Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The Tiki Leilani Mug

Pages: 1 2 68 replies

T

Hello everyone, I have 2 one-sided mugs with Orchids of Hawaii- Japan on the bottom. No letters on the front bottom. These came from a restaurant called the Luau Room. It was closed many years ago. The colors are dark and light brown.

M

JonPez,

Wow this is interesting. Thanks for the pics.

I'm not sure if this mug is worth more or less than the original.

If Sven or Duke had it in their books, it would be worth a mint, but I'm afraid it falls into the category of "Homemade" tiki. Yes?

J
JonPez posted on Tue, Nov 1, 2005 8:47 PM

MauiTiki...
I thought the homemade ones were ones that people painted themselves. These were somewhat commercially available, being sold at the show. Not the most professional job, but still cool...

M

I consider "homemade" where a mold was made from an existing mug and made at home or at ceramics class.

I guess this falls into the middle somewhere.

Now Big Lot has it's own Tiki Leilani knock off in cheap plastic at 10% off. This one is also two sided but both sides are smiling.

T

In a couple years, this is what will pass as a Tiki Mug at your local Big Rots:

M

Just saw these turn up on eBay...

'TAHITI' ON THE FRONT, 'TUCSON, AZ' ON THE BACK

I don't know anything about them, but they sold for $50 (with three other mugs from the same restaurant).

I could just collect different Leilani Mugs, I can't believe how many variations turn up.

T

On 2006-08-14 21:38, MauiTiki wrote:

I don't know anything about them, but they sold for $50 (with three other mugs from the same restaurant).

I could just collect different Leilani Mugs, I can't believe how many variations turn up.

I have a few of those my sister brought back from her trip to Tucson from a vintage/junk/antique store. They're different colors too.

On 2006-08-14 21:38, MauiTiki wrote:

Actually the other three mugs were not from the Tahiti, rather they were old mugs from the still open Kon Tiki. Funny thing is that those six mugs were sold from Tucson, and weren't listed that well. I went into one of my regular thrift stores two days ago, and this time happened to mention that I collect tiki mugs. The lady behind the counter stated that they had had a set of six of them a couple weeks ago. My guess is that it was these same six mugs. Oh well... I have two of the Tahiti mugs, but only one of the Kon Tiki ones, in a totally different color.

Chris

Looks to me like somebody new is making these iconic mugs. I was given this unmarked Leilani by my friend 8ft Tiki, who pointed out the differences between this mug and other Leilanis. This one has a more peanuty appearance and its features are much sharper. The mouth is larger, too. There's no doubt what it is, but it's obviously a different sculpt.

Here's a generic OoH R-91 (left) for comparison.

OPPS,SORRY
wrong place

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2010-10-17 12:16 ]

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2010-10-17 12:20 ]

Don't know anything about "Bades," but your Leilani sure looks better than mine! :)

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ Edited by: SilverLine 2010-10-17 10:03 ]

S

On 2010-10-13 06:05, SilverLine wrote:
Looks to me like somebody new is making these iconic mugs. I was given this unmarked Leilani by my friend 8ft Tiki, who pointed out the differences between this mug and other Leilanis. This one has a more peanuty appearance and its features are much sharper. The mouth is larger, too. There's no doubt what it is, but it's obviously a different sculpt.

Here's a generic OoH R-91 (left) for comparison.

That's the McCoy Pottery version. Should be double sided too. (Face on front and back?)

8T

I'll be darned. We didn't even suspect we had the "Real McCoy". Sorry, another bad pun from 8FT. As you suggest Swanky, it is double sided but they look very minty and are not marked in any way. Thanks for the identification.

S

On 2010-10-20 15:42, 8FT Tiki wrote:
I'll be darned. We didn't even suspect we had the "Real McCoy". Sorry, another bad pun from 8FT. As you suggest Swanky, it is double sided but they look very minty and are not marked in any way. Thanks for the identification.

Extra heavy too right?

On 2010-10-21 09:37, Swanky wrote:
Extra heavy too right?

Actually, no. It's really light and fairly thin. I have a double-sided USA marked Leilani that's really heavy, but this one is different. The casting is VERY sharp and fresh.

8T

A lot of the photos in this thread have disappeared. I will try to put some pics of mine here soon. For now here is the rarer? Braniff one. I passed on it until it went half price.

Congrats 8-ft! I was stalking that one too! Were you at the "mall" today??

Prices for the good ol' Leilani seem stuck at $10 each or more here locally, even though there also seems to be NO shortage of them.

8T

Silverline, I was there Yesterday. Couldn't pass it up at that price. Here are the other Leilani items I have.

Mug row

The main differences are weight, height, one-sided or 2 sided and also how wide the mouth is open.

These 3 are one-sided and are marked Orchids of Hawaii R-91 or R 91-H Japan. The mouths are slightly opened.

These 3 are 2-sided and are a bit shorter but much heavier or thicker walled. Mouth is slightly more opened.

These are the "wide open" mouths. They are 2-sided and are unmarked.

The rest of the items are: S&P set, tall 2-sided mug and table lantern with handle. Unmarked but possibly made by Quon Quon Japan.

M

I have this Green one with no bottom markings...He's pretty cool.

Mahalo

McTiki

T

Picked this guy up quite a while ago on eBay. Maybe an artist proof for the USA-made or Braniff mugs?

I'm guessing the M BLUE is midnight blue, and denotes the glaze color test. The detail on it seems too defined to be a copy. It's double-sided similar to the ones above.

Immortalize your name for eternity by contributing to The Tikipedia!

T-shirts based on vintage tiki matchbooks: TikiTees

[ Edited by: TikiTacky 2014-04-02 19:15 ]

Pages: 1 2 68 replies