Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Directions for SoCal Tiki Apartments

Pages: 1 7 replies

Z

I'll be heading out to Palm Springs this weekend for the big party and will be flying into LAX on Friday morning. I wanted to check out a few of the Poly Pop apartments in the LA/OC area before heading out to the Tropics first thing Sat. morning. I planned on stopping by O.A, the apts. along Rosemead Blvd. in Whittier (tour previously detailed by Bigbro)and also want to stop by this place.

(photo from Humuhumu's Critiki.com web site, GREAT web site)

The directions given on the web site are "Tiki Apartments - Palos Verdes Drive, South of PCH, Torracne - just a few blocks from the beach". Anyone have a more detailed description or address for this place? I'm just not that familiar with the LA area. Thanks.

DZ

If you're driving out of LAX, the directions are pretty easy: take the Sepulveda/Hwy 1 exit from the airport going south. You'll pass through all the beach cities (ElSegundo, Manhattan & Hermosa - look for the big moai on top of The Pitcher House in Hermosa, corner of PCH & 2nd) before you get to Redondo Beach. Along the way, Sepulveda will turn into Pacific Coast Hwy (PCH). PCH meanders in a pretty straightforward southerly direction until you get into South Redondo where it turns eastward. The first intersection after this turn is Palos Verdes Blvd. Make a right, go up about 3 blocks and the Tiki Apartments will be on your right - I don't know the address off the top of my head, but they're pretty easy to spot. Definitely get out of the car and see the tikis up clase, and if you can, go inside and see the courtyard.

I'd invite you to stop by my place beforehand (I'm just a few blocks away) but, alas, I'll be at the Oasis already...

DZ

Oh, and if you're going to be in the neighborhood, be sure to stop by the Eli Kai and Kona Kai apartments, too! I don't know their addresses either, but from the Tiki Apts, turn around and go back to PCH. Make a right and continue eastward. After you pass the high school, you'll come to Anza Avenue. The NEXT street is Ocean Avenue (no light, just a turn lane). Make a left, glance to the left and bow your head in respect to the former location of The Polynesian/Latitude 20. Continue down Ocean until you get to 225th st. From this intersection, The Kona Kai apts are about 1/2 block further down Ocean; the Eli Kai apts are about 1/2 block to the right. Definitely get out and see the courtyards of both - the Eli Kai is quite impressive, the Kona Kai a lot less so. Sabu had a great post with lots of pix, but he's deleted them...

Have fun, take pictures!

Thanks Z, see you at the Oasis on Sat.

Zulu Magoo,
Could you provide the link to the previously detailed apartment tour? We will be in the area next month and would love visit them
Thank You,
Gem

On 2004-05-02 22:01, Doctor Z wrote: Definitely get out of the car and see the tikis up clase, and if you can, go inside and see the courtyard.

They were all unlocked when I went on a Southbay tiki tour.

There is also a tiki-fied bar somewhere on PCH (which you must have mentioned in a prior post), but, alas, it was closed when I was there.

D

i stumbled across a website today Synthetrix

here are some tiki apartments ~ Great photography, i don't see addresses though.

There are two very dramatic A frame apts located on La Cienega, between La Tijera and Florence, somewhat near LAX.

Also, on your way to the Purple Orchid, don't miss the Big O of Randy's Donuts on Florence and La Cienega.

Pages: 1 7 replies