Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Refinishing Rataan furniture.....

Pages: 1 8 replies

Okay, I just bought an older Rataan couch and chair frame. They look to be finished in a dark paint/stain. The rataan doesn't look to have been burned to make the finish dark as there are several nicks and scratches showing a lighter finish underneath. Now, here's my question for all of you experts out there - what if any finish stripper can I safely use on Rataan. Is it possible to sand it down as the rataan is fairly fiberous and if you start sanding away goes the fibres. Any ideas?

T

I don't think you can refinish rattan. I can't even imagine how it would be done - how would you het the paint out of the nooks and crannies? I would reccommend just spray painting it a color that pleases you.

T

http://www.refinishfurniture.com/refinishwicker.htm

Here's what google coame up with. I still say it doesn't seem worth the time... even refinishing regular furniture takes ages...

Thank Tikifish, I guess I can live with the dark color. I picked a nice antique yellow barkcloth (SP) covering for the cushions with black piping so it will tie it all together. I just thought if there was a way, someone would LMK> Thanks for your time!

B

You can always try sanding a small spot hidden behind the cushions to see how it sands or strips. It may be worth a try.

M

Ok doomsayers...nothing is impossible, only time consuming. I would try using "Citrus Strip" to get the paint off. It does not require any heavy sanding and it'll take any paint off VERY easily. On flat surfaces, you can use a plastic putty knife to scrape with and on round surfaces you can wipe of the removed finish with a pile of rags. "Citrus Strip" is pretty safe to use and is not caustic. It may take several applications to get the desired effect.

Be sure to neutralize the stripper with mineral spirits and allow at least 24 hours before attempting to apply another finish. I would also use steel wool or light sanding paper to remove any uneven spots in the surface after the piece has completely dried.

After you get the paint off, I would suggest using an "Amber" shellac to finish the pieces. It will take a pit longer for the finish to harden, but the results are worth it. There are a number of ways to apply the finish. Follow the directions supplied on the can and use the method that best fits your needs/ability.

Hope this helps,

Matt

I'm with Matt on the Citrus Strip tip...
But Rattan is a bitch, I tried stripping some barstools and never could get them clean. Granted, they had been layered with years of nasty thick paint...
Anyway, you may be able to get enough of the dark finish off to lighten you couch up enough.
I would recommend slathering on the stripper (on the couch that is) and letting sit for several hours and then taking it down to the do-it-yourself carwash and using their power washer to blast all of the crap off.
Once you get it to the state you want, rub the rattan down with boiled linseed oil. It gives the rattan a nice golden glow. You can then varnish over that if you want.
Aloha,
:tiki:

Hey, that's a good idea with the power washer....er, car wash. I wouldn't leave the citrus strip on until it dries though as it hardens and becomes more difficult to remove.

Hey guys - thanks alot. I have used Citri-strip several times on reguler wood but I wasn't sure how it would affect the bamboo. Car wash? I don't think the city (Portland) would appreciate the caustic (less granted) residue ending up in the river. All the storm drains go right into the Willamette River in the heart of the city.

Anyway - thank you one and all. I will try some later this weekend and see.

Pages: 1 8 replies