Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Got Beer?

Pages: 1 40 replies

L
Lars posted on Fri, Mar 26, 2004 8:59 PM

I know that the exotic drinks are probably the choice of most people on this site, but is there anyone here who would surely pass up that Mai Tai for a beer?? I will be the first to count myself on that list. I love my beer. It makes me happy, and witty, and handsome(well, the beer doesn't really do that. I'm already a looker), and obnoxious, and bolligerent. I just love my beer. Anyone else love their beer??

[ Edited by: Lars on 2004-03-26 21:01 ]

I know a few guys on this place who love there beer, me included but I will not pass up a good mai tai for a beer. Some of the guys here are expert mixologists. Hang around, you'll see. Don't feel put out but this subject has been discussed before.... in fact someone will probably post a link to a past thread soon.
Now I'm gonna get me a beer...hey it's easy.

L
Lars posted on Fri, Mar 26, 2004 9:15 PM

Well, there is one drink that I really enjoy, the Coconaut. But I'll still pick a beer first. It's like alcoholic soda, I love it. Working on a 12 pack as we speak. Drinking beer, watching a Melvins DVD, painting. It's a good night.

[ Edited by: Lars on 2004-03-26 21:23 ]

P.B.R.!
Aloha,
:tiki:

Hey Larz-

Find EKU28 . A "Very Intense" beer. Drink a 6 pack and then tell me what you think. High Times in Costa Mesa has it if it's not avail. in Whittier. Stop talking and go on this mission. Trust me!

L
Lars posted on Fri, Mar 26, 2004 11:31 PM

Mmmmmmmmmm!!!! Sounds interesting.

Interesitng question Lars...
This would be a major problem for me:
to drink a "Perfect" Mai-Tai or to drink a perfectly poured pint of guinness...
I'd probably end up drinking them both...but the guinness first.
However, I never run into this situation, as niether of the two are ever available at the same drinking establishment.

Find EKU28 . A "Very Intense" beer

Sounds intriguing Ben...

EKU28--he's not kidding. I've tried it. If you can get past the taste, it will definitely get you f***ed up! I was told at the time it was the world's strongest beer.
Here's a page about it.

Patrick McNeal,
Lurker Extraordinaire

[ Edited by: Biotron2000 on 2004-03-27 14:03 ]

whoa...
Did lars just get a tikified name going on?
could he be falling pray to "Tiki Culture"?
what could be next, self expression?
taky shirts?
Chisles?
Tune in tomorrow,
Same Tiki time,
Same Tiki Channel.
na na, na na, na na, na na, Tikiiiiiiiii...

On 2004-03-26 22:34, RevBambooBen wrote:
Hey Larz-

Find EKU28 . A "Very Intense" beer. Drink a 6 pack and then tell me what you think. High Times in Costa Mesa has it if it's not avail. in Whittier. Stop talking and go on this mission. Trust me!

Ben, I used to drink that stuff at the hofbrauhaus in Olde World Village (just down the road from you in H.B.). Some ass kickin' brewsky fer sure! Lately I been drinking it's little brother, Spaten Optimator (weighing in at 7.2%). Of course when I feel like I need to excellerate the inebreation process, I bring out the local favorite...Stone Ruination Ale. Which (as Monty Python would say) has a bouquet like an aborigine's armpit and really opens up the sluices at both ends.

Lone Star Beer, and Shiner Bock are my beer faves. I've tried others, I'll drink others if given to me, but I always go back to the Texas beers. Love those German imigrants/transplants. Oh and I don't drink light beers. I have one word for that PI**-Water!

My faves make me 10ft tall and bullet-proof.

-one man aspiring to be everyone’s favorite unkle.
http://www.unklejohn.com

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2004-03-27 23:26 ]

T

Favorites:

English ales are my all-time favorites: John Courage, Fuller's ESB, Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale, Newcastle. They're so well-balanced between bitterness, sweetness, and fruitiness.

German beers run a close second. So many varieties are avialable: bocks, lagers, pilsners, Weiss beer. My recent favorite is Kostritzer, a black lager!

Belgian beers come in third. Lambics are my favorite after-dinner beers.

But on a hot day I still like an ice-cold Budweiser or PBR.

This topic was discussed before here:
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=3654&forum=1

On 2004-03-27 13:59, Biotron2000 wrote:
EKU28--he's not kidding. I've tried it. If you can get past the taste, it will definitely get you f***ed up! I was told at the time it was the world's strongest beer.
Here's a page about it.

Did you check out the page? Includes this quote: "I agree with my friend Henk. EKU is the pits. You wouldn't want to pour this piss down the throat of your mother in law. It must have been brewed by Nazis."

Anyway, I'm currently working my way through Michael Jackson's Great Beer Guide, which has a different beer on each of it's 500 pages. It comes highly recommended as it's so clear and concise, and looks like this in the UK but I understand it looks like this: in the US.

Trader Woody

M

Jackson also publishes an excellent guide to Belgian beers. I get little articles from him each month with my belgian beer-of-the-month shipments.

Folks in the Bay Area (and beyond) should watch this space for a Belgian beer tasting party at my place in a few months. I have a huge collection of rare and unusual beers in many styles from Belgium and I'm anxious to share.

On 2004-03-27 18:40, Shipwreckjoey wrote:

On 2004-03-26 22:34, RevBambooBen wrote:
Hey Larz-

Ben, I used to drink that stuff at the hofbrauhaus in Olde World Village (just down the road from you in H.B.). Some ass kickin' brewsky fer sure! Lately I been drinking it's little brother, Spaten Optimator (weighing in at 7.2%). Of course when I feel like I need to excellerate the inebreation process, I bring out the local favorite...Stone Ruination Ale. Which (as Monty Python would say) has a bouquet like an aborigine's armpit and really opens up the sluices at both ends.

Shipwreck, the next Stone Ruination growler fill is April 16th & 17th. The Special growler fill after that is the 2003 Double Bastard Ale on May 7th & 8th (Mother's Day Weekend)! Woo-Hoo, I'm getting my 3 liter filled!

On 2004-03-29 09:43, martiki wrote:
I have a huge collection of rare and unusual beers in many styles from Belgium and I'm anxious to share.

Have you tried Delirium Tremens? 8)

Michael Jackson may know his beers but in his book on cocktails he describes the "Zombie" as a novelty drink in which rum is crammed like students in a phonebox.

the best belgian beer is "La Chouffe Belgian Golden Ale" its brewed by gnomes.

M

Delerium Tremens? Nice beer, but c'mon- gimme a hard one. It's on draft at Toronado.

La Chouffe is a very nice beer as well, available 'round these parts at BevMo.

And too true about MJ and cocktails- I know we've mentioned that on some thread before. Someone from TC has got to grab the man and sit him down with a proper tropical drink (or seven) until he sees the light. And maybe take some clippers to that nasty beard while you're at it.

Now, the beers here are very tasty. One of my favorites would be the Hermannator made by the Vancouver Island Brewery. It's only available at Christmas time, and it sells out every year. The bottles it comes in are HUGE, 650mL and each comes with a dark chocolate.

HERMANNATOR ICE BOCK is a dark chestnut colour that appears almost opaque. Its full-bodied, rich malt palate blends well with mild bitterness. A smooth, but assertive mouthfeel contains hints of plum spiciness. A warming brandy like finish rounds out this outstanding winter ice bock. It's 9.5%

Another one of my favorites is the Back Hand of God stout. This award-winning dry stout is extraordinarily smooth and mildly hopped with a distinct coffee/chocolate presence.

If you like beer, you should visit Victoria sometime. We host the annual Great Canadian Beer Festival at the beginning of September, which has over 40 beers to enjoy at $1 per glass(.75 US) :wink: http://www.gcbf.com/

On 2004-03-29 12:15, martiki wrote:
Delerium Tremens? Nice beer, but c'mon- gimme a hard one. It's on draft at Toronado.

Hard one? OK, Sam Adams Millenium. 19.5 - 20.0 ABV, Original Gravity 37º Plato (EKU28 has an OG of 28 degrees Plato), fermented with maple syrup, aged in bourbon barrels... Or how about their Utopias? 24 ABV, fermented with maple syrup, aged in port, scotch and cognac barrels... There's an eBay Auction where you can buy us some, only US$1,000!

M

I never could find the Utopias or the Millenium around SF. I would have liked to try the Utopias very much, but obviously not at these prices. We do get that Chocolate Bock and the various Triple Bocks from them from time to time. I've had a few of the Triple Bocks and enjoyed them, as well as a few of their other specialty beers. But I think their regular beers are terrible. American microbreweries (and Sam Adams) are so often under the impression that the more hops you add, the better the beer. American Brewmasters seem to forget that hops are a component of the overall character of the beer, not the only element. This is something the British, Belgians, and Germans understand. I think microbrewers were so eager to distance themselves from the Buds/Millers of the world that they've overcompensated. It's extremely rare that an American Pale Ale or IPA tastes anything like the English equivalent it's trying to emulate.

T

*On 2004-03-29 14:16, martiki wrote:*American microbreweries (and Sam Adams) are so often under the impression that the more hops you add, the better the beer. American Brewmasters seem to forget that hops are a component of the overall character of the beer, not the only element. This is something the British, Belgians, and Germans understand. I think microbrewers were so eager to distance themselves from the Buds/Millers of the world that they've overcompensated. It's extremely rare that an American Pale Ale or IPA tastes anything like the English equivalent it's trying to emulate.

Yes! I can't agree more, more hops is definitely not better. Balanced flavor is key, something many popular American beers, such as Fat Tire (one of the worst beers IMO), fail miserably at. I feel that Anchor Steam is pretty well balanced, would you agree Martiki?

TM1

George Killian's red..that's a fine beer...

And red stripe, from Jamaica..very clean tasting!!

Old Milwaukee, best tasting beer in america, well at least that's what it says on the can. It wouldn't be there if it wasn't true!

M

Personally, I vote for Burgie! as the finest beer in America, if only because it's the only beer with an exclamation point in the name.

I would wholeheartedly agree with you, jab- Anchor Steam is excellent. The quality and balance of ingredients is first rate. I don't know if the unique shallow tub fermentation process has any bearing on the flavor, but there's magic in that beer. Personally, I think it's the San Francisco tap water. Straight out of Hetch Hetchy and into your bottle! In fact, there's a homebrew supply company that sells a pack of minerals that make your water taste like SF water so your beer can taste closer to Anchor.

T

Anchor makes a fine gin (Junipero) and whiskey (Old Potrero) as well. The whiskey is young (one year for the single barrel, three for the rye) so it's best on the rocks or with water.

K
Kono posted on Mon, Mar 29, 2004 7:36 PM

This thread makes me want to head for the nearest import beer store and get back into an old hobby. I used be very much into trying every kind of foreign or exotic or small brewery beer I could find. I also got into home brewing for a few years with some very good results. Nowadays I just drink Miller Lite in the plastic bottles (better than you might think and perfect for the Florida climate).

It's been years since I've delved into the world of gourmet beers but here are a few that I remember off the top of my head:

Boags - I think that was the name, an ale from Tasmania(?). I really loved that beer. My favorite.

Old Nick's - English. Heavy and sweet. Delicious.

Oberdorfer Weissbier - the blonde one. Excellent taste and outstanding bouquet (if you can use the word "bouquet" with beer)

Anchor Steam - been mentioned already

Double Grimbergen - Liked it much better than the Triple. Loved it, in fact.

Those are off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm forgetting some other great brews. Miller Brewing put out some really great "all malt" beers for a while. You could find them in any grocery store for a good price. Very nicely hopped but was d/c after a short time.

Special Mention goes to Haffenreffer Private Stock Malt Liquor. King of the malt liquors. Anyone else ever have this? Like Jagermeister, it seems to have an effect above and beyond mere alcohol. I have a fairly prodigious tolerance level but I've never finished a six pack of Private Stock. Plus they give you a pictograph puzzle inside each bottle cap (at least they did, it's been years). Did a google and according to this linkPrivate Stock has an alcohol content of nearly 7%.

MUST...START...DRINKING...MORE...BEER...

My new local pub serves Deuchars on draft, which was the champion beer of Britian in 2002. I really can't get enough of the stuff. A true quaffing ale! You can get it in bottles, too, so it might well be available in the US.

Trader Woody

the Caledonian brewery is only spitting distance from my house and their pub is my nearest watering hole.

J
JTD posted on Tue, Mar 30, 2004 5:06 AM

On 2004-03-29 19:36, Kono wrote:
Special Mention goes to Haffenreffer Private Stock Malt Liquor. King of the malt liquors. Anyone else ever have this? Like Jagermeister, it seems to have an effect above and beyond mere alcohol. I have a fairly prodigious tolerance level but I've never finished a six pack of Private Stock. Plus they give you a pictograph puzzle inside each bottle cap (at least they did, it's been years). Did a google and according to this linkPrivate Stock has an alcohol content of nearly 7%.

MUST...START...DRINKING...MORE...BEER...

Kono,
In high school, my buddy and I would split a six-pack of Haffenreffer and get blotto. I believe the "Green Monster" (as it was known) was brewed by Naragansett at the time, so locally available in SE Mass. Ah good memories...well what little I can remember.

JTD

I love beer, mostly European (German, Belgian, Irish, & English) but like an occasional Japanese or Mexican Beer with the right foods. My favorites for this season are anything brew from Unibroue Brewery.

Jab- If you dont like hops, definitely stay away from Stone Brews

Martiki - if you like Delirium Tremens, have you tried their noel Delirium?

But the beer i like the most is the ones i brew myself!

M

On 2004-03-30 10:01, Tiki Bird wrote:
I love beer, mostly European (German, Belgian, Irish, & English) but like an occasional Japanese or Mexican Beer with the right foods. My favorites for this season are anything brew from Unibroue Brewery.

Martiki - if you like Delirium Tremens, have you tried their noel Delirium?

Only the Tremens and the Nocturnum. I'll watch for noel come xmas time. I'm usually a sucker for any kind of Winter brew, unless it's from america and over hopped. (Please see Marin Brewing Company's "Hoppy Holidaze" as an example of a big mistake from a normally decent brewing company.) In fact, I've got a few of the wonderful Samuel Smith's Winter Welcome in the fridge now (hello clearance sale!) Anchor's Xmas beer is usually interesting- different top secret recipe every year.

True also that I enjoy Negra Modelo with a burrito or Singha with Thai food. I would never drink Singha out of that context, however. Well, if there was nothing else to drink, it would still be a lot better than sobriety.

And I can't say enough great things about Unibroue. Those canucks are masters of the art. Maudite & La Fin du Monde are outstanding, but Unibroue 10 and 11 are incredible as well. Buy 'em if you see 'em folks.

T

The Lost Weekend Lounge in Alameda has quite a few Belgian beers available (including a Unibroue), and Czeckvar on tap. Plus you can hear yours truly play music on Monday nights! It's at 2320 1/2 Santa Clara (just off Park).

(a blatant self promotion)

Anyone tried Alaskan Smoked Porter?
There were a few bottles in my local supermarket, but at the equivalant of $5.50 per bottle, it seems rather pricey & perhaps not worth the risk. Instead I bought a couple of spring brews from the UK - Shepherd Neame 'Early Bird' & Bateman's 'Spring Breeze'.

Perhaps we could have a thread of beer reviews as there seem to be enough people here with adventurous tastebuds to warrant such a thread.

Trader Woody

[ Edited by: Trader Woody on 2004-03-30 11:33 ]

T

*On 2004-03-30 11:32, Trader Woody wrote:*Perhaps we could have a thread of beer reviews as there seem to be enough people here with adventurous tastebuds to warrant such a thread.

Isn't that what this thread is about?

On 2004-03-30 11:32, Trader Woody wrote:
Anyone tried Alaskan Smoked Porter?
There were a few bottles in my local supermarket, but at the equivalant of $5.50 per bottle, it seems rather pricey & perhaps not worth the risk. Instead I bought a couple of spring brews from the UK - Shepherd Neame 'Early Bird' & Bateman's 'Spring Breeze'.

Perhaps we could have a thread of beer reviews as there seem to be enough people here with adventurous tastebuds to warrant such a thread.

Trader Woody

Woody, Alaskan Smoked Porter is great, but you have to like Smoked beers. Have you tried any German rauchbiers, or have an afinity for some of the smokier of the single malts? It's 1 of the best smoked/smoke-flavored beers in the world, it's won 11 medals @ the Great American Beer Festival (mostly Gold), a Bronze & a Silver @ the Brewing Industry International Awards in Burton-on-Trent, and 2 sivers & a gold medal at the World Beer Cup.

Dr FF,

Well, you can't argue with that medal haul. I'll have to give it a try sometime soon!

Jab - Well, this thread seems mainly to be people talking about their favourite beers rather than actually reviewing them. Perhaps I should have elaborated on what I meant by a review. An actual review of a beer would consist of doing a tasting, then jotting down thoughts, however negative or positive they may be. You can't really do a proper review of a beer you tasted 6 months ago beacuase of all the factors involved - how much had you drunk already - had you just been eating spicy food - were you already in high spirits because of the people you were with, etc, etc.

So, ideally the review should be accompanied by a photo of the bottle and be written as the beer is being drunk, or as soon as possible after. Possibly the best reviews would be of beers people hadn't tried before, so reviews would be a lot more objective.

Trader Woody

T

On 2004-03-30 15:48, Trader Woody wrote:
Jab - Well, this thread seems mainly to be people talking about their favourite beers rather than actually reviewing them. Perhaps I should have elaborated on what I meant by a review. An actual review of a beer would consist of doing a tasting, then jotting down thoughts, however negative or positive they may be. You can't really do a proper review of a beer you tasted 6 months ago beacuase of all the factors involved - how much had you drunk already - had you just been eating spicy food - were you already in high spirits because of the people you were with, etc, etc.

So, ideally the review should be accompanied by a photo of the bottle and be written as the beer is being drunk, or as soon as possible after. Possibly the best reviews would be of beers people hadn't tried before, so reviews would be a lot more objective.

In that case .... nevermind!

On 2004-03-30 16:06, thejab wrote:

[i]In that case .... nevermind!

It's really that difficult?

Trader Woody

T

I mean I think it's a good idea, Trader Woody, to have a real review topic, now that I know what you meant.

Oh, I thought you were having a go at me! :)

Cheers
Trader Woody

Pages: 1 40 replies