Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Weird info in Spam-what drugs are they on??

Pages: 1 33 replies

M

Every know and then if I get tricked into reading spam, down usually at the bottom is a sentence or group of sentences that are just darn strange/funny and have NOTHING to do with the spam topic. For example, today I received this; "(I'd seen something really weird. :) And someone was waiting for me, just around the corner. How embarrassing. That could well be the answer.

I'd seen many of the same things I've seen before. I'd thought it was sad to hate the forest the way she'd done. The same thing we do every night, he replied. What is the answer?

(I'd seen something really weird. :) There's something I should tell you. He wanted to know more. The same thing we do every night, he replied.

He wanted to know more. A house full of condiments and no food. Are there a lot of these types of accidents? You are not your khakis. I'd walk down to the stream, look around, and take a deep breath" under the headline of "Chicks with huge T*ts". so deep-so deep!

This is to try & fool SPAM filtering software that looks for keywords & measures them against the rest of the content, the same reason they spell Xanax as "X|a|N|a|X!!" When the software finds "Xanax" or "Hot Teens!" or other keywords too many times, or emails that all contain the same number of bytes, or all from the same domain, it pops it into the "SPAM" folder for you to double check & delete. This is why spammers're misspelling words & adding seeming random text to the Subject lines & bodies of emails, plus they're forging the email's from fied & other header info and using trojan horses to put email servers on personal PCs with "always-on" connections to the Internet!

This is just the latest salvo in the war against a very profitable, & increasingly corrupt, industry. We won't start seeing a significant decrease in spam until there's a significant international effort to control it.

Also, if you think email spam's bad, wait 'til you start getting text message spam on your cell phone. In Japan it's reported to average a dozen messages a day for most phones, & you're paying to receive it!

T

I am curious about the spams I have been getting lately, that don't seem to want to sell me anything, but instead are a random stream of words like

'turgid milkweed xerox flagellate tinker fungus pilllbox stapler home frigidaire velour'

Can anyone explain THAT?

M

On 2004-03-09 11:48, tikifish wrote:
I am curious about the spams I have been getting lately, that don't seem to want to sell me anything, but instead are a random stream of words like

'turgid milkweed xerox flagellate tinker fungus pilllbox stapler home frigidaire velour'

Can anyone explain THAT?

Sound like the work of Johnny Velour's clone!!!

S
SES posted on Tue, Mar 9, 2004 1:08 PM

Can anyone explain THAT?

It's the aliens speaking to each other in code. It triggers a response in people who have been abducted and have had an implanted chip monitoring their every move.
:wink:

Can anyone explain THAT?

vogon poetry?

(nerd) j$

On 2004-03-09 13:13, Johnny Dollar wrote:

Can anyone explain THAT?

vogon poetry?

(nerd) j$

I plugged those words into the Vogon Poetry Generator, & I got this:

See, see the turgid sky
Marvel at its big fungus depths.
Tell me, frigidaire do you
Wonder why the home ignores you?
Why its foobly stare
makes you feel tinker.
I can tell you, it is
Worried by your xerox facial growth
That looks like
A milkweed.
What's more, it knows
Your flagellate potting shed
Smells of stapler.
Everything under the big turgid sky
Asks why, why do you even bother?
You only charm pilllboxs.

Bigger Nerd...

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2004-03-09 13:27 ]

S
SES posted on Tue, Mar 9, 2004 1:46 PM

See? Some have forgotten to don their tinfoil helmets...

:wink:

K
kctiki posted on Tue, Mar 9, 2004 3:32 PM

Vogan poetry huh? That sounds like me brushing up on Spanish by trying to translate Garcia Lorca.

TC

Can anyone explain THAT?

it was an email announcing the release of some old captain beefheart recordings.

M

Oh my god. You look away from Beyond Tiki for a minute, and there's references to Vogon Poetry when you come back.

I don't know if I should be terrified or not surprised at all. I do, however, feel the urge to buy J$ and Freddie Freelance a drink for taking me on an unexpected journey back to junior high.

just doin my job martiki, but i'll hold you up on the drink when we eventually meet ~ j$

ya buncha hoopy froods!

M

Please enjoy your postmodern story of the day:

It was cold and sweet. Hi, I said to all the animals. You
can't go up to the unit. Nobody's allowed up there. I'm evil.
I wished so deeply for the change to come about. There were
many examples of animals all around. Don't do that, the cat
pointed out. He extended his hand by way of introduction.
I'm cold, you said, staring at the continuation we had to feel
through yesterday. I'll tell you what happened next. He
extended his hand by way of introduction. Love, and hate, are
powerful emotions.I'm cold, you said, staring at the continuation we
had to feel through yesterday. Suddenly, he disappeared. But
under the circumstances, I'd do it again. I didn't have to say:
can we change the meeting from 6 to 11? My kids have a music
recital and I dont want to miss it for the world. I'd walk down to
the stream, look around, and take a deep breath

On 2004-03-15 16:50, mrsmiley wrote:
Please enjoy your postmodern story of the day:
It was cold and sweet. Hi, I said to all the animals. You can't go up to the unit. Nobody's allowed up there. I'm evil.

What would Jean Baudrillard have to say about this? :lol:

chordata earthshaking lizard!
mckay impious calf vowel...
hyena.
intellectual patty carlisle?
bulblet medlar stratagem;
sharecrop
deploy travertine
agree pedal rattlesnake bahama.
gratuitous matsumoto!

empty.

darn contaminant desire, drop buzzsaw.
eavesdrop, surrogate
conceive. glorify hardboard endgame!
embody greece: dionysus.
blatant made detestation.
bulblet scrimmage reub
rigid petrifaction: divulge hobble mesopotamia
mayflower, romania.
manipulable presumptuous ophiuchus
morphophonemic ruse
blurb pheasant snafu blanchard thyronine
evidential, ace! deserve roundup workday...
archetypical herr?
aerobic bodied knell camaraderie
sharecrop,
basement assistant.

subject: rescue vestige constantine

(image of [bootleg?] software}

Any skyscraper can find subtle faults with philosopher behind, but it takes a real scooby snack to inside gonad.about scythe reads a magazine, but food stamp related to parking lot operate a small fruit stand with related to swamp.A few dilettantes, and of cab driver) to arrive at a state of freight train
soar nero kaskaskia cyanic honduras bhutan

J$, if you look at the email in Outlook using Autopreview (not Preview Pane), or look at the source code, you'll see a 1 by 1 pixel image of a white or see-through square. The code in the email calls the spammers server to request this image, alerting the spammer that you received & opened this email & that your email address is good. All that blather in the email is to get around any spam filters you may have so you'll actually open the email to trigger the server call.

Remember, never use Outlook's (or whatever email client you use) preview pane & never open any HTML-coded emails from anyone you don't recognize. if you aren't certain, try opening the file as text only or viewing the source.

!! i wasn't aware of that...

so the preview pane will send the spam server info? you mean i ought to turn it off? that's annoying, but i guess u gotta do what u gotta...

thanks for the info. i just was amused by the "but it takes a real scooby snack to inside gonad"

I turn on AutoPreview & turn off Preview Pane. This gives the first 3 lines of the email which's usually enough for me to tell if it's spam or not. Preview Pane will display HTML code & can trigger Active X or VB Scripts to download files to your system or hijack your web browser.

I've been receiving an interesting variation on the Nigerian scam. I get an e-mail from someone wanting to order like 60 meters of fabric from the website I maintain. They ask for the price including shipping, and it's always going to Lagos, Nigeria. I decided to pursue one the other day, and they wanted me to include a bunch of cell phones with the order, offering me a few extra hundred dollars. Do I smell a scam or what? I've looked into the credit card numbers they send me, they're always stolen from somewhere in the US.

I recently found out about a different type of spam blocker. You pay $2 a month and every time someone new tries to send you an e-mail a little window pops up asking them to copy a little code into a box. No copy code, no send e-mail. That would probably filter out the 200+ bits of junk I get a day at work! ( http://spamarrest.com/ )

Re: Preview Pane:
You can turn off the display of external HTML graphics in Yahoo mail to avoid this. I don't know about outlook. You can view the HTML graphics on a message by message basis, once you've confirmed the email is not spam.

Re: Productless Spam
I think productless spam may be trying to verify your email address using the method, but more often than not I think it is a spammer with a misconfigured Spam program. They tricker spam programs are not that easy to use, and I think a lot of spammers have days where they missconfigure it and end up sending you empty emails, or complete jibberish with no product to sell.

~Hanford

TK

I actually broke the record at my provider. 14,991 (fourteen THOUSAND nine hundred ninty-one )spam emails recived in one day. My mail box was so large it could not be opened, I had to call my provider and have them delete it. now it goes through a super rigid set of multiple filters, and I am back down to a managable couple hundred a day. but I was keeping some of the better random titles. Here are a couple I liked...

"Is there money in your backyard spumoni?"

I didn't know there was spumoni in my backyard to begin with...

"dig in your sleep"

Because I just can't dig enough during my waking hours....

"use your noodle and get smart arm"

And I was using Macaroni...no wonder I have a stupid arm!

"Colon-Cleanse privately"

Aww, I wanted to do it publicly...

"you much have the smallest dctndquvsk"

Hey! my dctndquvsk is as big as anyones!

"was it you rebutting hobbyhorse?"

No, hobbyhorse and I generally agree...

i tried, it worked chutney flatulent

Okay, we all get spam... but has anyone noticed the gibberish that is at the bottom of some of the e-mails?

One I just got had this at the bottom:
carried away like the Lady Grange. Bet me what ye please - there was at twilight in the parlour. What Peggotty had told me now, was so some of you under the harrow. Think twice, before it goes over added them up, and reduced the answer to shillings and pence. daughter Doras confidential friend. It was, no doubt, Mr. :o

What kind of gibberish are you getting? Anyone have any idea why they do this?

I agree...seen a lot of it lately. I think all the extra nonsense is an attempt to get through the more lax Spam filters. I've actually gotten a kick lately out of some of the alleged sender names. Don't have any examples on hand, but will post a few later.

This is from an online pharmacy

You scum! You dirty pirate! You man of honour! Captain Blood
entertain no delusive hope of ever winning her for his own, of ev
I tell ye? Ye see, the young gentleman's under a misapprehension
However, added Captain Blood, I'll not dispute her to you if y
At the table sat a man of whom nothing was visible but the top of
cats - oh, the cats they wait for us! The cats are those four
After that followed days of activity in Tortuga, refitting the sh
unmoved. It is a little thing, perhaps, but in a narrative in wh
had accounted this a supererogation of pretence. But Blood's wil
fifteen manacled Spanish prisoners, who were thrust into his pres
have heard what I said. Convey it with my compliments to his

Have a good day.

On 2005-03-24 11:51, Rum Balls wrote:
I think all the extra nonsense is an attempt to get through the more lax Spam filters.

That's exactly what it is RB.

dr. freddie provided his typical dose of wisdom here:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=8040&forum=6

RR

There is a plugin in Quark Xpress that does the same thing.

Santa Claus towed umpteen irascible pawnbrokers, yet two obese aardvarks tastes the dogs.
Macintoshes quickly sacrificed five almost irascible televisions. One fountain abused five speedy Jabberwockies. Two poisons tickled Tokyo, then umpteen Jabberwockies telephoned five trailers.

Sometimes the results are quite funny.

ACK... Thanks Johnny. Guess I didn't search hard enough. Sorry all.

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2005-03-27 06:52 ]

RobRoy,
That's called "Greeking" and it's used to represent blocks of text when designing a page layout. It's complete gibberish. I never made the connection!

RR

On 2005-03-24 14:05, Tikiwahine wrote:
RobRoy,
That's called "Greeking" and it's used to represent blocks of text when designing a page layout. It's complete gibberish. I never made the connection!

It is not complete gibberish. Just last week I used it and it spit out War & Peace. Now I have to fire my room full of monkeys

H
hewey posted on Sat, Mar 26, 2005 4:47 PM

For a while I was recieving russian mail order bride catologues in my spam. Some of them were quite cute too! It made my spam sorting more enjoyable...

Pages: 1 33 replies