Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Restoration/Conservation Help Needed

Pages: 1 2 replies

As you may have seen in my post in the collecting forum, I've found a Tiki that has been outside in the elements for about 20 years. It was carved in Hawaii and is somewhat soft to the touch so I'm assuming it's palmwood (?)

My questions are:
What can I do to conserve/restore this guy?
He has a pretty big hole in his head, and his feet are not in the best shape. Also, the redwood paint is peeling off. He's been painted a few times (the owner gave me a pic of what it used to look like, but my scanner is on the blink) Honestly, I'd prefer a natural stain instead of the red paint, but I'm not quite sure what I should do. Opinions???

BTW, this guy's other carvings (that he did locally, not in Hawaii) are all done out of telephone poles (!) and he "insisted" I take home some blanks for my carving work. I was about to question the safety of carving them, when he proudly stated how they'll last forever because of the poison & chemicals in them. sheesh!

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-04-24 16:05 ]

B

He's right They will last forever, but He won't.
If the Tiki was mine I would leave it the way it is. Maybe I would sink a large pipe or 2 into the bobbom andbury the pipes in the ground thus getting the tiki up Off the ground. That way it will dry out on the bottom and the rot will slow down. I'd just let the rest of the paint wear off.

8T

Congrats on a great find. The condition of your tiki brings back quite a few memories. You may have seen my first TC post before but if not here is a link to the story.
Perhaps you will find something useful in the details of the restoration process we went through. GOOD LUCK!
https://tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=6515&forum=1

Pages: 1 2 replies