Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hawaiian Christmas - Advice wanted

Pages: 1 10 replies

Advice and tips wanted,

My wahine and I are spending Christmas in Wakiki (Hawaiiana Hotel) and New Year in Kona Beach (King Kamehameha's) this year. I've never been to Hawaii before so I would like some advice on what to do and where to go specifically on Christmas Day and on New Year's eve.
I realise that this is a busy time of year, so if there is anything I need to book in advance, I wanna get if booked before too late.

Mahalo

P.S. This wasn't intended as a 'what is there to do in Hawaii' type post. I wanted to know specifically where are the best places or things to do in Oahu ON CHRISTMAS DAY. And do I need to book ahead. (and the best place for New Year on Hawaii).

[ Edited by: Kon-Hemsby on 2004-04-26 10:31 ]

mochi pounding is an old japanese new year's tradition.

mochi are balls of cooked, pounded sweet rice. i think they're yummy.

on the big island, check out Hilo's Hongwanji Mission before New Year's Eve, when mochi is placed in tiers all over the place for good luck, and you'll spot these glutinous balls of cooked, pounded sweet rice.

do some research & you should find more about mochi, new years & hawaii

It's so weird to be there on X-Mas; Honolulu and surrounding areas are decked, but it's like 85 degrees out.

(I saw a frosty the snowman in 85 degrees and it really freaked me out; really.)

Went with my family when I was 11 years old (many moons ago). X-mas Hawaiian Style was a blast! If any of you out there get a chance, go and experience it during the hollidays. The only drag was coming back in shorts and getting off the plane to 50 degree weather!

Hey Kon-Hemsby,
Christmas in Hawaii is great. Me and the family did it a couple of years ago and it was a wonderful experience. The Aloha spirit is at an all time high during christmas.
Most of the hotels put on a great spread for Chrismas dinner, we took advantage of the buffet at the Royal Hawaiian and loved it. just make reservations early.
I also recommend going downtown. They put out huge decorations for about 2-3 blocks around city hall, both in and outside of the public buildings. We went down on Chrismas eve and it was like a big party. Everyone comes out to see the lights and sing carols and share aloha. We then went across the street to the old church (forgot the name, begins with a K) for service. Even if your're not religious, hearing a mass in Hawaiian is a beautiful thing.
Mele Kalikimaka!
:tiki:

Tiki Royale...massive thanks, that is exactly the sort of information/advice I need.

Please keep the recommendations flowing for my Christmas Day...places to eat, drink, luau's, etc etc and New Year...places to drink.

Kon-H,

The best Mai Tai, without a doubt, verfied by Al and myself (at least 1,254 times), is at Chucks Steak House off of Beachwalk.

On 2004-04-26 10:25, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Kon-H,

The best Mai Tai, without a doubt, verfied by Al and myself (at least 1,254 times), is at Chucks Steak House off of Beachwalk.

Cheers Bong Man, it's noted and is on my list.

Mahalo

Go to Chinatown in Honolulu for New Year's Eve. New Year's Day is a huge holiday in Hawaii - maybe bigger than Christmas and definitely more fireworks than the Fourth of July. When the fireworks go off at midnight you will not believe your ears. The traditional thing to do is to go to your Auntie's open house on New Year's Day and eat lots of ono food -- don't know how to advise you on that.
KG

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-04-27 14:00 ]

I've never been to Hawaii on x-mas, but here's my $.02 anyway...

I'd go surfing. Why? Because, you can.

Mele-cowabunga-kalikimaka!

Pages: 1 10 replies