Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

State Quarters: 50th State's design?

Pages: 1 43 replies

M

So, in 2008, Hawaii will debut its state quarter. From what I've been able to find, they're still working on a design for the back.

Folks, this is our chance. This is the only opportunity we may ever have to get a tiki on regularly circulated US currency. Imagine how great it would be to walk down the street jangling a pocket full o' Ku. "How much for that newspaper?" "That'll be one Ku, sir." Plus (no debate here please) wouldn't it be cool to look at Ku with the words "In god we trust" written underneath? heheh. If we don't act, you know the design will just be a can of spam.

Any graphic designers on TC wanna take a stab at a design for kicks?

Where do we start the petition?

A

martiki wrote:
Where do we start the petition?

Here:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com

See link on top right hand side where it says "Create Petition".

Enter The SoCal Hoity Toity Schedule

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2004-03-30 19:30 ]

What, no tiki mug?

How about a tiki in front of Diamond Head in front of a rainbow.

I

I vote to put Hawaii's state bird on the quarter. And I don't mean the nene.

E

It looks like writing to the governor would be the way to go.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/50sq_program/index.cfm?action=evaluation

Canada has an interesting quarter related thing happening right now:

Hang on to any of the new Newfoundland quarters. If you have them,
they may be worth much more than 25 cents. The Canadian Mint announced
today that it is recalling all of the Newfoundland quarters that are
part
of its program featuring quarters from each province.

"We are recalling all the new Newfoundland quarters that were
recently issued," Canadian Mint Deputy Minister Jack Shackleford said
Monday. "This action is being taken after numerous reports that the new
quarters will not work in parking meters, toll booths, vending machines,
pay phones, or other coin-operated devices."
The quarters were issued in the order in which the various
provinces joined Confederation. and have been a tremendous success among
coin collectors worldwide.
"The problem lies in the unique design of the Newfoundland quarter,
which was created by a team of Newfoundland natives," Shackleford said.
"Apparently, the duct tape holding the two dimes and the nickel together
keeps jamming the coin-operated devices."

hehe
Well I for one would LOVE to see a tiki on a quarter.

D'oh! You burned me, Tikiwahine. I was totally buying into your story until the punchline. At least now I don't have to rummage through my pocket change looking for newfie quarters.

Early April Fool's! I'll buy ya a drink to make up for my cheeky ways, SDT.

-TW

TW: You're on. Send me a train ticket (since I don't fly) and I am so there. :)

Well, since there are no tiki bars in Victoria, I'd have to make you one, and if I'm gonna make you one, I'll make you a dozen. Sounds like a much better deal anyhow.
But ya gotta get here on your own accord :wink:

How did you know I drive an Accord? (& don't you mean "in" not "on"?)

T

It looks like the Hawaiian quarter is go!:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/14/hawaii.quarter.ap/index.html

Quote:
"Kamehameha, who ruled in the early 1800s and unified the islands, beat out designs that featured a hula dancer, Diamondhead on the main island of Oahu, and a surfer modeled after a young Duke Kahanamoku."

What , not ONE with a Tiki? :D Oh well, it's the mainlander's icon, after all.

W

I searched but couldn't find if the Hawaiian quarter will be the first piece of United States money featuring a king. (There is the king salmon on the Washington quarter, but I was thinking of royalty not yummy fish.)

On 2008-10-15 07:40, woofmutt wrote:

I searched but couldn't find if the Hawaiian quarter will be the first piece of United States money featuring a king. (There is the king salmon on the Washington quarter, but I was thinking of royalty not yummy fish.)

Or another language besides English!

Just remembered E pluribus unum, Latin for "Out of Many, One," (Thanks Wikipedia) was used on many coins.

[ Edited by: Mongoloid 2008-10-15 08:43 ]

I

The following thread features photos of an unofficial Hawaii quarter, featuring a nude and tiki ...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23943&forum=12&0

The company making these now has nude quarter designs for all 50 states.

M

Aloha,

If you look at the Honolulu Star Bulletin today, there is an article regarding the Hawaii state quarter. (www.starbulletin.com)

On 2008-10-15 09:25, ikitnrev wrote:
The following thread features photos of an unofficial Hawaii quarter, featuring a nude and tiki ...
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=23943&forum=12&0

The company making these now has nude quarter designs for all 50 states.

Ha, forgot about that one. Probably because their Hula girl is a generic nude (no lei or palm frond skirt) and their Tiki looks like Richard Nixon. :lol:

K
KuKu posted on Wed, Oct 15, 2008 5:40 PM

I like the nude Alaska one, kinda looks like their Governor...:o

On 2008-10-15 17:40, KuKu wrote:
I like the nude Alaska one, kinda looks like their Governor...:o

Hey Punker!

Chill........

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29953&forum=1&47

There will be time for anarchy later.

lol.

in our rocking chairs!

H

I know these quarters have been circulating since 2008, but I have yet to actually see one. I know they were minted in both Denver and Philadelphia but what did they do, only distribute them in Hawaii?

Anybody here on the mainland have one of these yet?

I have a couple. But I have to admit I got them when I was back home last month. And I won't be "circulating" them here!

I found one for our 50 States quarter collection, after that I quit looking.

R

not one here in l.a.

I got one today in some change, so the banks are now circulating them. If you ask at your bank, you could get one/some that haven't been handled much.

RB

Finally got one here in Oregon last month. That's the only one I've seen.

On 2008-10-15 07:40, woofmutt wrote:

The reverse of Hawaii’s quarter features Hawaiian monarch King Kamehameha I stretching his hand toward the eight major Hawaiian Islands. Inscriptions are the state motto "UA MAU KE EA O KA ‘ĀINA I KA PONO," ("The life of the land is perpetuated in righteousness"),"Hawaii" and "1959."

King Kamehameha I is a revered figure in Hawaiian history. He unified the governance of the Hawaiian Islands into one kingdom in the early 1800s and navigated changes in Hawaii, while maintaining the native practices and traditional ways of island life. His "Law of the Splintered Paddle" guaranteed the protection of citizens from harm during war and became a landmark in humanitarian law. He is honored with a statue in the U.S. Capitol’s National Statuary Hall.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_programs/50sq_program/states/index.cfm?state=HI

I know someone who bought a thousand. :D

yes, but where is the Tiki?
:wink: :o

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I got a Hawaii quarter free for whoever wants it. Be the first one to post here then PM me your mailing address

I want it!! I collect the quarters. I'm finishing up the collection my Grandma started before she passed away a few years ago. She was born in 1906, so she saw a few states come in and saw alot of history. She was a really special person.

I'll pm you!

:drink:
Tacky

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

I found a Puerto Rico quarter today, that means the Samoa and Mariana Island quarters can't be too far behind.

I found a new quarter today, I didn't even know we were minting quarters for our northern territories

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

H

On 2009-08-22 09:07, MadDogMike wrote:

A Kava Bowl on a U.S. quarter! I would never have imagined such a thing. Very nice. I gotta gets me some.

F
Fugu posted on Tue, Nov 3, 2009 6:06 PM

I got one of the American Samoa quarters the other day. It's pretty cool.

Well I still haven't found a Samoa quarter with the Kava Bowl but I did find a Guam quarter today with an outrigger canoe

Is Guam considered part of Polynesia?

I look at every quarter that passes through my hands and after my whine last night :up: I got a Samoan quarter today! :)

B

On 2010-06-26 19:50, MadDogMike wrote:
I look at every quarter that passes through my hands and after my whine last night :up: I got a Samoan quarter today! :)

I was gonna mail you the one I found at the bead store the other day - we were trying to figure out what the "mops" were for! LOL

I'm really not a coin collector. We got a book with 55(?) slots in it when the kids were little, I finally found all the states and territories to fill the book and quit looking at quarters.

Today I happened to find a Gettysburg National Park quarter in my pocket, turns out they have a new series of quarters that will feature a national park from each state and territory. The Hawaii Volcanoes National Park quarter will be released sometime later this year. Final image selection has not yet been made, here are some of the leading designs (sorry, no tiki)

Now I guess I'll have to get another book and start a collection "for the grandchildren" :D

Aloha,

On 2012-01-02 19:52, MadDogMike wrote:

Turns out they have a new series of quarters that will feature a national park from each state and territory. The Hawaii Volcanoes National Park quarter will be released sometime later this year. (sorry, no tiki)

The "City of Refuge" IS a National Park, so I suppose they are waiting to put a Tiki on US currency.

There is a postage stamp. Here are two First Day of Issue cachets in my collection...

There are MANY others. Visit your local stamp and coin shop.

RB

I just got one of the Hawai'i Volcanoes quarters today, first one I've seen!
Still haven't come across any of the Samoa or Guam ones yet, though.

Pages: 1 43 replies