Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Your Favorite TV Detective

Pages: 1 2 64 replies

Sam Gambino's post about the 'telly' record came along last week with a strange kojak synchronicity. both my wahine and i heard kojak references in conversation, and then there was the record.

but i'll have to say 'peter gunn' for me.

get smart and mannix are high up there too...

J

I was never really familiar with the "classic" TV detective since I didn't watch much television as a kid so I'm gonna go with the ones I did watch religiously...Magnum P.I. and Simon and Simon - Thursday nights on CBS circa 1980's!

Columbo

A

Rockford

Before she was fighting Borgs She was fighting crime as Mrs. Columbo

On 2004-04-29 08:38, naugatiki wrote:
Before she was fighting Borgs She was fighting crime as Mrs. Columbo

man, i totally forgot about that one! you just shook loose a memory of an entire episode ~ odd. thx n-tiki!

Matlock!!!

kidding. It's got to be Columbo, hands down.

-Z

K
Kono posted on Thu, Apr 29, 2004 9:03 AM

Kono.

Unless you mean private detective then I'd have to go with Rockford.

A few weeks ago I caught the Magnum episode that introduced the Simon and Simon brothers characters. It was about an auction for an ancient tiki that held a curse. Magnum would've had a better chance of being my favorite detective if he wasn't always wearing those creepy proto-Daisy Dukes shorts.

Banacek.

S

Mannix all the way! Tough, handsome, drove a green convertible Chrysler always, with a phone in it! AND, can tag a pebble from 100 feet with a snub nosed revolver! Off da hook! And, the soundtrack, and Peggy, and ...

B

Didn't Encyclopedia Brown have a short-lived TV show?

Now that was a detective - always foiling Bugs Meany's plans!

I always liked Dan Tanna on Vegas.

8T

TV: Ironside
Cartoon: Inch High Private Eye
Movies: Charlie Chan!!!

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki on 2004-04-29 10:27 ]

this is a tough call for me. i grew up watching every detective show imaginable. i really loved kojak...his flair..his style...his lollipops. yet, i have also seen all the episodes of scooby doo, the prisoner, and of perry mason 10 billion times. they all sorta count as detectives, right?

as for columbo, i could never get over the glass eye thing. too distracting. i have an eye phobia.

and just to keep ahead of the thread, here is who i have to offer as the worst tv detectives:

jessica fletcher (everybody she met would die! i still have nightmares about her)
matlock (crotchety old b.....)
miami vice (80's ick with don)
nash bridges (90's ick with don)
dick van dyke--dx murder (highest rated show among the 70 plus crowd)

and im sure there are many more, those just seem to stand out for me right now. i was forced to watch all of these shows (and all other detective related shows) due to my mom, and now i can honestly attest that i have been emotionally scarred by having to watch the likes of angela lansbury snoop around every thursday night.

I liked Lancelot Link...I know, I know, he was more of a secret agent, spy guy (talking monkey's always make me laugh).
I liked Kolchack the Night Stalker series too, he was a Paranormal Invesegator does that count as a P.I.?

Anyone know if they put out an original soundtrack to Coprock?

On 2004-04-29 11:16, DawnTiki wrote:
I liked Lancelot Link...

That was a fun show. Here is an album they came out with.

Get Smart
Inspector Clouseaux

T

Columbo is what I remember liking most as a kid, but lately my favorite shows are Peter Gunn (on DVD) and 77 Sunset Strip.

Favorite cop shows growing up were Adam 12, Dragnet, the Mod Squad, and later Charlie's Angels for obvious reasons.

Heck Ramsey

I'm a Rockford ("Angel" was a favorite of mine - such a hilarious loser!) and Columbo addict. I always liked Mannix and Starsky and Hutch, but when I was seven years old, I wanted to be Baretta. I liked his grittiness and the Sammy Davis Jr. theme song. Cannon was good too. (Great thread, JD)

http://www.samgambino.com

Steve McGarret aka the LEGENDARY Jack Lord!!

i like Adrian Monk ~ yeah, he's new, but funny quirky.

Cannon ~ TV's fattest PI

oooh and Remmington Steele

77 Sunset Strip's Stu Bailey (played by Efrem Zimbalist Jr.)

J

We've heard everyone mention the best TV cops now how about the worst? I don't know if he really qualifies as a P.I. but who remembers "The Equalizer" - old guy driving around in a Jaguar, kicking ass and protecting those who needed protection! I remember watching an episode where the main character, the white haired Edward Woodward, was beating the hell out of three guys in a dark alley and finding it ridiculous...come to think of it, it was so bad it was surprisingly good.

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: johntiki on 2004-04-30 07:42 ]

J

Now that I'm on a roll about 80's detective/cop shows, you know what was a really great cop show...Crime Story. Set in early 60's Chicago then halfway through its run moving to Vegas...that was great! It had a whole mafia connection and starred Dennis Farina as Lt. Mike Torello...so you know it's gotta be cool!

JohnTiki

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ Edited by: Johntiki on 2004-04-30 11:43 ]

Favorite: Cagney and Lacey

Least Favorite: Quincy

Ah Quincy you thought it was Punk Rock that was killing the children but it turned out to be an ice-pick wound hidden by the other bruises. I remeber there is an episode of Quincy where they think a cruise liner is infected with plague but it turns out its halucinations brought on by eating the flowers in cocktails which were served in coconuts.

Edward Woodward on the other hand is respected singer in the UK and is better known for his musical ability..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1598&item=4010336810&rd=1

..also he is known for the famous joke.

Q. Why dose Edward Woodward have four D's in his name?

A. Because otherwise he'd be called Ewar Woowar.

I myself like KOLCHAK THE NIGHT STALKER but he's more of a Reporter/Detective.

I remeber there is an episode of Quincy where they think a cruise liner is infected with plague but it turns out its halucinations brought on by eating the flowers in cocktails which were served in coconuts.

That's funny, I remember it as being caused by the edible bowls of that came with the taco salad.

On 2004-04-30 10:31, cynfulcynner wrote:

Least Favorite: Quincy

I have to agree with you there cyn. I loved Jack Klugman(SP?) in the Odd Couple TV series, but in Quincy he just seemed bland, stiff and unconvincing. Always ready to climb up on a soapbox and preach to the audience (maybe this was a reprisal of his role as AA sponsor in Days of Wine & Roses).

On 2004-04-30 16:00, Raffertiki wrote:

I remeber there is an episode of Quincy where they think a cruise liner is infected with plague but it turns out its halucinations brought on by eating the flowers in cocktails which were served in coconuts.

That's funny, I remember it as being caused by the edible bowls of that came with the taco salad.

You must have been eating the flowers in your cocktails if you think that, the episode in contention is "Quincy, M.E. - Slow Boat to Madness" its a two parter so it might turn up as a TV movie sometime.

MB

Rockford Files.
And I have to say, thanks for the memories, Dawntiki, I loved Night Stalker. I can remember being allowed to stay up a little bit later and hangin' with my Dad to watch Kolchak and his scary adventures...loved it!
Aloha!

Magnum and Simon and Simon my favs...

How about Riptide though? Anyone remember that one? Perry King... Joe Penny... The big junky Sikorsky helicopter they had... the robot...
Seems a lot of P.I.s lived on boats... these guys, one of the Simon brothers... Crocket, though he was Vice...

Steven J. Cannell shows were my favorite in the 80's...

There was an episode of "Boomtown" that one of the actors from Riptide playing a faded actor who used to be in a show like Riptide and they used clips from Riptide as footage for the old actors show.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-9581/epid-195995/

C

On 2004-05-01 22:49, Mrs. B wrote:
I can remember being allowed to stay up a little bit later and hangin' with my Dad to watch Kolchak and his scary adventures...loved it!

Loved that show, got to do the same with my Dad.

T

How is it possible that Hawaiian Eyr hasn't been metioned on this thread?

Anyway: I second the motion for Maxwell Smart.

Do those meddling kids who always kept the bad guy from "getting away with it, too" on Scooby Doo count as detectives?

D

tikibars wrote

Scooby Doo count as detectives

rabso-roo-ree!
Why does Scooby say everything starting with R's? Just curious.

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-05-02 19:40 ]

On 2004-05-02 19:36, DawnTiki wrote:
tikibars wrote

rabso-roo-ree!

astro envy?

T

On 2004-05-02 19:36, DawnTiki wrote:
tikibars wrote

rabso-roo-ree!

'Cuz he's a dog.

Doesn't your dog talk that way?

Mine does.

T

Didn't have to think about this one at all. Leslie Nielsen as Lt. Frank Drebin on "Police Squad." (In color!)

Dude, you're gettin' a Tiki!

[ Edited by: TikiMikey on 2004-05-03 19:04 ]

D

Tikibars wrote

Doesn't your dog talk that way?

My dog and I had a more telepathic thang. No words needed! :)

S
sungod posted on Tue, May 4, 2004 1:15 PM

MONK! Cause"It's a jungle out there."

On 2004-05-02 16:43, tikibars wrote:
How is it possible that Hawaiian Eye hasn't been metioned on this thread?

i would love to vote for hawaiian eye, but have never seen it. i have googled, amazoned etc to find it on dvd. nada. anyone know where this show can be acquired? mahalo, jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj$

p.s. those meddling kids are alright, but it's really all about the shaggy.

D
Danno posted on Thu, May 6, 2004 12:46 PM

I agree with Donhonyc ~ Hawaii Five-O's Steve McGarrett (Jack Lord) and Danny "Danno" Williams (my namesake, except I don't spell so well).

TW

How about Mulder from X-Files? Does he count? :)

Let's all bow our heads in silence for a moment for the passing of Hawaii 5-0's Zulu

http://starbulletin.com/2004/05/07/news/index2.html

He's now in that big Iolani Palace in the sky

D
Danno posted on Fri, May 7, 2004 4:36 PM

Thanks for the post Naugatiki ~ I bow my head in silence.

K
Kono posted on Fri, May 7, 2004 8:25 PM

On 2004-05-07 11:38, naugatiki wrote:
Let's all bow our heads in silence for a moment for the passing of Hawaii 5-0's Zulu

http://starbulletin.com/2004/05/07/news/index2.html

He's now in that big Iolani Palace in the sky

That freakin' sucks. :(

Sorry but Five-O took a slight downward turn when Jack Lord got Zulu kicked off. Obviously Kono is my favorite character on the show. How can you not love a character with lines such as: "You tell them dogs dey bite me dey gonna get rabies!" or "Man...you wun big dumb Hawaiian, bruddah." How many times did he say that?

Kono: "I got photogenic memory."

McGarrett (chuckling): "Kono, that's photographic memory."

Kono (absolutely straightfaced): "Yeah, that's what I said."

Those quotes are from memory so may be off a bit. I've been looking for Zulu as Kono stuff for a while on the net and ebay with little success. I hope to sometime find a nice 8x10 b&w photo for a place of honor behind my future bar, but no luck so far.

Rest in peace Big Kahuna.

Pages: 1 2 64 replies