Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Easy to make signage

Pages: 1 4 replies

I did a search and I didn't find anything on the topic so I thought that I'd give it a go.

I was at a drug store and there was a sale on 2 foot long 1/4 inch bamboo garden stakes for 6 cents each and I knew there was something I could do with them so I stocked up. I picked up an eight foot piece of 1" by 6" distressed cedar for $0.59. I cut a two foot piece of the plank and cut the edges like it was shattered (inspired by the pictures in The Book of Tiki).

The board was then spray painted gray and I cut bits of bamboo to make the letters and hot glued them on. I haven't decided on how to mount this yet but I'll probably drill a couple of holes in it and run a braided burlap string on the top.

I'm happy with the results; please let me know what you think.

[ Edited by: sporkboyofjustice on 2004-04-07 13:33 ]

Not bad, sporky! and welcome to TC!
This is certainly a sign project that can fit any budget! Be sure to post some more pictures once you have it hanging too. It may look good hanging with nautical rope/line too...but that's just my 2 dubloons worth. :)

speaking of posting pix...you can go here and it will walk you through all the steps you need to take to post pix in your thread. Good luck! and HAVE FUN!

Hey thanks Polynesiac. It does look much better on a wall (I had my housemate hold it up). It definately is a doable project for most people. I am planning on making several signs with different things on them for a party coming up.

Hello and Welcome!
Very cool, the jagged look kind of reminds me of The Flintstones. I like your idea of painting the cedar, since it naturally turns grey when left outside to weather.

Below is the requested photo of the sign hung on the wall with a bit of braided burlap.

Pages: 1 4 replies