Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Attack of the giant Witco Boats!

Pages: 1 14 replies

I found two totally amazing pieces today, a giant Hawaiian Schooner boat, and a big Viking Ship, each measuring 5 feet long and almost 3 feet high! I am pretty positive they are Witco, but thought maybe someone would know for sure. They did Viking stuff right???? The wood is exactly like other witco's I've had the pleasure of seeing up close, and I saw the schooner piece sold with a bar once, but the whole Viking thing threw me off a little.

They're Witco alright (A "Hawaiian schooner" is called an outrigger). Witco created not only Polynesian, but also Viking/Conquistador/Asian/African/Modern/Nautical/ decor stylings. It is quite surprising, even if one reads the measurements on e-bay, how huge many pieces were. Makes them hard to hang...

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2002-08-18 03:26 ]

thanks so much! I thought schooner sounded funny but I just couldn't come up with the name. As for them being hard to hang....I spent all night reaarranging my living room so I could get 11 feet of wall space, and my hubby had to do some serious anchoring to get them to stay!

Saw - but did not purchase - a nicely preserved Witco Conquistador table lamp over the weekend for $75. The base was about 3 feet tall and was carved in the figure of a man with a pointy beard. Sort of a Don Quixote look. The antique dealer didn't seem to know what is was, so I think it could have been had for less.
Also found a set of Don the Beachcomber salt & pepper shakers for $20. Does anyone know if those are hard to come by? I'm not selling, but am wondering if I paid too much.

8T

Finally found a piece of Witco in person.
I understand its a common one, but it came from the original owner who LOVED it but he always had to hang it in his basement. He bought it when he was single and soon after that he got married and the wife said NO WAY is it EVER going to be upstairs! So for all these years it has been kept free of sun exposure and it is very nice and minty looking. We think it looks great in OUR upstairs!

I once was lost............but now I'm found

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki 2005-07-21 16:11 ]

Congrats 8ft!
That's so excellent!
Cool story too, going from one lover to the next.
:) makes me feel all warm inside

-Tw

T

8FT,

It's incredible, it's... awesome!

Dang it, why can't I find a Witco in these here parts. I guess New Englanders were still acquiring Louis VIXX period furnishings in the 60s. :(

H

Gorgeous! Congrats!

It matches the lamp perfectly! Thank goodness for the wife making him "preserve" it in the basement!

Your understated palm frond-y wallpaper is also quite nice.

...and it still seems intact, WITH the outrigger part sticking out from it, thanks to getting it from the first owner. A lot of thriftstore finds of this painting come without it, lost in storage or transport. Congrats!

Here's a Witco viking boat I just bought. It is 47" x 24" and in mint condition. It goes with our home's Swedish tiki motif, at least that's what I told my wife.
KG

Wow, what a classic! A classy classic, that is. Geoff, you have now crossed the line from Tiki/Modern Witco to ALL Witco! Beware, Conquistador is just around the corner!

I too have just come across a pretty neat Witco boat wall hanging.
I was at a antique mall and saw hidden way in the back with many other objects hanging in front of it, what looked like a Witco boat that I had seen on eBay. It was a real pain for the employees to have to reach and take down, but I was hoping to see the words Witco on the back or something. After the clerk almost fell trying to get the thing down I felt compelled to buy even though I could see witco written anywhere.
I asked someone in the know here on the board and they say this is witco, but my new question is, what the heck is this? signature or is a name of the picture? Thanks for your help (sorry about the poor quality picture)

D

Thanks Dawntiki, I could not figure out what the heck that first letter was.
That's pretty cool info!
:)

Pages: 1 14 replies