Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Critiki's latest new features: Themed Image Galleries, username photo credits

Pages: 1 2 3 4 182 replies

LT

The Image Gallery feature is great!

Something you might consider adding - which would be a great time saver when uploading images - would be a feature that would allow one to select and upload multiple images in one shot, not only for Critiki but for Ooga-Mooga as well. Maybe even add an option to cross-link images between the two sites, so when you're uploading images to OM you could click a check box that you make those same images available to Critiki, and visa-versa.

On 2009-03-31 08:44, Humuhumu wrote:
Ojaitimo: top ten in what sense?

Humu
How about the top 10 former glory Tiki palaces by vote. We can all vote between Critiki 10's?

Maybe a Top ten of todays Tiki palaces around the world?

H

GatorRob - I am keeping the full size images, and I've thought about making them available for viewing on Critiki. I would like to go ahead & do it, however I do have a small concern about how the original image owners would feel; perhaps I'm being silly, I don't know.

LOL Tiki - I've thought about providing a multi-upload page, but it'll be some work, not just in the back-end code (not so big a deal), but in the UI (bigger deal)... I want to take some care and design something that will minimize confusion, AND minimize people uploading images that are unusable, or filling in the fields incorrectly. But it's on my wish list, too!

Ojaitimo - I'm afraid I still don't follow you... how does what you have in mind differ from Critiki's Browse Rankings section?

Okay, now it's time for today's new image gallery!

Brochures

Selling a dream evening, a dream vacation, or even a dream lifestyle—all are full of rich visuals designed to suck you in.

L

lovin these image gallery additions! great stuff !

Hi Humu!

H

Hi Danny! I miss you!

Today's new Image Gallery is one of my favorites:

Drinks

Tiki's most practical contribution to society: the perfection of the tropical drink. Enjoy photos, illustrations and menu descriptions, with no hangover.

H

Another day, another brand-new Critiki Image Gallery:

Lighting

That unique tiki bar mood can only be achieved with a lot of dim, exotic light fixtures—windows, televisions and neon are traitors against the cause!

T

Wow! Just Wow!
I love the new lighting page!
Pictures like that just start me thinking.
Thank you.

I have a ton of pictures I could add to that.
But do you want only old restaurant lights.
Got a lot of those.
Or do you also want homemade lights as well.
Got a lot of those too.

H

I'm tickled you're inspired by the Lighting gallery, tikiskip. It is a good one, eh? I would LOVE for your lighting pictures to be in Critiki. Since Critiki is location-centric, all pictures are attached to a location and can be uploaded using an "Add it to Critiki" link found on each location's page. If you would be interested in having your home bar (and thus, your homemade lighting) listed in Critiki, I would love that: just shoot me an email at [email protected] with the name of your home bar, the city it's in, and a few little details for the write-up. The exact address will not be listed, no worries of Critiki sending strange people to your doorstep. :)

Today's new Image Gallery is a whopper, with 166 images:

Matchbooks

Flames aren't just for volcano bowls and fire dancers: matchbooks and matchboxes were once everywhere.

T

Thanks Humuhumu,
I will send info soon.
Will need to sign up for your site as well.

Any thing that would be new restaurant/bar people
can reference for their new places is a plus.
And the home tiki bar peeps as well.

Good luck.
Great site!!

Michelle, you're the best! Two of my pet Poly pop categories, first A-frames, and now Beachcomber lamps! Wonderful eye candy, thank you!

H

I thought you'd dig that A-frame gallery, Sven.

Today's new Image Gallery is even bigger, with more than 200 images:

Menus

"Polynesian cuisine"—in truth, typically just Chinese food or ribs—was sold by elaborate menu presentations. Come for the covers, stay for the descriptions and prices!

BK

KOOL! I spotted a couple pics of my fish lamps at The Beachcomber & Taboo! Anyone know who made these lamps & how old they are?

H

Big Kahuna - I don't know exactly which lamps you're referring to, can you link to a picture?

And now for today's new Image Gallery:

Mugs

The tops in Polynesian Pop collecting. Okay, so this image gallery is nothing compared to the mug-centric eye candy that is Ooga-Mooga, but it's nice to see the mugs in context, connected to the information about their restaurants of origin.

You must have just come back from the fabric store SeamstressSeamstress 'cause you have been stiching up quite a mosiac and quilting up a storm. Very nice stuff. Thanks.

H

Haha, thanks The Gnomon!

I have a boatload of new additions to make to Critiki, hopefully tonight -- my trip to the Dallas Trader Vic's has me a little backlogged. You HAVE to go to the Dallas Trader Vic's. It is amazing, and you are missing out. Go.

Today's new Image Gallery:

Napkins

Something as disposable as a small paper napkin wasn't meant to last decades, but a few have remarkably made it.

Okay, so this gallery is a little on the... shrimpy side. I only have 9 images (and two are repeats, because Kelbo's had two locations). Oh well, not all the image galleries can be winners.

H

Mahalo nui loa for all the recent additions and updates to Critiki! A list of recent updates (including tikiskip's home tiki bar) is always available on the Latest Updates page (also available as an RSS feed): Latest Updates to Critiki

Today's new image gallery:

Polynesian Dance

Traditional dances lend some realism to an otherwise faux paradise. Lots of fire, lots of hips... hey now, keep your eyes on the hands!

T

Humuhumu Critiki is great!
It's the nets answer to Book of Tiki.
I'm going to send lots of Kahiki/light/other photos
your way.
Use what you can of them.
Will add comments later.
Is there a page for tiki statues?
I still have not gone through the whole site.

Great Job!!!!

H

Tikiskip, I'm so happy you're getting into Critiki! I got your images, thank you so, so, SO much (seeing them made my day). I'll get them up on the site by the end of the day today.

I started creating an image gallery for tiki carvings, and it was just TOO BIG. So I'm going to break them down by style of carving, and possibly artist. That's going to take a while. But on the plus side, it gives me an excuse to dig into my Oceanic Art books.

Now for today's new Image Gallery (and this is a REALLY GOOD ONE):

Postcards

These Technicolor missives to home are the best source we have for learning what the insides and outsides of long-gone tiki hotspots looked like.

FANTASTIC!!!! What a great service you have done for everyone. Many thanks for your hard work on the site. A great fix for the Tiki addict.

On 2009-04-09 08:19, Humuhumu wrote:

Postcards

These Technicolor missives to home are the best source we have for learning what the insides and outsides of long-gone tiki hotspots looked like.

Humuhumu

Thanks for putting the image galleries together, this one is my favorite of course.

DC

On 2009-04-10 07:55, Dustycajun wrote:

On 2009-04-09 08:19, Humuhumu wrote:

Postcards

Humuhumu

Thanks for putting the image galleries together, this one is my favorite of course.

DC

FAB indeed!

H

Thanks for all the kind words, guys, it really does mean a lot to me. And HUGE thanks for adding so many images from your collections... it's what has made these image galleries possible.

Tapa

Traditional cloth made by pounding bark into thin sheets, which are then painted with repeating patterns using brown dye.

When I was creating these image galleries, first I had to create a way to tag all the images, then I had to tag all of them, and only then could I build the ability to look at them... so there was a lot of time and effort invested before I could get a sense if the visual payoff would be worth it. The first image gallery I looked at was this one, Tapa... and I think I let out an audible gasp. It worked!

H

Waterfalls

Water features, especially waterfalls, have been a big part of Polynesian Pop decorating and landscaping.

H

Murals

Large painted scenes of life in the tropics—with sandy beaches, palm trees, dancing and fishing—enhance the island illusion.

Great additions! The waterfall one supports my experience that good vintage shots of Polynesian restaurant water features are hard to come by.
And the murals: The quality and the sheer amount of the ones at the South Pacific in Newton is just mindboggling. That artist knew his subject!
And I totally forgot about that great painting in the Tiki Lounge at the Modesto Tropics. Do I remember that correctly as an vintage original? It looks so Tiki revivalist!

H

Yeah, fountains in particular are really hard to capture in a photograph. The whole point of their existence is to add a little life & movement, and that's typically lost once they're captured in a static photograph.

Aren't the murals at South Pacific lovely? TIKIPAKA added a bunch of pictures yesterday from Luau Hale in Lenox, Mass. I hadn't seen the Luau Hale murals before, and they are gorgeous. Many are moonlit nighttime scenes, and there's a great trompe l'oeil tiki mask... they're just unusually beautiful. (Mahalo, TIKIPAKA!)

And now today's new image gallery:

Renderings

Idealized versions of an already idealized version of the South Pacific: these artists' conceptions of restaurants, hotels and attractions exemplify Polynesian Pop.

This image gallery is my absolute favorite of them all.

Also, I've made a small improvement to the image galleries on Critiki: you can now use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move through the images. It's a bit faster and more comfortable than using your mouse.

On 2009-04-13 08:12, Humuhumu wrote:

And now today's new image gallery:

Renderings

This image gallery is my absolute favorite of them all.

Humuhumu,

One of my favorites too! Will send some more in for the gallery.

Thanks again for all of your efforts.

DC

H

DC, if you add more renderings to Critiki, you will make my week. Honestly, I can't get enough of them.

Serveware

Beyond the mug: tiki logos and iconography also appear on salt & pepper shakers, plates, drink bowls, glassware and more.

H

Dustycajun, Tiki-Kate, Bora Boris, and others... mahalo nui loa for all the images you added yesterday! There were many jaw droppers in the images I saw yesterday, amazing stuff.

Outriggers

Canoes with stabilizing outriggers allowed Polynesians to explore the massive Pacific, and are a common motif in Polynesian Pop.

Good Stuff! :)

H

Thanks, Ben!

Swizzles

Little plastic picks and sticks to help you eat and drink, and remind you to come back again and again and again...

T

Thanks to all for the images shared.

Love it! Love it! Love it!

H

Witco

Tikis, wall hangings, lamps and more from Witco—the Mount Vernon, WA company of William Westenhaver.

Just keeps getting better and better and better and............. Critiki is a valuble site to both the collector and urban archaeologist. TC and Critiki. A great compliment to one another. Keep up the great work.

Boy, you guys have been keeping me busy, I'm so thrilled! Nearly 500 images have been added to Critiki since I first started announcing these new image galleries a couple of weeks ago. Critiki now has over 3,100 images. THANK YOU!

And now comes the final new image gallery:

Moai

The curious "big stone heads" from Rapa Nui (Easter Island) have appeal both for their pleasing graphic simplicity, and their mysterious origins.

That makes 21 different Image Galleries on Critiki. This is the last of them for now, but I do have plans for more, including more galleries of tikis (grouped by Oceanic art style, and by tiki carver).

D
Danno posted on Sun, Apr 19, 2009 8:28 AM

I can stay on your site all day, week, month, year! Thanks for all your hard work Humuhumu!

On 2004-06-25 00:47, Humuhumu wrote:

One section that is WAY too thin is the Home Bars. For this section, I will not add your home bar without your okay, and I will not approach you about adding your home bar -- I don't want to put you in a potentially awkward position where you maybe don't want your bar in there, but feel like you can't say "no." So, it's up to you to come to me and let me know you want your home bar in Critiki (I can leave the street address or any other info out). I think this is a GREAT option for those of you who have recently lost your fabulous home bars... let it be documented for posterity, right along with other past masterpieces like the Kahiki! As it stands right now, the section isn't doing much, so if I don't get it beefed up soon, I may yank it.

Humu -- I, for one, was thrilled and delighted to have my Paradise Cove home lounge added to Critiki. And I fervently hope many others in the Ohana with home bars/lounges, past or present, approach you pronto to add theirs to your apparently somewhat anorexic home-bars section.

But I find myself wondering just how many TC'ers even realize they can have their home bars added to your site? I'll bet a lot of folks don't know there even IS a category for home bars in Critiki. Initially, I just assumed the site only covered legitimate commercial establishments and nothing else.

Perhaps starting a new thread just about asking folks to submit their home bars to Critiki might do the trick???

Cheers & Mahalo :drink: :tiki:

On 2009-04-18 11:46, Humuhumu wrote:
Boy, you guys have been keeping me busy, I'm so thrilled! Nearly 500 images have been added to Critiki since I first started announcing these new image galleries a couple of weeks ago. Critiki now has over 3,100 images. THANK YOU!

And now comes the final new image gallery:

Moai

The curious "big stone heads" from Rapa Nui (Easter Island) have appeal both for their pleasing graphic simplicity, and their mysterious origins.

That makes 21 different Image Galleries on Critiki. This is the last of them for now, but I do have plans for more, including more galleries of tikis (grouped by Oceanic art style, and by tiki carver).

Kudo's Humuhumu! Great useful & fun additions! I could definitely stay on Critiki all day but I will pull myself away. Fabulous! Thanks Humuhumu :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 182 replies