Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Kurt Cobain.10 years gone...already?

Pages: 1 19 replies

D

That was a fast 10 years I tellya.

[ Edited by: donhonyc 2016-02-20 22:23 ]

I truly believe when Kurt died, so did rock @ roll. Turn on a radio and listen to the rock/rap crap that's on now. That's why while i'm working i'm either listening to cd's, indie rock or "classic" Rock.
Mainstream music blows floppy donkey.

-one man aspiring to be everyone’s favorite unkle.
http://www.unklejohn.com

[ Edited by: Unkle John on 2004-04-03 22:32 ]

MB

On 2004-04-03 22:30, Unkle John wrote:
I truly believe when Kurt died, so did rock @ roll.

Well, I dunno about that...maybe grunge rock, which Nirvana held the thrown. Gotta say, I dug Hole....I thought Courtney did "good" with that and I loved her in "The Larry Flint Story." They couldn't have casted it better....and I'm sure I'll hear who would have been "better." She was hissed at (that's a light version) at the Oscars that year....wonder how it would have turned out if Kurt was still alive and they just remained the out of control Hollywood couple....hmmm....ya, it doesn't seem like 10 years has past.

RIP the modern day Sid and Nancy.

I'm with Donhonyc & Uncle John,

We missed out on some incredible music when Kurt loaded his gun. The NME over here in the UK offered a free CD of 'Kurt's Choice' which had tracks by Mudhoney, Butthole Surfers, Iggy Pop, PJ Harvey, Bad Brains amongst others amongst others, and it just struck me how much it mirrored my tastes of the time. There seemed to be a few kids at every junior high who papered their walls with show flyers, made their own handmade Flipper t-shirt, and went to all the shows they could.

One of the weird things for me was never seeing them live, missing out by a whisker at each of many opportunites. They played a tiny club at my university town in the days where I'd go to pretty much every band who came by from the States - unfortunately, it wasn't during term-time! It went on from there until I managed to get tickets to 4 shows on their 'In-Utero' tour. Of course, I still have those tickets unused.

When the un-plugged album came out a few months after his death, I heard it in a record shop in London popular with fairly hardcore music fans. After a while, I noticed everyone was singing to it under their breath, which made me realise how much they touched a certain generation.

These days, I see those corny RIP Kurt t-shirts and the way he's become a poster boy for a certain breed of black eyeliner-wearing teenager and and it leaves me non-plussed. However, I won't forget the feeling when 'Smells like Teen Spirit' suddenly crashed into the chart, and for a while I felt that we'd won.

Trader Woody

Time flies, only seems like yesterday that I was going to see Nirvana and Mudhoney and the Butthole Surfers.
Slighty off track, but seeing Mudhoney and Soundgarden and others all in one gig at the SOAS in London, was one of the best gigs I've ever been to.

sigh...those were the days

Touch me, I'm (still) sick

Ten years. Parts of it went fast, parts feel like it was actually 20 years ago!

With the dead rocker thing, I try to ask myself what an artist may have evolved toward if he/she hadn't died.

For instance:

Janis:
Would have screamed herself hoarse(r), but I don't think she would have taken her art any place she hadn't already been. I think we heard all she had.

Elvis:
He'd have had two or five more rises and falls in poularity, but would he have broken new ground? I'd guess he'd be hawking CD's on QVC if still alive.

Jim Morrison:
Seems to have been in the midst of a semi-retirement when he died. I'd guess him to be like Jan Michael Vincent (toothless alcoholic) or Sly Stone had he survived.

On the other hand:

Jimi Hendrix would be the preeminent blues guitar player of the last three decades, with roots albums and a million guest appearances on other peoples' albums. I could even see him hooking up with Ginger baker and jack Bruce and taking Cream places they should have gone. Eric Clapton would have no schtick to fall back on if Jimi were playing. Clapton would have OD'd if Hendrix hadn't. Jimi wouldn't have done beer ads. Jimi would have worked with prince and kept Prince from going into "Michael Jackson Land".

Stevie Ray Vaughn would have done a killer "summit" album with Jimi and Jimmy and we'd have some killer riff-filled live sets from Austin.

Buddy Holly would rule Nashville and have stepped in to take over Little feat when Lowell George died.

Nobody would be buying John Lennon discs. He'd be working with Diamanda Galas and John Paul Jones and be happy making music he found interesting without concern for sales or adoration.

ETC....

So, with Curt...Where do you think he might have headed in terms of sound? Could he have transcended grunge and created new sounds or would he have been stuck trying to find ways of alternating acoustic guitar grunge with electric guitar grunge? Would he have just done a disappearing junkie act?

I also kinda think that he would have been swallowed up as an "Emo" act and been lost anyway.

No disagreement intended about his contribution, I'd like to see if anyone else tries to imagine what he would have headed toward.

On 2004-04-05 05:46, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
Time flies, only seems like yesterday that I was going to see Nirvana and Mudhoney and the Butthole Surfers.

I was even getting misty-eyed at the thought of Tad the other day! Long gone are the days where half the show would be spent in mid-air!

Trader Woody

So, with Curt...Where do you think he might have headed in terms of sound? Could he have transcended grunge and created new sounds or would he have been stuck trying to find ways of alternating acoustic guitar grunge with electric guitar grunge? Would he have just done a disappearing junkie act?

I also kinda think that he would have been swallowed up as an "Emo" act and been lost anyway.

That is so possible. Kurt had certainly reached his peak musically. I think his whole life had been leading up to his early exit. At least he went out on a high!

Better to burn fast and bright, than end up the Rolling Stones.

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-04-06 03:26 ]

Nirvana was the hottest band around in the early '90's and Kurt Cobain was at the top of the heap as a singer/songwriter/guitar player. When I bought my first CD player, Nevermind was the first CD I played on it (kind of a milestone for an OG who's gone from 45 rpm singles to lp's to 8-track to cassette and then...). Kurt must have been a desperately troubled man to hole up in a lonely room, write a lengthy suicide note and eventually blow his head off with a shotgun. This isn't a "spur of the moment" thing. It was very deliberate and staged. I hope he's in a better place now.

"Hey Kurt?? Give Sid a Hi-5 for me!!"

T

On 2004-04-06 21:53, RevBambooBen wrote:

...and Joe Strummer...

MB
Mrs. B posted on Wed, Apr 7, 2004 9:57 PM

Better to burn fast and bright, than end up the Rolling Stones.

Not necessarily.

I always found Nirvana to be generic and irritating, and do not believe that anyone would remember them now if that guy had not offed himself.

But then, I pretty much hate guitar music anyway. I can handle some surf music on occasion. I was listening to a strict diet of Coil and Laibach back then.

[ Edited by: KahunaMilu on 2004-04-08 17:14 ]

On 2004-04-07 17:07, Tikiholic wrote:

On 2004-04-06 21:53, RevBambooBen wrote:

...and Joe Strummer...

Was Joe Strummer a Junky Too?? I thought he was all polished and good.

D

No offense, but I don't think Sid Vicious and Cobain would be High-five-ing. I don't think people 'high-fived' back in the 70s when Sid was still around. And didn't the whole high-five thing come from the jock or WWF circles in the 80s?

On 2004-04-08 22:56, donhonyc wrote:
No offense, but I don't think Sid Vicious and Cobain would be High-five-ing. I don't think people 'high-fived' back in the 70s when Sid was still around. And didn't the whole high-five thing come from the jock or WWF circles in the 80s?

Maybe they could shoot up together?

T

On 2004-04-05 10:53, Geeky Tiki wrote:

He would be performing in a Knacks cover band.

Seriously - Negative Creep, Opinion, Even In His Youth, Moustache, Downer, Dive, Return Of The Rat cover, - they all kill me. And Hairspray Queen is totally obnoxious - but I love it.

T
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.