Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Travel

MAUI

Pages: 1 31 replies

Here ya go, Tiki Mel (and anybody else interested in Maui):

I'll start with one of my favorite subjects - food! Maui has some great restaurants.

:drink:

Mama's Fish House is pretty good and when I was there (which was a couple of years ago) there was an artist carving a large tiki at the entrance to the restaurant.

http://www.mamasfishhouse.com/

Humu Humu is a restaurant at the Grand Wailea Resort. It has thatch roof and floats upon its own saltwater lagoon filled with tropical fish. They serve drinks in coconuts. To get to the restaurant you have to walk through the premises of this over the top resort - which, at night, means walking along tiki torch-lit walkways around and over the resort's 40 some odd swimming pools. The food's not as good as Mama's, but the ambiance makes up for it. Keep in mind that this place ain't cheap.

http://www.grandwailea.com/dining/humuhumu.asp

Roy's Kahana Grill. This restaurant is owned by Chef Roy Yamuguchi. I think he's brilliant. This is a great restaurant with great service. If you have one nice meal while on Maui, make it here. Keep in mind that, you'd probably want to make reservations.

http://www.maui.net/~mol/roys/roysrest.html

Sam Satoto's in Wailuku is an excellent place to check out the local vibe and try some INCREDIBLY DELICIOUS local dishes. I recommend the Saimin!

Here are two EXCELLENT articles from the Honolulu Advertiser mentioning Sam Satoto's, some of the other places I mentioned, and other treats (MANJU!!!) that you might want to try. Please note that these articles were NOT written by Chef Matt.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/specials/hawaii/halia032101.html

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/specials/hawaii/070101ni.html

There's a great shave ice place in Paia. If you're driving through on the way to Hana (or Mama's) you should see it on the left.

Souvenirs:

Believe it or not, the Kmart in Kahului is a great place to purchase souvenirs. They've got a ton (a whole section) with most items at very reasonable prices.

Accomodation:

Hana Lani Treehouse. Not for everyone, but for my wife and me, this was paradise!

http://www.maui.net/~hanalani/

Scenic Route:

If you do go to Hana, you should, of course, consider taking the highly touted "Road to Hana," but you might want to also consider the drive along the south of the island that connects Hana to Wailea (and on to Kihei). It's gorgeous and, unlike the "Road to Hana" there's hardly any traffic on this road.

Literature:

The town of Lahaina figures very prominently in Michener's "Hawaii."

Steven Goldsberry's "Maui the Demigod" (illustrated by the great Deitrich Varez) is brillant and worth a look-see for the Varez prints alone!

The Moon Travel Handbooks publish a fairly thorough guidebook about Maui.

Have a blast!!!

Tiki :sheckymug: Chris

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2002-08-19 11:04 ]

T

Wow, TikiChris!!! Very in-depth and informative!! Thanks SOO much !!! :D

Tiki Chris...Good job, Cuz!...Let's see what I would add:
Best Loco Moco: Denny's in Lahaina
Best Boiled Peanuts & Spam Musubi: Olowalu General Store
Best Upcountry Restaurant: Hailemaile General Store
Best Upcountry Nightlife: Casanova's in Makawao
Great Upscale Restaurants: David Paul's Lahaina Grill, Lahaina
Pacific'O, Lahina
A Pacific Cafe, Keihei
Best Tacos, Maui Tacos, Napili
Best View...From atop Haleakala when the sun rises
Best Island Events: Makawao Rodeo, Halloween in Lahaina,
Best way to scare yourself: Run across Cane spiders in the sugarcane fields,

Oh, I bettah stop...waxing melancholy now...anything else you need, just let me know...Hope this was kokua, Grey

there's a roy's in, of all places, baltimore maryland. my wahine went there last nite for our 1st anniversary. it's not tiki in the least unless you derive some vestigal aspect from the split bamboo backlit light fixtures.

but boy is it tasty!

if a touch of pretention bothers you, though, beware.

as pablus mentioned in an older post, the hawaiian martini is great. i usually have issue with a drink that has ingredients other than gin, vermouth, and olive being called a martini, but i let it slide in this instance. de-lish! and the appetizers and the molten chocolcate cake are the word.

mahaloz, j$

P
pablus posted on Mon, Feb 2, 2004 8:40 AM

Great list, TikiChris.
Great additions, chef.

I'm already thinking about Hawai'i every single day and lately reading this board is like taking bamboo splinters up the fingernails.

Mmmmmm....bammmmboooooo.

I've traveled a lot - but no place has ever locked itself into my daily thoughts like Hawai'i. Don't they have a term for this like "misplaced soul" or some other new age blab? I even like poi with dried fish.

I second the recommendation for Hana Lei Treehouses! Thanks to the advice of Tiki Chris, Maggie and I spent 3 nights there last year and are dying to go back. If you don't like the idea of camping, or if being alone in the middle of the jungle is a frightening prospect, then this isn't for you, but if you're adventurous and want to wake up to the sound of tropical birds in the morning with a view of the sun rising over the ocean right from your bed, I suggest you check it out.

No Room Service
No TV
No Phone
Cook Your own meals on a campfire
Shower in the jungle
Never see another person the whole time you're there

PARADISE!

T

TikiChris, great stuff!.....

You wouldn't happen to be doing a post on Oahu would you?

M

On 2002-08-20 07:15, chefgrey2 wrote:
Tiki Chris...Good job, Cuz!...Let's see what I would add:
Best Loco Moco: Denny's in Lahaina
Best Boiled Peanuts & Spam Musubi: Olowalu General Store
Best Upcountry Restaurant: Hailemaile General Store
Best Upcountry Nightlife: Casanova's in Makawao
Great Upscale Restaurants: David Paul's Lahaina Grill, Lahaina
Pacific'O, Lahina
A Pacific Cafe, Keihei
Best Tacos, Maui Tacos, Napili
Best View...From atop Haleakala when the sun rises
Best Island Events: Makawao Rodeo, Halloween in Lahaina,
Best way to scare yourself: Run across Cane spiders in the sugarcane fields,

Can I make some comments?
Nothing at Denny's is true Hawaiian. Try Azeka's snack shop for Loco Moco and Cross Cut Ribs.

ONLY Upcountry Restaurant - Haliimaile General Store (ok there are a few hole in the wall places)

Upcountry Nightlife? Nightlife on Maui? The nightlife is on Oahu...

A Pacific Cafe is closed.
Mama's is Da Kine!

I don't own clothes warm enough to hang around on top of Haleakala for sunrise. GO FOR SUNSET!

Halloween is a MUST!

What are you doing in the cane fields? Cane spiders are more fun in your house!

Just my 2 cents worth.

On 2004-02-03 00:37, MauiTiki wrote:

On 2002-08-20 07:15, chefgrey2 wrote:
Tiki Chris...Good job, Cuz!
...Let's see what I would add:I don't own clothes warm enough to hang around on top of Haleakala for sunrise. GO FOR SUNSET!

Excellent comments! But where is the best place to watch the sunset?

I liked the Sheraton where one could imbibe Pina Coladas out of pineapples and watch the torch lighting and cliff diving ceremonies, but what would you recommend?

S

Tiki Mel,

As Tiki Chris mentioned, Humu Humu at the Grand Waialea is a must see, even if you just go there for a drink outta da coconut!

Also, the resort itself is adorned with incredible Hawaiian themed artwork by local artists including bronze sculptures of hula dancers, King Kamehameha, mosaics, and several paintings. They also have collections from Picasso, Warhol, and Botero.

I would also recommend checking out Ulalena at the Maui, Myth and Magic Theatre in Old Lahaina. It's an amazing stage production based on the history and legends of Hawaii. The production features the best local singers, dancers, and acrobats for one of the finest and most powerful productions I've ever seen.

Here is more info if you are interested:

http://www.mauitheatre.com

Have a great time!

M

Excellent comments! But where is the best place to watch the sunset?

The sun actually moves across the sky so the best sunset location can differ weather you visit during summer or winter. During the summer, the westside (Kaanapali or Lahaina) is best for sunset. I'd recommend Leilani's or Hula Grill in Whalers Village, Kaanapali. During the winter the sun will set behind the island of Lana'i, so you'll need to head to the south shore or north to Kapalua. On the south shore we're limited when it comes to oceanfront restaurants. Most of them are located within a hotel. If you are feeling rich, definately check out Humuhumunukunukuapuaa in the Grand Wailea. Sarentos on the beach is nice as well for those wintertime sunsets.

This thread is a good resource. I think Tiki Central could easily produce travel guides that blow away the competition.

After breaking off an engagement that went painfully sour, I decided to use the would-be wedding $$ to take my two sons to Maui for a week of total ahhh.... at the end of March.

Would anyone have information about kid friendly hikes(i.e., not too difficult for a 4 & 8 y/o) and low-key eateries that are easy on the pocket book (and also "kid's okay.")

Any suggestions and/or encouragements would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

-Beatnikine

[ Edited by: Beatnikine on 2004-10-14 10:37 ]

K

Great Ono Grinds in Maui:

Aha 'Aina Cafe on Aewa Place in Pukalani (across from McDonalds)

Cafe 808 - on the main road in Kula (a real locals hangout)

Kitada's Kau Kau Korner (Makawao - excellent saimin noodles)

Pa'ia Fish Market (nothing compared to Mama's Fish House) - just head down the mountain toward the North Shore to Pa'ia is on the corner of Hana Hwy and Baldwin Ave.

But one of the best ono local spots is Hana Hou Cafe - real local atmosphere/homestyle cooking - great opu filler and they also have local island music in the evening.

Also there are a few vegetarian places in Pa'ia and Haiku Veg OUt in Kaiku and Fresh Mint in Pa'ia

RB

Snorkeling - gotta do the Molikini crater trip! A sunken volcanic crater a couple miles off the southwest coast. There are plenty of boats to take you out there. Here's an overview: http://www.coralreefnetwork.com/mpa/molokini.htm
Luaus - the one at the Sheraton is great. A little pricey, but worth it. The Old Lahaina Luau is supposed to be authentic, but wife and I couldn't make that one in our short stay there several years back.
http://www.oldlahainaluau.com/flash.html

K

The Sheraton does not have a luau - you must be thinking of the Westin which is close by and the same property (Starwood). That is very pricey - but not that great I understand.

Thanks Kuuipo and Rum Balls for your posts - the The Old Lahaina Luau is close (I'll be at the Kaanapali Beach Hotel) and Hanna Hou Cafe is most certainly on my list.

Home cooking and Hawaiian music? Sounds wonderful! Many, many thanks!

-Beatnikine

RB

Have a blast! If you have time, you might also check on the status of the new rum company that's in the works. Here's the thread on that:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=9146&forum=10&7

[ Edited by: Rum Balls on 2004-10-18 16:22 ]

TB
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.