Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Polynesian Room & Pago Pago Bar-Del Mar, CA

Pages: 1 11 replies

Any of the TCers in San Diego/Oceanside know anything about this place? Food Fit For The Gods? California's only authentic Polnesian restaurant? Wow!

Bongo, that's a new one on me. How old is that matchbook cover? The number is out of service on the 760 area code & a FAX machine on the 858 area code. Del Mar is a pretty hoite toite place. They might not want to talk to me. I wonder if they do a sunday brunch. From all reports, tomorrow looks to be a nice day for a drive.

Was in with other matchbooks that appear to be from the 60s & 70s, so probably gone or we would have heard something about this place. No address, and the only thing I could find online was the Doubletree Del Mar Hotel. Good luck.

On 2004-03-27 19:03, Shipwreckjoey wrote:
Bongo, that's a new one on me. How old is that matchbook cover? The number is out of service on the 760 area code & a FAX machine on the 858 area code. Del Mar is a pretty hoite toite place. They might not want to talk to me. I wonder if they do a sunday brunch. From all reports, tomorrow looks to be a nice day for a drive.

If thats from the 60's or 70's, the area code would have been 619.

Perhaps a trip to the Del Mar Library, and a search trhough any old telephone books they have might reveal more???

TG

Who vaguely remembers visiting an Oceanic themed restaurant in Del Mar in the early 70's. I remember the Ocean outside more than the restaurant, but then I was a moody kid.

I have a pair of Rum Barrel mugs from the Pago Pago that I picked up from Bob at OA about 4 years ago. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Pop, those are from the Pago Pago in Arizona. OA bought out the owners left overs in the late 90s, he had TWO Arizona Tiki restaurants (the 2nd's name escapes me). That's were they got all those damaged lamps from that were hanging over their storage area...

Brian, you were a local then, do you remember?

Pop, did I ask you this before?:
WHY is "Pago Pago" pronounced like "Pengo Pengo"?

On 2004-03-27 21:12, TikiGardener wrote:

No, it would have been 714. The 619 area code didn't come along until the early 1980s.

On 2004-03-28 10:42, bigbrotiki wrote:
Pop, those are from the Pago Pago in Arizona. OA bought out the owners left overs in the late 90s, he had TWO Arizona Tiki restaurants (the 2nd's name escapes me).

ahhh..... ok, I didn't know that. Makes sense as Bob did tell me he bought back the stuff they did for them.

On 2004-03-28 10:42, bigbrotiki wrote:
Pop, did I ask you this before?:
WHY is "Pago Pago" pronounced like "Pengo Pengo"?

No you didn't ask me that before. But I didn't know that either! Bob actually pronounced it "Pah-goe Pah-goe". Didn't know that it was pronounced differently.

Bigbro, do you happen to have photos of this place before it closed down? (The one in Arizona)...

**Poly-Pop ***

He who dies with the most broken mugs WINS!

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2004-03-28 19:18 ]

Photos....Nope, sorry.

All this talk of early area codes reminds me...
My family in Arizona are private investigators/locaters & they recently bought almost 3 full truck loads of old 50's-60's phonebooks from all over the US.

I'm going to Scottsdale in a couple weeks to visit them.
I was intrigued at the prospect of looking for old tiki bar ads in the yellow pages anyhow, but this post reminds me that my trip might yield some interesting info and/or visual nuggets.
I'll scan anything I can & post what I find.

(not that I'll necessarily find anything related to this particular thread, but it could be interesting!)

On 2004-03-28 15:56, cynfulcynner wrote:

On 2004-03-27 21:12, TikiGardener wrote:

No, it would have been 714. The 619 area code didn't come along until the early 1980s.

You are correct sir! Now I can remember myold phone number correctly.

Thanks!
TG

Always wondered what the matchbook looked like. One came up on ebay recently and I grabbed the images. Cool looking place, too bad no more info surfaced.

DC

Pages: 1 11 replies