Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Bamboo question

Pages: 1 6 replies

After scrolling through the progress of the excellent Hale Tiki I noticed that the bamboo used had a warm orangish color to it and in my travels the only type I've encountered is the pale yellow variety, so I was wondering if the poles have been treated or this is a different species of bamboo and if so who carries it.

Oceanic Arts!!! When it comes to creating an old school real Tiki Bar, you must use materials from the only real tiki masters!!!!!

The Rev is right!
Oceanic arts rocks for anything related to poly pop.
http://www.cosmicassociates.com/oceanic_arts_mainframe.htm

Unfortunately, their website lacks pictures of everything they offer (you have to go there - you will be TOTALLY blown away!) and they don't always have a great selection of bamboo (copious amounts of different sizes- yes, always, variety, not always).
I like this site for pictures of different styles of bamboo:
http://www.franksupply.com/bamboo.html
(it may take a while to load on a 56k modem)
I have never ordered anything from them, so I don't know how customer friendly they are (I usually head out to OA for immidiate gratification).
This site also has some bamboo too:
http://www.bamboohardwoods.com/poles.html
and I think they're even up in your neck of the woods!

"Hey, at least I'm housebroken."

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2004-03-15 16:16 ]

S

I think it's just the lighting. Looked like normal bamboo to me.

Thanks guys, One day I'm going to take a U-haul to Oceanic Arts. I dealt with them 9 years ago for a shrunken head and a pufferfish lamp and the guy on the ph was like a tiki enyclopdeia and gave me the run down on tiki establishments (I once lived on Oahu) in my area and what his company did back then. That place sounds like the place every tikiphile needs to take a pilgrimage to and become complete.

I rub a few coats of Johnson's paste furniture wax on my bamboo construction.... gives a rich sheen... and only aging will get that nice golden amber hue that you like. Or get your friends to chain smoke in your home bar for 6 months!

On 2004-03-15 17:24, Traderpup wrote:
and only aging will get that nice golden amber hue that you like. Or get your friends to chain smoke in your home bar for 6 months!

I forgot to say that I was in Georgia. Home of Tobacco! We must have smoked 80 packs a day!!! Pure heaven!!

Arrrr!! Just joking. The Boo is actually kinda roasted when growing in China. You might notice some real dark spots? When it's green in the ground, they do that to straighten it. So, the rest of the pole gets a little extra warmth on it too!! When all the water is gone (green), the skin (yellow)has a suntan with a slight sunburn(dark). You can also learn a shit-load about bamboo if you do a search for the American Bamboo Society. I'm sure they have a chapter in a neck of the woods near you. Amazing shit!

Pages: 1 6 replies