Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Are you an Eagle Scout ?

Pages: 1 46 replies

8T

Hello all. I attended a large gathering in my local BSA council this weekend. (I am still a registered scout leader) It got me thinking about how many other TC'ers earned the Eagle rank in scouting. I joined scouting in 1972 and received my Eagle Scout award in April, 1977. I also earned bronze, gold & silver palm awards. My older brother is also an Eagle. This thread is for a roll call of Eagle recipients. It can be for yourself or your son. Also if you have a picture of yourself in uniform as you received your award, that is welcome in this thread also. PLEASE,PLEASE, anyone who is thinking of making some rude or suggestive reply concerning child abuse or molestation in the boy scouts....DON'T reply to this post. The BSA is working hard to educate leaders in Youth Protection training. Speaking for my Unit and District, we take the subject very seriously. Thanks. I am looking forward to seeing a list of fellow Eagle recipients here.

Does it count if you were working on your final Eagle project (everything else was completed) and then the entire troop disbanded leaving me S.O.L. ?

-Z

i made it to life scout. i really regret not following through on that one.

Are there any women here who earned the Girl Scout equivalent of Eagle Scout (I think it's called the Gold Award)?

I never made it past cub scouts. Football became too much of a distraction.

D

cynnful..
i quit camp fire girls the first day. they were only doing crafts. i was expecting FIRE. no such luck.

My big brother is an Eagle Scout so I had to marry one too. Jay got his back in the 80's. He is a cub scout leader here in Chicago because in his own words: "Pinewood Derbies Rock!" Although, I suspect he longs for the day when he can go camping with the boyscouts again and play with fire.

I am an Eagle Scout. Class of 1987.

Scouting was some of the best memories of my youth. I know what you are all thinking but it wasnt like that at all.

Incredible adventure, ruthless hazing, and lawlesness every time the adults left us alone.

Sort of a lord of the flies type thing.

Oh and I learned a few things too.

Monkeyman

My brother received his Eagle in 1983.

My 2nd nephew received his Eagle in 2002.

A

I am an Eagle Scout. Class of 1987.

Me too! Precisely the same.

I'll never forget the pipe tobacco smell from our scoutmaster Mr. Snow, and when he died a few years ago it was about as sad as I've ever been.

-Randy

Eagle Scout here with three silver palms (1983). Still partially involved with the Denver chapter of the National Eagle Scout Organization. I go to about one function a year, usually a career fair and promote the engineering industry to younger kids.

J

Eagle Scout? Hah! I don't think I ever made it to Wolf in Cub Scouts - I must have gotten hooked up with the wrong troop or something...we never did anything fun like camping or playing with knives and I used to cry everytime I had to put on the uniform and go to another meeting! I do admire those who graduated to Boy Scouts and worked to achieve the rank of Eagle Scout...in fact I'd have to say I'm amazed with the sorry experience I had with scouting!

Yeah, fellow Eagle here, class of 1991.

I really enjoyed the scouts and made a few very good friends. Scouting was particularly uncool in my home town, so it was sort of a secret society for us. I didn't particularly care for the military aspect of scouting and the other scouts (and scout masters) felt the same. I know the scouts reputation has gone down hill as of late, but what kept me in was the fact that every troop was different. Had I been in another more regimented and less openminded troop, I probably would have quit. We were the troop every year at camp that would look the most disheveled, but win the most awards. Too much fun.
The best part about scouting were all the camping trips and hiking trips we took. I think I hiked the entire Long Trail in Vermont and camped at most places from Maine to Rhode Island during my scouting years. Good times, good memories.

BTW - did anyone actually earn the "Rabbit Raising" merit badge?

-edit-
sorry, I forgot to mention that my brother also received his in the class of 1987 too.
weird, no?

"Hey, at least I'm housebroken."

[ Edited by: Polynesiac on 2004-04-20 08:30 ]

I was an Indian Guide and got looked down by boy scouts with their fancy earth tone uniforms and as for rankings I don't think I'll even make it past Tiki Centralite do they give merit badges for carving?

[ Edited by: naugatiki on 2004-04-20 09:03 ]

I don't remember what rank I finally made, but my Mom was our Den Mother in Cub scouts (meaning I aways got in trouble).

I knew I'd never make Eagle scout as I didn't sell illicit drugs. I do still have my uniform somewhere though. It has a collar unlike those collarless ones nancy-scouts wore.

I joined Cub Scouts in around 1966.

Made it to the first Jamboree and they found out I "didn't have a father", in their words.

End of Scouting. Thank God the delinquents took me in.

No single female parent homes were permitted in my town back then.

Sold my uniform to Linda Rondstadt.

I'm very pro-Scouting, though. If my boys wanna do it, I'm all in favor.

8T

I knew I'd never make Eagle scout as I didn't sell illicit drugs.

What does that mean???

Unfortunately for both myself and the scouting movement, I was levered into the scouts by my parents at the same time punk rock hit my teenage brain.

I refused to progress past 'Scout', not even getting my tenderfoot badge and snapped the wings of my plastic eagle toggle and burnt its head. Punk rock!

Surprisingly, I actually had a good time for the few years I was in the scouts. We played a lot of indoor hockey, went up a lot of mountains and I learnt a few things despite myself.

Trader Woody

On 2004-04-20 10:50, 8FT Tiki wrote:

I knew I'd never make Eagle scout as I didn't sell illicit drugs.

What does that mean???

I enjoyed scouting as I love the outdoors, camping etc. I grew up in a small semi-rural town. At my first Jamboree in the early 70's I was shocked by all the drugs the high ranking scouts seemed to be taking and purveying. I'm sure none of the Scout Masters new it was going on.

As a young kid it seemed to me all the "bad boys" I knew were in the Scouts. "On my Honor...!"

Read Lawgiver 29:6

[ Edited by: Atomic Cocktail on 2004-04-20 12:36 ]

I was in the Cub Scouts but quit after discovering they frowned on my smoking.

TB

I was in cub scouts to untill i stopped going & kept all the dues monies that my mom gave me.

Thanks Bong, I was waiting for you...

H

My mom was a Cub Scouts Den Mother for about a week and a half. All I remember is the house being full of crazy-ass little boys carving bars of Ivory soap.

T

Did you guys know that (film director) David Lynch's resume says simply "Eagle Scout, Missoula, Montana", and nothing else!

Love that.

Me?

After being a cub and a We-blow, I dropped out of Boy Scouts circa 1982 to persue life as a punk rocker.

Was I trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteuos, kind, obident, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent enough?

Ummm...

yes, yes, no, sometimes, no, sorta, never, no, yes, hmmmm, yes, no.

Not scout material.

No single female parent homes were permitted in my town back then.

Sold my uniform to Linda Rondstadt.

"...You're no good, You're no good, You're no good, baby you're no good"

On 2004-04-20 14:00, tikibars wrote:
Was I trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteuos, kind, obident, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent enough?

Don't forget heterosexual! :D

Trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteuos, kind, obident, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.

I actually included that in my marriage vows...honest!

I wanted to see if anybody would pick up on it.

On 2004-04-20 13:39, Atomic Cocktail wrote:
Thanks Bong, I was waiting for you...

And I you AC, and I you...

Joined Cub Scouts1968
All we did was sit ups and push ups and eat cake and drink punch.
I hated my Den Mother so much that the day before moving up to WE-Blows, I started her dress on fire while she was in it. The Baxterds kicked me out.
Go figure??
I stopped it from happening to my son by becoming the best Cub Scout Den Leader, then Assistant Cub Master and Quarter Master, Knot tie-er the BSA has ever seen.
Then my son just lost interest and dropped out.
Man, did I look good in a uniform.

On 2004-04-20 18:39, thebaxdog wrote:

Tiki Bong told me a while back on one of the OC bus ride crawls that he dreamed of Bax in a uniform. Joking or not, I bailed to the back of the bus for the rest of the crawl. Baxdog, watch your back!

Eagle scout don't surf
The beach was where the action was to be had!
Although, I did take first place one year in the pinewood derby.
Soapbox derbys were thrillin' too, no lawyers chasin behind ya back then.

High sign,
Den monkey Chongolio

On 2004-04-20 23:58, Chongolio wrote:
High sign,
Den monkey Chongolio

On 2004-04-20 22:16, RevBambooBen wrote:

On 2004-04-20 18:39, thebaxdog wrote:

Tiki Bong told me a while back on one of the OC bus ride crawls that he dreamed of Bax in a uniform. Joking or not, I bailed to the back of the bus for the rest of the crawl. Baxdog, watch your back!

Well, yeah maybe I did mention something to the effect of fantasizing about my big, burly Greek God in a uniform that night of drunken lust.

At least now that I have my inflatable Baxdog love monkey I don't have to dream about it - I just do it!

Hawaiian Life Scout here. Had a good time camping, snorkeling, surfing at Bellows Beach, Pupukea, Hanauma Bay, etc. Hiked Wiamea Canyon, Diamond Head, Olomana, and Helakala. Had to learn to pound poi and roast pig luau style for the Aloha Council Hawaiiana Award. Almost got eaten by a shark swimming to Chinaman's Hat. Learned to drink, smoke and shoot guns with Vietnam vets turned summer camp counselors. Can't figure out why we didn't do any tiki carving. Seems like they would have had a merit badge for that. I was close to Eagle when my firends and I all dropped out. Wish I had finished the program.

barely made it through cub scouts and dropped out of weblows. hated having to meet in a church basement. never liked the smell.
hated those blue cub scout shirts without a proper collar and having to wear it to school with the scarf. but the merrit pins you could buy at the local department store were cool. i still have one as a tie pin.
but now i recently found a vintage boy scout shirt i will wear proudly. because i'm prepared....

Man are you wrong on the beach reference.

We camped at San Onofre twice per year and literally could throw a rock from the tent to the water. The whole point of the trip was to surf. 3 days straight.

We stayed on Catalina Island each summer and spearfished for food. Cliff Jumping from 60 feet into the ocean. 20 person canoes to paddle around the island. Mt Whitney, Yosemite, Snowboarding Trips to Mammoth Mountain. Rockclimbing trips to Joshua Tree. I was on a backpacking trip in the Grand Canyon to the Havasu Indian reservation and passed Peter Tosh (of reggae fame) while walking into the village. Apparently he had just done a benefit concert for the indians a few days before.

Unless you are lucky enough to have parents who choose to take adventurous trips, scouting allows the "average kid" with "average parents" to experience some extraordinary things.

The whole point of the scouting organization is to have a high level of participation from all types of parents. When the only volunteers are kooky introverts with a distorted sense of power then you get a super lame organization that bores kids to death. Hence the "cool" kids leave.

The parents who surf, and do adventurous things need to participate and steer the group in a direction that they would like to see.

My boy scout years Kicked Ass.

On 2004-04-21 18:31, Monkeyman wrote:
Man are you wrong on the beach reference.

Sorry, I am speaking from my own experience with the troop I was in. They were all about jamborees and Pancake breakfasts in the Sears parking lot.
The older kids, the Eagle scouts, were mostly jocks who thought the surfers were dirtbags. I think I went on one camp out during the four years I was in the boys scouts. It was fun when I was a kid, but became more boring than going to church by the time I was 14.

Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-04-21 23:15 ]

On 2004-04-21 18:31, Monkeyman wrote:
We camped at San Onofre twice per year and literally could throw a rock from the tent to the water.

I've been camping at San Onofre and San Clemente all my childhood years. Great times.
I wasn't a scout, but we chased after the girl scouts for merit badges. :)

I made Eagle Scout in 1979. My dad was Scoutmaster, and I probably wouldn't have made it if he hadn't, ahem, encouraged me. Damn glad he did now. Our troop did make a crude attempt at carving a big totem pole out of a dead tree at a campsite one summer. It may have been the genesis of my tiki interest, who knows!?

I thought Scouts were supposed to be good people and have good ethics. Check this out.

Subj: i want to buy a hut

Daytime phone: 310 647 3929

Brian Lloyd

310-378-6214

Tiger Scouts Pack 718

Den 1

Forwarded Message:
Subj: RE: Aloha!
Date: 4/26/2004 9:02:35 PM Pacific Standard Time
To: [email protected]
Sent from the Internet (Details)

Aloha,

I did stop by from 10ish to 11ish. Ben did not stop byish. So, I hung loose and took some picture(ishes). The designs were fairly juvenile. But, we got some ideas. I figure that we could make some improvements, have some day workers knock them out on a Saturday, sell them for $300 and make a decent profit. Thanks and aloha!

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, April 20, 2004 3:58 PM

Subject: Aloha!

Aloha Brian,

If you are in the vicinity of Huntington Beach, the best thing to do is to stop by our store which is open the the public on Saturday 10:00-5:00'ish and Sunday 11:00-4:00'ish. Weekday appointments are available in the workshop, however, it would be a good idea to check out Ben's style and we can go from there.

Mahalo,

Mrs. Bamboo

Bamboo Ben Custom Tropical Decor

712 Yorktown Ave

Huntington Beach, Ca. 92648

714 960-1860 (message and updated info

I get this all the time. People wanting to rip me off. This one struck a nerve. A Tiger Club Den Leader?? And, to be stupid enough to leave his phone # and information on the e-mail and to say he's gonna knock me off!

Any thoughts on this one out there in Tiki Central Land??

[i]On 2004-04-27 09:56, RevBambooBen wrote:
Any thoughts on this one out there in Tiki Central Land??

Ignore it as it will just eat you up.

What the fu$&'s up with that alleged 'tiki shop' opening up diagonally across from you Ben?

Jeez, can we get any closer to try to draw on your span of business cause we can't draw our own?

No worries bruddah Ben, I'm sure it will be belly up by Fall...

On 2004-04-27 10:38, Tiki_Bong wrote:
What the fu$&'s up with that alleged 'tiki shop' opening up diagonally across from you Ben?

It's that shop that Bwanatiki was talking about. The "lawn service tiki shop". I got to say that Bwanatiki and his bud Jason are Not on My Happy List. I do NOT want to meet either of them. (you reading this bwana? tell this to Jason.)

Jeez, can we get any closer to try to draw on your span of business cause we can't draw our own?

Bingo! And, if in any way, shape or form they copy, steal or borrow (aka "you inspired me"), ANY of my designs (which are all one of a kind, signed, pictured and dated) they will be spending their life in court.

I've had it with this "inspired crap" (without asking ). We'll just say, I have done work for several attorneys who have become good friends. "This is Not a threat." Just a Heads Up on those who I inspire!!! And, or, those who are "profitting" off my "inspiration" whithout my permission.

No worries bruddah Ben, I'm sure it will be belly up by Fall...

This will be up to "how fly by night they really are"(?). I've been doing "Custom Tropical Decor and Tiki Bars" for 15 years. The Bamboo Ben Store is going on 5 years. We'll see who survives when the "fad" is over.

Resurrecting an old thread...

I'm an Eagle Scout since 1989. Three palms afterwards. Worked as a staff member for seven summers at our local scout camp. Inducted into the Order Of The Arrow and was a Vigil Honor Member and Lodge Chief of our small lodge. Went to the National Jamboree in 1989 at Fort AP Hill, Virginia. Went to Philmont Scout Ranch in New Mexico and hiked over 100 miles there. Went to two National Order Of The Arrow Conferences. Did all kinds of stuff, basically.

Collecting scout memorabilia was one of my first big passions, long before tiki mugs. I have a huge collection of stuff back at my parents' house in the Midwest.

Then, nothing for nearly twenty years...

Now, I'm back in it. My son is in cub scouts and I was just drafted to be our pack's Assistant Cub Master.

We'd planned to go camping this weekend, in fact, up north of Santa Barbara, but I just got word it was canceled due to wildfires.

So, I quit packing and now I'm just aimlessly plunking around on the computer and found this thread.

Patches have changed in the intervening years. Now they have new patrol medallions, including this Tiki one below, that I thought some of you would appreciate.

T

Those are cool! Love the puffer fish.

T

Pages: 1 46 replies