Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Barrel Mugs - opinions?

Pages: 1 29 replies

Barrel Mugs seem to occupy a dark corner of Tiki, with little popular enthusiasm for their existence. I walked past a pair of them in an antiques shop a couple of days ago, thinking 'nearly Tiki', and looked for something more interesting. But, there's a recipe in the Grog Log that prescribes a barrel mug as the ideal receptacle.

Trader Vic's still does a rum barrel and Don the Beachcomber did something similar in the past, but is this an aspect of Tiki Culture that could easily slip away without anyone noticing?

Trader Woody

yes, seems like most people dont talk about the naval or nautical stuff much here. only the tiki, but to me a tiki bar is not, without all of the sea going junk all over the place. i've been looking for the kahiki barrel mugs for a while now with no luck.

K
Kono posted on Sat, Apr 3, 2004 8:18 PM

I'm always on the lookout for rum barrel mugs but never find them. Now, of course, you have to make sure it's a rum barrel and not a whiskey barrel which is definitely not tiki. :wink: The ones with the bar or restaurant name on them go for decent enough money on ebay (meaning I've yet to win one).

I love barrel mugs. But the ines I usually see scream "Velcomin to za BeeeeeeeeerHaus!"
TG

J
JTD posted on Sun, Apr 4, 2004 10:14 AM

On 2004-04-02 17:08, Trader Woody wrote:
Trader Vic's still does a rum barrel and Don the Beachcomber did something similar in the past, but is this an aspect of Tiki Culture that could easily slip away without anyone noticing?

Trader Woody,

The Mai-Kai still does the Rum Barrel as well. Tiki Farm produces the mugs and they are sold in the gift shop, when in stock.

JTD

S
Swanky posted on Sun, Apr 4, 2004 1:37 PM

Dave, one of the owners of the Mai Kai says they go through about 300 barrel mugs a month. There are a lot of them out there...

i got three orchids barrels about a month ago. no handles. they're an odd pinkish orange glaze, not very attractive. they almost look like pumpkins. the price was right, tho ~ 3 of them for 10. i consider them like some of the coconut shells, they're fine to serve drinks to folks who don't really attach too much significance, and if it gets dropped i'm not bothered. ahoy! btw i've seen plenty of handled barrel mugs with markings often from england or u.s.a. i think there was a "tankard" fad at some point ~ i think they never really saw the inside of a polynesian establishment. my $.02 - j$

Trader Woody wrote:
...this an aspect of Tiki Culture that could easily slip away without anyone noticing?

TW~

I agree, and I too love the rum barrel mugs. I do find them quite often on ebay. I am trying to find one, yes, just one, Aku Aku barrel mug. I do find them on ebay, but there are others that are willing to spend more than me on them, so I do get outbid.

I like the barrels for their heftiness and for the fact that they have the ability to hold a few more ounces than your average sized tiki mug.

I also find it quite humorous, in my own mind, of how it looks like someone is drinking rum straight-from-the-barrel when they drink from the barrel mugs.

The nostalgia of the old Trader Vic's artwork showing topless wahines and drunken males on a sandy beach with toppled over rum barrels also make this a 'must have' part of my tiki collection along side of my coconut mugs.

Just my 2 coconuts (and rum barrels) worth.

did anyone else cringe regarding the fate of the rum barrels in 'pirates of the carribean?' (movie, not ride)

On 2004-04-05 10:19, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
I like the barrels for their heftiness and for the fact that they have the ability to hold a few more ounces than your average sized tiki mug.

That's a very good point - there's certainly a place for them in a well-stocked Tiki bar. I've never come across any branded barrel mugs, but there seem to be quite a few 'generic' ones around, probably made in England. I'm not sure of the reason for the popularity here, or what era they were produced in, so perhaps I should investiage further on the Brit-Barrel phenomena.

Trader Woody

yes you guys are right, the mai kai still uses and sells their barrel mug for their rum barrel drink. i have been to the mai kai too many times to count, and in my opinion it is by far one of the best drinks on the menu.

Both Wade and Sylvac made Barrel mugs in the UK , so the unbranded ones can be worth a bit.

On 2004-04-05 16:00, atomictonytiki wrote:
Both Wade and Sylvac made Barrel mugs in the UK

That's worrying - mention those manufacturers, and you're in the territory of old women with poodles and pictures of sad clowns on the wall.........

Trader Woody

Here's an interesting barrel mug to say the least:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BARREL-MADE-OF-TEAK-FROM-THE-HMS-TERRIBLE-LADYSMITH_W0QQitemZ320003021874QQihZ011QQcategoryZ101150QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Its smaller size might make it more suitable for sipping rums.

Sabu

L

On 2004-04-03 21:58, TikiGardener wrote:
I love barrel mugs. But the ines I usually see scream "Velcomin to za BeeeeeeeeerHaus!"
TG

wellll, ya just haven't been hangin around many harbors or shipyards enuff, then.

[ Edited by: lanikai 2006-07-06 23:35 ]

I suppose if the barrel mug had Jack Daniels on it, there could be an argument that it doesn't belong behind a "tiki" bar.

I happen to like barrel mugs. Wish I had more than just a couple simple ones. I think they express something very important in the tiki culture... RUM! At least, that's what I feel when I see one!

Also, I feel they add a nautical touch and that's very much something I see in "tiki" decor as well. Floats, nets, ropes, fish traps, shells etc...

Yup, barrels work.

Barrels are awesome, but should never have handles. Just my opinion.

8T

I agree with the NO HANDLES opinion as a purest idea but as Mrs. 8FT told me: "Those of us who have small hands can't hold the barrel mugs and coconut mugs." I guess that's true enough so it's either use 2 hands or leave it on the table and use a really long straw!

I really bumped this thread to post pics of a Barrel mug we have and I don't see it discussed on TC anywhere or on Ooga Mooga or in Tiki Quest. We love it though because it is from the Kona Kai!!!!!!!! Just like ol' 8FT.
Here's a couple of shots.

M

8 ft, we have this same Kona Kai Mug. Cool huh?

T

Now that is a Barrel Mug that I have never seen before! Collecting for about nine years now so not really a rookie. This IS a perfect example of why Barrel Mugs deserve and belong behind Tiki bars!! Great piece 8FT Tiki!! Thanks for posting that one! TabooDan

Glorious perfection! as far as barrel mugs go. Yet another want...damn. Oh that reminds me when did i miss the don the beachcomber barrel mug repo, Tiki Farm?! I seen a copy on ooga-mooga, now i want one.

[ Edited by: Mike the Headhunter 2007-02-26 18:35 ]

I thought I’d resurrect this old thread since my state is in a mandatory lockdown and I can’t work. I’ve always been drawn to the barrel mugs. The generic ones are a dime a dozen but the good ones are a tough find indeed. Some of the mugs are huge, heavy and double walled in construction. If your lucky enough to find one of the double walled models you’ll be taken aback at the size and heft of these things. In my view the barrel mug is pure vintage tiki and belongs in any and every good bar. Here are some pics of some of the rarer barrel mugs in my collection. Thanks for taking a look. Everyone hang tight and be safe :D

A rather common vintage Mai Kai mug with original OMC tag.

A nice double walled mug from Steve Crane’s.

An unused Don’s mug with original foil tag.

A rare double walled mug from the Mauna Loa Detroit and another pic to show the size of these impressive mugs.

H
Hamo posted on Tue, Mar 24, 2020 8:50 PM

I was washing some mugs tonight and noticed that my Mai Kai barrel, which I got on a trip last October, has begun to chip on the "M" and last "I." :(

On 2020-03-24 06:18, uncle trav wrote:
I thought I’d resurrect this old thread since my state is in a mandatory lockdown and I can’t work. I’ve always been drawn to the barrel mugs. The generic ones are a dime a dozen but the good ones are a tough find indeed. Some of the mugs are huge, heavy and double walled in construction. If your lucky enough to find one of the double walled models you’ll be taken aback at the size and heft of these things. In my view the barrel mug is pure vintage tiki and belongs in any and every good bar. Here are some pics of some of the rarer barrel mugs in my collection. Thanks for taking a look. Everyone hang tight and be safe :D

A rather common vintage Mai Kai mug with original OMC tag.

A nice double walled mug from Steve Crane’s.

An unused Don’s mug with original foil tag.

A rare double walled mug from the Mauna Loa Detroit and another pic to show the size of these impressive mugs.

Tanks for rolling out your barrels Unca T-nice collection!
Keep safe

[ Edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2020-03-24 22:53 ]

My wife and I had custom barrel mugs made up for our wedding this past June! Thanks Munktiki! (And now we have an exorbitant amount of these barrels floating around which means we need a real tiki bar in our home)

272904484_10159513883727332_462327258768378478_n

[ Edited by PockyTiki on 2022-03-20 05:46:42 ]

T

Kind of a blobby looking barrel, but it's a fun one.276007007_5693446930669735_7721278162351126341_n

H

5866AC21-E2CA-4ED5-9056-CF706BE24AB571DCA98F-7415-4622-B4C1-4FBD6299E90D

A barrel mug I have that, I assume, is from the Blue Hawaii in Nashville. If anyone has any more info I'd appreciate it. (First time posting so I hope it uploads the photo) 20220324_003125

S

I’ve gotten the urge to own one, but the simple mugs aren’t that appealing to me. I really want one of the more detailed, lost at sea type mugs. The DtB barrel I love.

[ Edited by Staredge on 2022-03-30 13:31:45 ]

[ Edited by Staredge on 2022-03-30 13:31:50 ]

I bet you can find one you like here: https://mytiki.life/tiki-mugs?q=barrel&layout=card

Pages: 1 29 replies