Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Thatch drop ceiling in the Hapa Haole Hideaway

Pages: 1 11 replies

S
Swanky posted on Wed, Apr 7, 2004 5:22 PM

This has been a plan for a while and I went through a few ideas. I can't do it a certain way because I am renting. I finally came up with an easy, undestructive plan. With the gracious help of Brad the Beachcomber, who donated the thatch, I have nearly finished.

Here is the panel laid out in the living room. I used jute twine to tie it to 1/4 split 3 inch bamboo all around. Mainly top and bottom. A canter piece will be added too.

Here I have hung the first panel. I drilled into the stucco and ceiling, then ran 18 gauge anodized wire up through the hole. I then had to get in the attic and find the wire sticking up under the insulation. I put a screw in a stud and wrapped the wire around the screw. I then ran the wire through the 4 corners of the panel.

I added the extra cross pieces because the thatch sagged a lot. The are not tied in, just placed.

Here you see a second panel. I used the same wires from the first 2 panels to hang the second and third panels. So there are 4 wires in the center, each supporting the corner of 2 panels.

Another corner

Now I used the bottom wires and put a corner cross member.

This piece is also hung by the center wire that supports the 2 panels.

Here is a finished corner. I used scrap pieces, so it'a little rough. Just dropped the fish from his previous hook.

Here is a second finished corner with the float dropped through.

Here are the 2 finished corners.

I am out of scrap for the last 2 corners, but will try to make something work.

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky 2006-03-07 16:44 ]

K

Nice idea and job - thanks - gives me a couple ideas myself for the upcoming bar.

UB

Looks killer Swank!
Nice job.

Very cool Swanky......is that burlap on the ceiling?

S

Yeah, I covered the ceiling in burlap first. I failed to mention that. I did that a few weeks ago. That way, anything you see up there is not white. And it hides the center of the ceiling.

K
Kanaka posted on Thu, Apr 8, 2004 8:41 AM

Looking SWANK Swanky! What time is happy hour?

Kanaka

That ceiling looks great! Very ingenious way of doing it too - and the end result is awesome! too cool, too cool.

S

This stuff is very light and so the wires hold it fine. And when I move out, I have 12 small holes to deal with, and they may not even show.

COOOL! Nice job! It must be so much fun working on a project like that! Totally rewarding.
Why do I have a sudden urge to create some New Guinea masks?

WOW! I can't believe you did that in a rental, it looks totally kik ass! gives me some great ideas on covering yucky white popcorn ceilings.

Nice job, my brah...I've been away too long!

S

That's your good ol' Jawja green bamboo up there.

Pages: 1 11 replies