Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Best Tiki Books

Pages: 1 15 replies

Hey all,

I want to get some Tiki books with pictures to give me ideas for constructing my own tiki bar. What books would you recomend?

Thanks,
Blue Moose

Well, it sounds like a rather obvious response, but you really can't go wrong with 'The Book of Tiki' by Sven Kirsten. Buy it, absorb, read again, then check out the 'Creating Tiki' forum on Tiki Central for all kinds of ideas and tips on creating your own Tiki bar.

Once you've done that, you should be pretty much hooked, so it's really a case of checking out the other forums, deciding what elements of Tiki interest you, then going on from there.

Trader Woody

D

Hey,Blue Moose!Before you take a trip to the bookstore or library,check out the TikiCentral member photos-they're unbelievable!!!Plenty of wonderful ideas to be found!!!

On 2004-04-02 16:06, docwoods wrote:
check out the TikiCentral member photos-they're unbelievable!!!Plenty of wonderful ideas to be found!!!

Woah, I completely forgot about the photo section! It used to be accessible by a locked thread at the top of the main section. How do you get to it these days?

Trader Woody

B

On 2004-04-02 16:14, Trader Woody wrote:

On 2004-04-02 16:06, docwoods wrote:
check out the TikiCentral member photos-they're unbelievable!!!Plenty of wonderful ideas to be found!!!

Woah, I completely forgot about the photo section! It used to be accessible by a locked thread at the top of the main section. How do you get to it these days?

Trader Woody

It's posted in the Test Message Area in Other Stuff.
http://www.tikicentral.com/tikicentral/archives/

[ Edited by: badmojo on 2004-04-02 17:14 ]

That's an EXCELLENT recommendation, Trader Woody, I would second that...in fact, buy TWO Book of Tiki, and put one under your pillow, to subconsciously absorb Tiki knowledge...
Or better yet, buy TWENTY, and wallpaper your entire apartment with the pages, slowly covering them with the bamboo and rattan that will turn your abode into a Tiki haven.

Oh, I forgot, I don't get percentage... :(

On 2004-04-02 17:19, bigbrotiki wrote:
in fact, buy TWO Book of Tiki...
.....and wallpaper your entire apartment with the pages

Ha! I do have two copies of 'The Book' and one was destined to be used for 'decorative purposes'. However, I couldn't bear to take a pair of scissors to it when it came to the crunch, so both copies remain intact.

Perhaps I need a third copy for the basement...

Trader Woody

N

I second copy maybe in order for me too, my parrot took a liking to the puffy front cover and desided that it's his favorite new toy. When does the paperback edition come out?

Oh boy, I always wanted to find out WHAT is actually INSIDE that puffy cover!? Do tell...

The paperback is out now, exactly the same in pages and size, it just LOOKS a little bit smaller because the puffy cover had millimeters more dimension. And it's 10.- bucks less.
And Puffy is hard to find now, your parrot should know that!

N

On 2004-04-02 18:12, bigbrotiki wrote:
Oh boy, I always wanted to find out WHAT is actually INSIDE that puffy cover!? Do tell...

There is a creamy nut and noughat center under that front cover, I don't blame the bird.

And Amazon has the paperback at the bargin basement price of $15.39 so look for your royalty check soon. That is unless I can charter the Concorde and hit your latest book signing soon and get an autographed copy.

[ Edited by: naugatiki on 2004-04-02 20:09 ]

On 2004-04-02 20:07, naugatiki wrote:

And Amazon has the paperback at the bargin basement price of $15.39 so look for your royalty check soon.

Uh, yeah, royalties, that's the word I was looking for when I said "Oh, I forgot, I don't get percentage.."
Well I don't get EITHER, 't was a flat deal...
But that's why Taschen is so successful, they have this amazing price-to-quality ratio, and their distribution is worldwide, so I'm not complaining.

That is unless I can charter the Concorde and hit your latest book signing soon and get an autographed copy.

C.U. at Trader Vic's Atlanta this Saturday the 10th? C'mon...

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki on 2004-04-03 15:55 ]

N

[i]On 2004-04-03 15:53, bigbrotiki wrote

Uh, yeah, royalties, that's the word I was looking for when I said "Oh, I forgot, I don't get percentage.."

You're making it easier for me to use Amazons "Buy One Used" to replace this cuttle bone.

That is unless I can charter the Concorde and hit your latest book signing soon and get an autographed copy.

C.U. at Trader Vic's Atlanta this Saturday the 10th? C'mon...

Let's see I could charter a bus in Seattle and posibly pick up some TCers along the way there A la Electic Kool-Aid Acid Test but subsitute mai tais. I'm about due for a road trip. The 10th you say?

[ Edited by: naugatiki on 2004-04-04 12:22 ]

I'll chime in with the others to say that "The Book of Tiki" is the most comprehensive history of the culture for anyone who is doing anything Tiki--I've had it for some months now, and I've noticed that it is so VERY dense with historical and pictorial detail that it's impossible to simply "read through it" and get everything.

Each bite takes a bit of mental chewing, and the whole thing can only be absorbed over a period of time. It appears to have been designed to work this way! Calm down, open a bottle, and take it slow, folks.

Truly it gives you your money's worth, and substantially more...

On 2004-04-04 11:01, procinema29 wrote:

Each bite takes a bit of mental chewing, and the whole thing can only be absorbed over a period of time.

looks like he'll be a smart parrot but if he does it again he'll be a dead parrot

Blue Moose,

Check out the thread "The Well-Read Tikiphile"

Blue Moose,

Check out the thread "The Well-Read Tikiphile"

Pages: 1 15 replies