Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Please don't hate me because I scored the holy grail...

Pages: 1 26 replies

I was rummaging through the thrift store about 45 minutes ago, and I made my way to the bargain album bin, and there it was:

"Telly", the 1974 musical offering from Telly Savalas with Telly doing such hits as "Rubber Bands and Bits of Paper","You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling","Something", and "Help Me Make It Through the Night."

I have no picture to share, but I feel that it's better left to the imagination. Let this be a testament to the fact that one must never give up, and that with perseverance, anything is possible. :wink:

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2004-04-23 13:06 ]

J

You bastard! I've been looking for that album for years - next thing you know you're gonna tell me you found the William Shatner album that includes his stunning rendition of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds!" :wink:

i'll have to console myself with the album on which sammy davis jr. sings "shaft."

M

Who loves ya baby?

Here it is on 8 track, his verion of How Insensitive is actually good make out fodder and how could you say no to anyone who wears their jacket like a cape?

Here it is on 8 track, his verion of How Insensitive is actually good make out fodder and how could you say no to anyone who wears their jacket like a cape?

You just simply can't say no.

J

:lol:

Sorry Sam, I've already got it.

It shares a special place in my record collection - right next to my Barbie Benton, Lorne Green, Cheryl Ladd, and Rodney Allen Rippy albums.

Didn't know "Telly" was a Holy Grail. I have this album & also his followup "Who Loves Ya Baby" -- it has Gentle On My Mind, The Men In My Little Girl's Life and the title tune on it. Vocally, I think Telly and Leonard Cohen were separated at birth.

T

Dammit! All this time, I thought I had it.

:)

That's killer Carroll O'Connor, too.
Sabu, I have the Lorne Greene album too. There's nothing like spinning "Ringo" after a tough day at the office. Now, I have to find the Ed McMahon album with the touching (but somewhat scary) song about "Little Girls". (I'm not sure of the exact name, but it's a classic too.) :wink:

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino on 2004-04-23 23:46 ]

On 2004-04-23 23:42, Sam Gambino wrote:
That's killer Carroll O'Connor, too.
Sabu, I have the Lorne Greene album too. There's nothing like spinning "Ringo" after a tough day at the office. Now, I have to find the Ed McMahon album with the touching (but somewhat scary) song about "Little Girls". (I'm not sure of the exact name, but it's a classic too.) :wink:

The albums title is "And me, I'm Ed Mcmahon..."

I've got it, and it is scaaaaaaarey.

Try finding Switched on Nashville, a country album done with Moog Synthesizer.

Or this wierd "Planet of the Apes a musical trip" record I found the other day. It has spoken word sections in between the songs, and all the voices were done by one guy. And it sounds like it! He does a lousy Cornelious. I'll get photos as soon as I can borrow the work camera.
TG

S

Longing for a tootsie pop.............

Thanks for the title of that Ed Mahon offering, TG. I'd love to get a load of that Planet of the Apes cover too when you get it.

On 2004-04-24 23:02, Sam Gambino wrote:
Thanks for the title of that Ed Mahon offering, TG. I'd love to get a load of that Planet of the Apes cover too when you get it.

Where you located at Sam??? At some point I'm going to burn my vinyl to cd, when I do, I'l see about getting you copies of those two records.
TG

That would be great, TG. Let me know the cost when you do it. Also, I sent a pm...

I'm sooo envious! Enjoy!

My grail for singing celebrities is this obscure cassette with The Ex First Lady of The Philippians and shoe fancier Imelda Marcos crooning an even worse version of Feelings than the original. If only she’d get back in the studio and do backgrounds for William Hung music would be fun again

[ Edited by: naugatiki on 2004-04-25 23:10 ]

On 2004-04-25 12:32, naugatiki wrote:
My grail for singing celebrities is this obscure cassette with The Ex First Lady of The Philippians and shoe fancier Imelda Marcos crooning and even worse version of Feelings than the original.

Naugatiki. That one sounds like one heck of a dilly :)

On 2004-04-23 17:18, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Sorry Sam, I've already got it.

It shares a special place in my record collection - right next to my Barbie Benton, Lorne Green, Cheryl Ladd, and Rodney Allen Rippy albums.

Sabu, is it the English or French version of Ringo? I actually prefer the French, Lorne sounded cool & debonair in French.

J

This now available on cdnow.com

Features such favorites as:

1. King Henry the Fifth - William Shatner
  2. Elegy for the Brave - William Shatner
  3. Highly Illogical
  4. If I Had a Hammer
  5. Mr. Tambourine Man - William Shatner
  6. Where Is Love
  7. Music to Watch Space Girls By
  8. It Was a Very Good Year - William Shatner
  9. Ruby, Don't Take Your Love to Town
  10. Hamlet - William Shatner
  11. Visit to a Sad Planet
  12. Abraham, Martin and John
  13. Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds - William Shatner
  14. If I Was a Carpenter
  15. How Insensitive - William Shatner
  16. I'd Love Making Love to You
  17. Put a Little Love in Your Heart
  18. Sunny
  19. Gentle on My Mind
  20. I Walk the Line
  21. Ballad of Bilbo Baggins
  22. Everybody's Talkin'
  23. Both Sides Now
  24. Spock Thoughts

[ Edited by: joefla70 on 2005-02-04 15:39 ]

J

Has anyone heard Shatner's version of "Mr. Tamborine Man?" He does his trademark talk-up before the actual music and goes on this riff that reminds me of a reporter desperately trying to get a word with Mr. Tamborine Man - "hey Mister Tamborine Man?...Mister Tamborine Man?...MISTER TAMBORINE MAN (in this ungodly Shatner shriek)! It's classic! Buy the CD for that one track - it never fails to crack me up!

On 2005-02-04 19:01, johntiki wrote:
Has anyone heard Shatner's version of "Mr. Tamborine Man?"

I used to have it on my answering machine.

I'll see you a Shatner/Nimoy, and raise you a Richard Chamberlain!

Gosh, if that actor that plays in "Baywatch" ever releases an album, you guys will really have something to shoot for.

If you're a fan of this stuff, you really need to check out the "Golden Throats" compilations from Rhino.

http://www.rhino.com/store/ProductDetail.lasso?Number=70187

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/002-9556465-7850422

Are there any other Mrs. Miller fans out there?

Huh, the next thing you know Pat Boone will put out a heavy metal album or something.

Pages: 1 26 replies