Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Hey San Diego! Tiki Hut Island Grille and Sushi?

Pages: 1 3 replies

UB

I know someone is going to show me the thread about this place, but I did many searches and in Critiki too, and came up with zilch.
Has anyone been here and what do you think.
http://www.tikihut.info/
I love tiki and I love sushi.
It's on SDSU's campus, so that might be a plus or minus right there. I mean for tiki factors. San Diego State is a great school.
Another stop for the first San Diego Tiki Central Bar Crawl?
Can't wait for that!

M

Went to the SDSU location of this place a couple of weeks ago. The food was pretty good and reasonably priced. Unfortunately, that's about the extent of my good words. It was mainly a sushi place (without an authentic sushi chef) and the Polynesian cuisine seemed like more of an afterthought. Very casual, you eat from paper plates with plastic utensils. Also, I'm not sure why they have the word "Tiki" in their name. There was not a single tiki in the whole place. A little bit of bamboo and some thatching here and there...that's about it. It's right on the college campus and was being run by a bunch of students when I was there. The whole place just seemed a little disorganized and somewhat dirty to me. Not worth going out of your way for. However, we used a buy one meal get one free coupon from our Entertainment book. That's the way to go if you want to check this place out. I really wanted this restaurant to be a great secret little tiki joint but I have to say that it was not what I expected.

ModMana :drink:

On 2004-05-02 18:01, ModMana wrote:
Went to the SDSU location of this place a couple of weeks ago. The food was pretty good and reasonably priced. Unfortunately, that's about the extent of my good words. It was mainly a sushi place (without an authentic sushi chef) and the Polynesian cuisine seemed like more of an afterthought. Very casual, you eat from paper plates with plastic utensils. Also, I'm not sure why they have the word "Tiki" in their name. There was not a single tiki in the whole place. A little bit of bamboo and some thatching here and there...that's about it. It's right on the college campus and was being run by a bunch of students when I was there. The whole place just seemed a little disorganized and somewhat dirty to me. Not worth going out of your way for. However, we used a buy one meal get one free coupon from our Entertainment book. That's the way to go if you want to check this place out. I really wanted this restaurant to be a great secret little tiki joint but I have to say that it was not what I expected.

ModMana :drink:

Thanks for the warning before I made a long journey to check it out.
If the word "tiki" comes back in the mainstream (or if it hasn't already) of word play, then it will be harder to take any establishment with the word in it seriously in the future. I hope I don’t see that day come. (If it’s already here, then please don’t tell me)

[ Edited by: Unga Bunga on 2004-05-03 00:47 ]

Mr. Bunga, The Sorrento Mesa location is 1 of the 4 Plate Lunch locations I mentioned in my "Musubi Crawl" post. It's in a strip mall food court & definetely the least of the places on my list. A better place close to SDSU is L&L's Hawaiian BBQ, Campus Plaza 6083 El Cajon Boulevard, Suite 5B-1, San Diego, CA 92115, Phone: (619) 229-6888.

There're much better places that the Tiki Hut around the Mira Mesa area:

• Bamboo Hut
    9172 Mira Mesa Blvd
    San Diego, CA 92126
    (858)-348-0414
    (Lots of Bamboo, good sushi)
  • Island Boy Grille
    10066 Pacific Heights Blvd., Sorrento Mesa San Diego, CA
    Phone: (619) 452-7708
    (Has Tikis around the counter!)
  • Yokozuna's Sushi Bar & Islander Grill
    10920 Roselle St., Ste. 107, San Diego (Sorrento Valley), CA
    Phone: (858)-450-4690

I've still gotta check out Sandwich Island Deli, but I think the most hawaiian thing about it is a Mahi sandwich.

Here's a website with locations of Plate Lunch places around So Cal.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2004-05-03 12:26 ]

Pages: 1 3 replies