would get the place going.

I do have to admit that as stiff as the older staff at tvbh is, they don't hold a candle to the evil folks at the tonga room!. The wife and I went there last july while on vacation, and we could not believe how cranky these folks were!. Anyone have a similar exp?.

twowheelin'tiki wrote:
I do have to admit that as stiff as the older staff at tvbh is, they don't hold a candle to the evil folks at the tonga room!. The wife and I went there last july while on vacation, and we could not believe how cranky these folks were!. Anyone have a similar exp?.

TWT~

Some direct (negative) posts about The Tonga Room:

Number 1

Number 2

Number 3

Number 4

Number 5

Those are just a few. Now on the flip side, there are those that have actually had a good experience there. It seems as if you need to prepare yourself for a Jekyl & Hyde situation. It's either all good or all bad. It's still worth a look-see.

Enter The SoCal Hoity Toity Schedule

[ Edited by: sugarcaddydaddy on 2004-03-09 23:10 ]

M

TWT, Come up to the SF crawl to play "Tonga Room Russian Roulette". We might catch them on a good night...we might catch them on a bad night. Either way, we'll be the first ones through the door, so they can't ignore us- there will be no one else to serve!

Regarding Trader Vic's, Emeryville is definitely warming up to us. It took a lot of work to get them to open up the Captain's Cabin not just for us, but for all the vendors who are coming up. But I've finally got them excited about it. It's going to be a killer night. Just lined up Frank Novicki from Ape for entertainment as well. The new 70th anniversary mugs (ONLY available at Emeryville, by the way) are beautiful. Plus lots more surprises. (There I go plugging away again)

I mean, you'd be insane to miss it. Everyone is going, right? Right? The only excuse to miss it is if you're in Southern California and are short on funds. In which case, you'd better go see the Menehunes on the 3rd.

Thank you martiki for the kind invite/plug!. If the money tree gets really healthy ,real fast, I could make it. I do love the place with or without the chinese waiters that all played evil imperialist japanese in those cool John Wayne movies during WW2 cuz all the j-models were locked up in manzanar!.

hey that's me gently stroking the Elusiveness. Mmmmmm. Smooth

OMG - LapuRocker lives!

Smoooth.

T

Everyone is going, right?

Yessirree Bob! I wouldn't miss it for the world! The crawl is always alot of fun but I like the traditional Friday visit to Trader Vic's just as much. And it sounds like it will be even better this year.

I think the 'elusive polynesian, alabaster, ibex moai's' elusivness has rubbed off on Lapu.

The 'elusive polynesian, alabaster, ibex moai's' elusivness calls to me. I strive to keep his legend real. He is my Deity.

Oh yeah.

I lurk...........waiting.......hoping

[ Edited by: LapuRocker on 2004-03-11 02:32 ]

Did anyone catch the Food Channel show that featured Emirl's new restaurant in Orlando Universal called Tchoup chop - A polynesia/asian restaurant - The begining part was cool showing the renderings, how the put the thing together and how they imported the Tiki's custom made in Bali. The final place looked kind wacko

Humu and I were at the Rose Bowl Flea Market when we ran across this IBEX GLASSWARE!!! These people wanted $100.00 for a set of...five.

IBICES!

[ Edited by: floratina on 2004-03-23 18:04 ]

I've only been to Trader Vic's once, and it was literally 2 weeks ago. I have to say, I kinda sensed the "distantness" of the staff that others here are talking about, but I think maybe we're confusing it for something other than what it really is.

Throughout the night we kept hearing how there were no flower garnishes left for the Fogcutters and how the Menehune Juices didn't have the funny little Menehune dolls. I was worried that Trader Vic's may have been going out of business. I asked why these things weren't available, and the reply was that they were just too busy.

The last straw for me was when they claimed I couldn't take a ceramic coconut home, cause they were all gone. I proceeded to mope and look all devastated...so the waiter said he would see what he could do. The good news is..they found me a coconut mug! I was very happy he did.

That gesture alone spoke volumes.

Pages: 1 28 replies