Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Your Favorite TV Detective

Pages: 1 2 64 replies

K
Klas posted on Sat, May 8, 2004 1:19 PM

Emma Peel!

indeed... one might classify emma peel as 'detective' or 'spy,' but i tend to classify her as 'goddess." :)

Kookie, "77 Sunset Strip." I have the CD of his '59 LP and the original 45 of his one hit wonder "Kookie, Lend Me Your Comb." I met him a couple of times, read his autobio, and bought an original "Dino's" ashtray off him for twenty bucks! He is the ginchiest, dad.

Second would be Peter Gunn. Can't top that theme song. OH yea, and Johnny Staccato (John Cassavettes) is right up there too. His theme (by Elmer Bernstein) is a close second fave to Mancini's signature hit. I have both of those soundtracks on LP as well, prized possessions. Both "Peter Gunn" Lps are on CD and you can find "Staccato's Theme" on one of Rhino's two excellent Crime Jazz CD comps. Crime jazz really makes the scene, man.

[ Edited by: AquaZombie on 2004-05-19 11:44 ]

On 2004-05-12 09:47, Johnny Dollar wrote:
indeed... one might classify emma peel as 'detective' or 'spy,' but i tend to classify her as 'goddess." :)

Big thumbs up on that J$. I think we might be launching a new topic here...Who's Your Favorite Spy? Well, I'll be the 1st one to throw my hat into the ring....I'm partial to the black spy in Mad Magazine's SPY VS. SPY. James Bond runs a close 2nd (Sean Connery Bond of course).

T

*On 2004-05-19 11:40, AquaZombie wrote:*Second would be Peter Gunn. Can't top that theme song. OH yea, and Johnny Staccato (John Cassavettes) is right up there too. His theme (by Elmer Bernstein) is a close second fave to Mancini's signature hit.

Lately they have been showing Johnny Staccato on the TRIO channel. I love the beatnik scenes!

S

Anyone remember "San Francisco Beat" (Also known as "The Line-up")? Starred Warner Anderson as Det. Lt. Ben Guthrie and Tom Tully as Inspector Matt Grebb.
I don't actually remember much about it, but as a little kid in the 50's it was pretty exciting to see a show filmed in the town where I was living.

[ Edited by: spy-tiki on 2004-05-20 13:37 ]

L

Fave TV Detective?
well since we're in Hawaii and this IS a tiki oriented group...

gotta be... not so much in order:

Steve McGarrett

Magnum

Tom Lopaka of Hawaiian Eye.

Marker.

N

This seemed the best place to post this.

I'm looking for copies of Ironside episodes from seasons 5-8 (the Fran Belding years). The DVD sales of seasons 1 & 2 were poor so there probably won't be further releases.

I'd take any US format. And I'm not particular about viewing quality as long as it's watchable.

PM me.

Nancy

Naneki,
There is a site 'tvaddicts' (search for 'Ironside dvd' on google), that has the whole series, season one through the finale. It's like 99.00, but you might be able to find it used for cheaper.
Ciao

G
GROG posted on Fri, Oct 16, 2009 10:36 AM

Barnaby Jones.

McCloud.

Batman and Robin.

The team from NCIS.

GROG notice nobody has picked nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys.

[ Edited by: GROG 2009-10-16 10:54 ]

Early Columbos, Peter Gunn, 77 Sunset Strip, hell we watched every kind of Detective/Western stuff in the late 50s/60s. Liked Highway Patrol with Brodrick Crawford. And Have Gun Will Travel was my favorite western detective.
Oh yeah, and Perry Mason (the early ones) was my favorite lawyer.

[ Edited by: drgoat456 2009-10-16 11:45 ]

The Green Hornet and Kato.

I was a big fan of the Magnum P.I. and Simon & Simon shows that ran back to back in the 1980's

Anybody remember Honey West? What was her profession?
A police detective? Spy? Private Eye?

J

On 2009-10-20 13:37, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:
Anybody remember Honey West? What was her profession?
A police detective? Spy? Private Eye?

Private Eye. Go here for the Tiki connection.....

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=14293&forum=1&vpost=425761

"Honey West" is still fun to watch, "Burke's Law" from around the same time, what about "Seahunt", Lloyd Bridges as Mike Nelson undersea Detective, "Peter Gunn" great music....

From the 80s "Spenser For Hire"

Later "Twin Peaks" "Brisco County Jr." cowboy detective, "Angel" Vampire detective, "X-files" Supernatural Investigator's, Frank Black in "Millennium" End of world Investigator, I am trying not to repeat the already mentioned shows from everyone else, except of course "Honey West"

Spy Shows don't count here, but we really need to start a new thread, because I think Spy Shows & Tiki really mix well...

D

I fianlly remembered!! It was Paul Drake from Perry Mason.

Pages: 1 2 64 replies