Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Album Release Party Tonight! For one of our very own...

Pages: 1 23 replies

T

Yes, one of our very own TC members has broken into the world of Exotica sound...

Look for them in stores now!

I'm so there!

T

That's uneasing and funny all at once (ouch!).

TM1

Oh my hell!!!!!

At least he plays the conch well!!!

UB

Cute! Does she have a sister?

Some of my favorite tracks include:

1. Stairway to Rapa Nui
  2. Baby Got Okole
  3. Somewhere over the Volcano
  4. 99 bottles of Mojito on the wall
  5. Brown Eyed Wahine

Folks -- I will be selling this CD in limited quantities at the SF Tiki Crawl. Line forms to the left... no autographs please...

C

Hey Ylop you ol crowd pleaser, Are you going to do the bit with the flaming spears, a pineapple and the two pigs?

Chongolio

See all y'all tomorrow!

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-04-01 12:24 ]

What wonderful news! So glad to hear that the sultry and shadowy Pop Ylop is making public appearances after all these years. Will there be any more West Coast appearances? I'd love to meet the Ylop whose moody musical progressions and silky vocals have set the right tone in my tiki room for so long. If I can get him to sign my vinyl, those gems are getting framed! Thanks letting us all know about this wonderful development! WOW!

-Weird Uncle Tiki

is it true that Ylop is the descendent of Pele, and that he has a one and a half octave range?

I can't WAIT 'til the Texas tour of his orchestra, featuring Moishe ViBongco!

M

We were very very fortunate to to have secured Pop Ylop for his performance debut at the Grotto. He's well known as a tempermental performer who can be difficult to please. When I met his manager to discuss the terms, I knew things were going to be weird. He was this imposing man with piercing eyes and a three foot long goatee. He was wearing a mickey mouse t-shirt and insisted that I call him poodle or puppy or something. He presented me with a rider listing all of Pop Ylop's backstage needs:

six bottles of aged rum
a lime
lavender scented body wash
coconut bra
eight dozen lumpia
36 pounds of ceramic mug fragments to fill bathtub.

But I went along with it, because it was such a rare opportunity. Pop Ylop is such an enigmatic figure. For example, is he single or a taken man? Each album cover tells a different story....

i'm speechless!

I hope he performs his classic rendition of "I Broke my Mug (In San Francisco)!"

TM1

My band opened up for Ylop back in '79..she fronted a band called "Black Utot"

They had a number one hit in the Philipines, called "shing-a-ling de cavite"

As I recall, Ylop would usually perform with full lateral nudity...

One of our road crew got it on with one of thier road crew!!!

Several us tried to Get Ylop's attention, (because she was strikingly beautiful)but she was so busy with the interviews, the scandals and her subsequent deportation to canada, and then that countries refusal to admit her...

Last I heard she had bought a now defunct hockey team, The Charlestown Chiefs..

ok, that's absolutey friggin' hilarious!!
That would make an awesome t-shirt!

M
mig posted on Thu, Apr 1, 2004 5:09 PM

Fuck the three tenors, I think that Pop Ylop and Poncey Ponce would make a good duo.

Now THAT'S F*cked-up, Y'all!

Oh my gawwd! That's frickin' hilarious and unsettling all at the same time.

I just want to say "Here we go again!" for years now I have had to endure living in the inimitable Pop Ylops shadow! Its unbearable. The string of hits, the rave concert reviews, the close ties to legendary ukulele legend Poncie Ponce...but what about me. And then just when I thought it was safe to come out into the light and release a CD, BAMM! ! ! Ylop is back on the scene with more mind bending musical masterpieces, and I can confirm that octave and a half range, I've heard all 12 notes! I give up. I quit. I can't go on. A King is just a King, but Ylop is a GOD!!

I am officially announcing my retirement as of this moment. 10:34PM April 1st, 2004. Viva Pop Ylop!

Will Pop Ylop retaliate? Anything new from Pup RedArt?

K

He's the Bright, Elusive Butterfly of Love. Oh mercy, I'm laughing & cying at the same time.

M

Sadly, Ylop would not come out of her dressing room last night. There was some screaming and breaking noises. She was yelling something about how the lumpia were pork & vegetable, and not the all-pork ones she prefers. But I did enjoy the company of her manager Poodle, who I can confirm has a three food goatee and a mickey mouse shirt.

I also learned, as you can tell from this post, that Ylop prefers to be called a she. Poodle informed me that, even though Pop Ylop is a hermaphodite with two fully functional sets of genatalia, she is currently embracing her feminine side.

K
kctiki posted on Sun, Apr 4, 2004 6:17 AM

His limited engagement in Branson was both tender and virile. I wouldn't think the occassional creative pique could overshadow an otherwise stellar career.

As a long-time charter member of the "We love you Ylop" fan club, words can't express the growing excitement we are all feeling in our... um.... hearts!?! WE LOVE YOU YLOP! Welcome back after that long battle with hermaphrodidia!
Holden

OMG!

Did you all just see who is the latest member of TC? The inimitable Pop Ylop her/himself!!!! I can hardly wait to read The Exotic One's posts!!

Pages: 1 23 replies