Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Art Show and Sale @ Minnie's Modesto May 22

Pages: 1 2 50 replies

I am meeting with the owner of Minnie's next week to discuss a possible Tiki Art Show and Sale out on the large patio for this spring/summer. If there are artists interested, post here or PM or e-mail. I know it could be a logistical problem since Modesto is far from the center of the Tiki Universe (LoCal?) but I feel a need to fulfill a hunger for tiki among the local masses. Some of you I will talk to at the S.F. Crawl. Chongolio, this will be a great outlet for you too. I think we will have the carvings covered, it's the paintings and other media we will need to fill. Let's see if there's an interest. All you hobbyist maybe it's time for you to come out of the closet and display your stuff. Do not post your work here. This is only in the infant stages. Poly Pop I've seen your work.....think about it.

Wao Nahele Kalepa Kumula'au Hale

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader on 2004-05-21 18:12 ]

L
Lars posted on Thu, Mar 25, 2004 1:50 PM

Neat.

[ Edited by: Lars on 2004-03-25 15:18 ]

?

L
Lars posted on Fri, Mar 26, 2004 2:49 AM

!!!!!!

:D

Now back to you.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2004-03-26 08:08 ]

L
Lars posted on Fri, Mar 26, 2004 1:19 PM

I think that's a neat idea. There are plenty of good artists on this site. I wish you the best of luck!!

Would you be interested in tattoo flash based on traditional Polynesian and Micronesian design?? I think it goes quite well with the theme.

[ Edited by: Lars on 2004-03-26 13:33 ]

I'm not sure what Tattoo Flash is. ??
I will need to display some paintings. Got some?

L
Lars posted on Fri, Mar 26, 2004 2:34 PM

I'm sorry, that's what I was refering to, paintings on canvas, not actual flash sheets. Let me get some things together, and I'll send you some pics.

[email protected]

You're on.
I haven't seen any of your work.
Also haven't been able to access your website.

L
Lars posted on Fri, Mar 26, 2004 7:56 PM

I'm sorry, I don't really have a website, I was just screwing around.(go figure) I'll send you some pics, to see if you're interested, but I don't know your e-mail address.

Lars, click on the homepg. button below, then you'll find my e-mail.

L
Lars posted on Fri, Mar 26, 2004 8:14 PM

Cool, thank you. I'll get some pics together and mail them to you this weekend.

The date for the show is Sat. May 22 from 6 to 9pm. For you Bay Area TCer's you can do your thrifting, get a bite to eat at Minnie's and check out the show and sale all in one day/night. Right now I've confirmed 3 artists but I'm working on a surprise guest. Also Lars might be displaying his work (although he won't be attending). Come out and check it out and keep an open mind. I'll post more later.

Hey! Sounds very cool. May be able to help fill wall space with bamboo-framed prints of my tiki and tiki-inspired art. I probably can't send originals 'cause they're booked into a show here for May-June, but might be able to work something out...

Going to post some art on TC soon, but in the meantime, you can view it on my website at http://www.TheArtDeck.com.

Hey Travelin' Tiki, thanks for the offer. How are you going to get them down here without paying for the high cost of shipping?

If I ship soon enough, the cost should be under $40 (the frames are extremely light-weight) a price I'm willing to pay to have my art displayed at such a cool event. Hopefully everything will sell & I'll make the money back anyway. If it doesn't,guess I'll just have to figure something out with the return shipping but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Okay TT.
If Lars and you and Poly Pop come thru then we'll have the paintings covered. Plus whatever Chongolio brings.
Be sure to mount some sort of wiring on the back. We can hang all your artworks from the wood patio cover.

Great! I will ship them by the 3rd. That will give 'em lots of time to get down there. How many do you want? I have 8 altogether (just to be clear, I'm sending prints, not paintings.) The final framed size is about 17" x 21" so let me know what there's room for. I'll make up a nameplate with pricing for each one ($$ what kind of cut are you taking?) Also, if its okay I'll send down some business cards to leave out @ the show. :)

Hey TT, I sent you a PM. Look for it.

I figured everything out. The best time to drown out the Tiki Oasis posts is the Sunday morning after. They will all have hangovers and it will be very quiet, incredibly quiet save for our posts. Then we post like hell about our events up here and take over....till they get over their hangovers and start posting all the drunken heathen pics. HAHAHAHA!!!

On 2004-04-27 21:49, Jungle Trader wrote:
I figured everything out. The best time to drown out the Tiki Oasis posts is the Sunday morning after. They will all have hangovers and it will be very quiet, incredibly quiet save for our posts. Then we post like hell about our events up here and take over....till they get over their hangovers and start posting all the drunken heathen pics. HAHAHAHA!!!

https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=8402&forum=6&vpost=84237 :) Lova JT!

tiny bubbles

M

The date for the show is Sat. May 22 from 6 to 9pm. For you Bay Area TCer's you can do your thrifting, get a bite to eat at Minnie's and check out the show and sale all in one day/night. Right now I've confirmed 3 artists but I'm working on a surprise guest. Also Lars might be displaying his work (although he won't be attending). Come out and check it out and keep an open mind. I'll post more later.

-----DANG!! how did I miss this!!! I am always up for a trip to Modesto---mini crawl anyone???

Smiley Man, come on out, it's gonna be great!!

TW

Hey Jungle Trader! It was an honor meeting you and everyone the other night at Minnies! I can't wait until the Art Show. We'll be there for sure and defintely be up for a tiki crawl. :)

I'm into it! All my stuff is hand made by lil ol me!
http://www.suburbanpagan.com

Hey Woo, it was good meeting you as well. See you at the show.

S. Pagan, we have all our bases covered so maybe next show. Thank you very much for the offer.

I'm putting this one back on top of Bandini Mountain.
Randy, Cleen, D-Hat, c ya' at 4, at Minnie's? Woo?
Got some goodies for ya'.

Hey traveler from the great white north, Great site!! I get up to BC every once and awhile. Hows the tiki movement up there? Whistler rocks!!!

See y'all tomorrow. Should be fun. I hope the paint drys.

Chongolio

wwaaaAAAHOOOOO! something is going DOWN in modesto....finally!

come on you bay area folk, come down on saturday and raid our thrift and antique stores. visit the old islander building. look at the tiki apartments in stockton. visit the tiki in mo-town. then come to minnies! i promise, we havent been to ANY thrift stores lately. so there should be plenty o' tiki stock for EVERYONE.

so who's coming?

:tiki:

and chongo~ dont forget our prints! :)

K

Finally something else in No. Calif - but alas I'll be in Monterey this weekend. What's funny is I'd rather be in Modesto!

TW

WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO! I can't wait!!! Today is payday and tomorrow there is a tiki sale in the neighborhood! But oh no! My boyfriend is threatening to leave the truck at home and bring the bike instead.... he knows I'm going to go crazy!!

M

Minnies is ZAZZ!!!

M

this suggestion is a little late--you should add "Modesto May 22" to the topic line to make it stand out--I kept assuming this was another So-Cal event that I couldn't make.

hey! Can somebody give me a ride to Minnie's from SF/Oakland?

It's done Smiley man.
Hope to see you out here Cynful.

A

Cynful, we might be able to give you a ride, but don't know for sure yet if we can go. We have a visitor from out of town starting this weekend, so I just have to find out what our schedule is before I know for sure if we can go tomorrow. I'll get ahold of you privately if so.

-Randy

it was quite the pleasure to be a part of the activites at minnie's last night. we enjoyed looking at the arts and crafts of chongolio, jungle trader, lars, traveling tiki, bosko, and benzart. it was also a great time hanging out with the group, and seeing mr. smiley, tikivixen, and newbie tiki woo. we are eagerly awaiting the pictures of the conch shell with the golem! quite the find mr smiley! it made the torch lighting all the more mysterious. (we hope you are feeling better)
:)

here are some pics:

lovely group shot with mr bali hai (with the drunken hat's hat), jungle trader, chongolio, and melanie.

another view, with heather's lovely prints hanging from minnie's patio.

:tiki:

good times :)

Yeah, that was a lot of fun. It was good to hang out with all y'all again and have quite a few laffs. A big thanks to Jungle Trader for putting this show together and another to the owners and staff at Minnies. I am looking forward to the next show.
Tikicleen and Drunken Hat, let me know how the uke looks in the homestead. Thanks again!
Also, it was nice meetin' ya Tiki Vixen, Tiki Woo and Golem.
Unga, we know you were there in spirit.

See ya next time,
Chongolio

P.S sorry no pics posted, I have to do some housecleaning on my server first.

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-05-24 15:30 ]

M

Somehow, I completely, utterly, and totally missed this thread until today. Fuckity fuck.

And to think I spent my Saturday making two trips to the dump. What a waste. Literally.

Sorry I could not make it guys.
Work can show no mercy at times.
See you soon though!

Yeah, it was fun. Great hangin and talkin' story with my braddahs and sistahs.
For those that didn't make it, mark your calenders for......oh crap....when is International Tiki Day?
The date could be 21st or 28th of August for the next Minnie's Tiki Art Show.

M

AARRGH!!! FOUR Minnies specials that night and I was a wreck the next day!!!! Can't wait to do it again-maybe three and a half Minnies Specials next time!!! :)

M

On 2004-05-23 15:40, tikicleen wrote:
we are eagerly awaiting the pictures of the conch shell with the golem! quite the find mr smiley! it made the torch lighting all the more mysterious. (we hope you are feeling better)
I don't know if this will work-here goes:
[img]C:\Documents and Settings\ADP Client\My Documents\My Pictures\2004-05-24, bar\bar 304.jpg [img]

M

On 2004-05-24 17:56, mrsmiley wrote:

On 2004-05-23 15:40, tikicleen wrote:
we are eagerly awaiting the pictures of the conch shell with the golem! quite the find mr smiley! it made the torch lighting all the more mysterious. (we hope you are feeling better)

I Thought it wouldn't work--bad advice from a friend :)
I don't know if this will work-here goes:
[img]C:Documents and SettingsADP ClientMy DocumentsMy Pictures2004-05-24, barbar 304.jpg [img]

No spark. :(

TW

I had a wonderful time at Minnie's on Saturday and it was great seeing fellow tiki people! The artwork was beautiful. I am looking forward to August!

tikicleen: you missed me hugging the tiki on the way out!

Pages: 1 2 50 replies