Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

A Boy and His Tiki...A True Story!

Pages: 1 8 replies

J

It all started when my parents returned from their trip to the South Pacific with an 18 inch tall Tangaroa for my tiki bar. Upon their return we went to visit and collect our loot and I was nonetheless pleased beyond words because the Tangaroa has always been my favorite tiki and the one they bought for me was perfect! When we got back in the car that evening we put my son in the car seat and for safety’s sake placed the tiki in the back seat next to him, with his seatbelt buckled of course! Ian spent the entire 15 minute trip home pointing to the tiki and smiling repeating his favorite word of the moment – “That?” Mom and I continued telling him “Yes, tiki.” As you could imagine Dad was pleased!

Well anyway, for a few days the Tangaroa occupied a place on the kitchen counter and my son’s interest in him didn’t seem to wane. He would crawl over to the counter, point and smile and we kept reinforcing his interest by telling him, “tiki.” I would place the tiki on the floor and my son would crawl up to him, sit directly in front and smile. He eventually got up the nerve and would hug the wooden idol and poke him in the eyes – signs of true affection! Well when the Tangaroa was finally brought downstairs to the Grotto Ian would sit in front of the basement door and point oftentimes getting upset and crying because his new friend was taken away and couldn’t be seen anymore. I told him that I would find him his own tiki – he of course probably didn’t understand a word I was saying.

The next morning I went on Ebay and was absolutely floored when one of the first items I found was a 5-inch tall, carved Tangaroa from a seller in Canada with a Buy It Now price of $10.00! I bought it without hesitation and 2 weeks later and was totally psyched when I got it in the mail! I showed it to Ian and his eyes lit up – he recognized it as his buddy who was now spending his days in Dad’s tiki bar but only in a more child friendly size. I let him hold the tiki for a while and we went to his room together and put him on the shelf overtop his dresser – clearly visible from his crib. Now every time he goes into his room he points and smiles at the mini-Tangaroa and smiles, many times he won’t go to sleep unless he gets to hold the guy for a few minutes or he’ll place him beside him as he sits on the floor as he tries to turn the pages in his books. He even began saying “Didi” which I’m assuming is his attempt to say tiki. It’s also functioned well as an educational tool to identify body parts – Ian can clearly point and identify his eyes, ears and mouth when asked. But Sunday night was the kicker – around midnight Ian awoke screaming his head off and crying, we guess he had a nightmare, and he was totally inconsolable. Nothing would comfort him, not his stuffed Snoopy or stuffed cow, nor would being held or his sippy cup… he insisted on pointing to his Tangaroa. I took the tiki off the shelf, my wife thinking I was insane that a piece of wood would comfort a terrified baby, and handed it to him. He immediately regained his composure and eventually was able to crack a smile. We were both amazed! Now, he insists on carrying the Tangaroa with him and it’s now replaced the Mega-blocks as his favorite toy. You’ve heard about the special relationship that develops between a boy and his dog? I’ve witnessed the special relationship that develops between a boy and his tiki!

WOW! Tiki for life!

That gets my vote for Feel Good Story of the Week!

-Z

Cool Story! If/when I have kids I hope they love tiki too!

-Slacks

DZ

On 2004-04-20 07:52, johntiki wrote:
It’s also functioned well as an educational tool to identify body parts...

Tangoaroa is often (usually?) depicted as being, well, anatomically correct, let's say. How does this guy measure up? :wink:

J

The little Tangaroa measures up pretty well but nothing like the big guy in the bar - he's almost sporting a third leg! A bit of a side note - when I got the little Tangaroa I had to perform a bit of a circumcision with the Dremel tool, he had a jagged edge on the end of his penis and I didn't think it would be too child friendly. So far though my son hasn't made the connection between the tiki's anatomy to his own...:)

B

Very nice story, Johntiki. Amazing how little things can make us so emotional.
Another Tikiphile has arrived

That story has zazz for days. Kids can be such the little trippers. Me thinks this is another post to be nominated for the best of Tiki Central. Thanx for sharing JohnTiki.

Chongolio

hold off a little while on putting a mai tai in his sippee cup :)

Pages: 1 8 replies