Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Happy St. Patrick's Day...

Pages: 1 14 replies

M

...what better way to celebrate than with a good joke:

An Irishman moves to the USA. Finally attends his first baseball game.
The first batter approached the batters' box, Took a few swings and
then hits a double. Everyone was on their feet screaming "Run, Run."
The next batter hits a single. The Irishman listened as the crowd again
cheered "RUN, RUN"!! The Irishman enjoyed the game and began
screaming with the fans.

The fifth batter came up and four balls went by. The umpire called
"walk". The batter started his slow trot to first base. The Irishman
stood up and screamed, "Rrrrun ye lazy bastard, rrrun!" The people
around him began laughing.

Embarrassed, the Irishman sat back down. A friendly fan noted the
man's embarrassment, leaned over and explained "He can't run -- he's got
four balls."

The Irishman stood up and screamed, "Walk with pride, lad."

DZ

An Irishman walks out of a bar... Hey, it could happen!

(Still one of my faves...)

I remember something to a dry bit of Irish humor that went:

"Ya know, ol Bobby McGill is an alcoholic, I see him in the bar every time I'm there..."

erin go braless!

A friendly pinch to all ye lads and lassies not wearin' green!

I meself am sportin' a green muu muu, in honor of this fine Irish/Polynesian celebration, dontcha know.

Is there a recipe for green Hawaiians?

M

Yup, drink too many blue ones!!!

On 2004-03-17 14:06, Formikahini wrote:

T

On 2004-03-17 14:06, Formikahini wrote:

The Jade Cocktail is a fine green drink with rum:

Jade
1 3/4 oz. gold rum
1/2 tsp. green creme de menthe
1/2 tsp curacao
1 and 1/2 tsp. lime juice
1 tsp. sugar
Shake with cracked ice and strain into cocktail glass.

I'm wearing a green bowling shirt with "The Shamrock" on the back and green socks. Bowling anyone?

On 2004-03-17 14:15, thejab wrote:

I'm wearing a green bowling shirt with "The Shamrock" on the back and green socks. Bowling anyone?

I'm always up for bowling! :D

I'm wearing my cheesy shamrock earrings, but nothing else green. I'm part Irish, but I really should be wearing orange rather than green.

--cindy

T

I'm already drunk!

(Eastern Time Zone + St Paddys Day + Boozy Ad Agency Lunch = Good TImes!)

TB

Guiness is good! Happy St. Patricks Day!

I'm a dumb drunk. Half Irish, half Polish, or so they tell me.

Lift yer glasses high lads ('n lassies)! A toast to the Emerald Isle.

famous Irish quote of the day:

"I can lick any sonofabitch in the house"
-John L. Sullivan (1902)

Happy St. Paddy's day everyone! Ya big bunch o' Irish-tiki hooligans! :)

I'm part Irish, but I really should be wearing orange rather than green.

FYI - if you wear orange on St. Paddy's day it means that you support the occupation of Ireland. The green wearing (and parades and such in the US) initially started to oppose English rule and for Irish to be proud of who they are and their heratage.
However, if you're Italian, the day after st. Paddy's you're supposed to wear orange. I remember me mum saying it was the Italian patrons saint day (anyone know for sure?)

sorry - it's awfully hard to be seriuous after a couple o' pints o' the good stuff! (GUINNESS!)

On 2004-03-17 22:05, Polynesiac wrote:
Happy St. Paddy's day everyone! Ya big bunch o' Irish-tiki hooligans! :)

I'm part Irish, but I really should be wearing orange rather than green.

FYI - if you wear orange on St. Paddy's day it means that you support the occupation of Ireland. The green wearing (and parades and such in the US) initially started to oppose English rule and for Irish to be proud of who they are and their heratage.
However, if you're Italian, the day after st. Paddy's you're supposed to wear orange. I remember me mum saying it was the Italian patrons saint day (anyone know for sure?)

sorry - it's awfully hard to be seriuous after a couple o' pints o' the good stuff! (GUINNESS!)

No it's not the Italian Patron saint's day, maybe it's for St. Edward the Martyr? He was a king of England. There're 2 other Irish saints with the 18th as their day, 2 Spanish, & a couple of early Martyrs. Italy's Patron saints are Bernardine of Siena, Catherine of Siena, Francis of Assisi, Our Lady of Loreto, Our Lady of Perpetual Help & Our Lady of the Snows. None of their days is March 18th. I can't find the saint who you wear orange for, it may be a local patron saint from Northen Italy. I'll keep an eye out, but I'm not finding it in the standard Dictionaries of the Saints.

It is evident that I need to NOT POST while inebriated because I make no sense. I said (incorrectly):

However, if you're Italian, the day after st. Paddy's you're supposed to wear orange. I remember me mum saying it was the Italian patrons saint day

This is ALL WRONG! The feast of St. Joseph is March 19 (he is the patron saint of Italy) and to show your Italian pride one is to wear RED (not orange like I suggested. As a matter of fact if you wear orange around st. paddy's day you're likely to get your tookus kicked in Irish neighborhoods). I hope this clears things up a bit.

freddiefreelance: Man, you are AWESOME! Talk about coming to the aid of a fledgling TC'er trying to talk out of his ass! Mucho mahalo for your post trying to make sense of my drunken ramblings, and even on a topic that has nothing to do with tiki. In my opinion, you are the epitome of the TC community. Thank you!

Pages: 1 14 replies