Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Lewis VanDercar, a mid 50's Tiki artist....

Pages: 1 36 replies

Hello everyone, I'm looking for any information anyone might have concerning Lewis VanDercar, a Miami Tiki artist who died about 10 years ago.
He's main art was Tiki, but he did some other sculpturing aswell like the 20 ton dragon on the Merritt Island. And some, actually very few paintings with a wit...
Anyhow, the reason for my research is that there is a charitable organization trying to get funding for the Merritt Island Dragon of VanDercar. And I have 2 of his rare paintings, The Satyr and the Lady, and, Jesus, Mohamed and Buddha..( all 3 drunk..)
And I would like to give these paintings into an auction the charity will make for the dragon, but I dont have any idea for how much VanDercar's work goes...
So if anyone knows anything please email me asap.
Thanks to all and be well.
[email protected]

[ Edited by leevigraham on 2022-03-17 21:25:47 ]

H

Welcome to Tiki Central! Here's a recent thread discussing this artist:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic-new.php?topic=7197&forum=1

B

I grew up in Miami, 36th street NE and Biscayne Boulevard. VanDerCars house was on around 20th street 1 block eaast on Bisc Blvd. As Teens we (sister, brother and I) went to his house a few times. All the descriptions on these pages are pretty accurate. He was Strange. His local reputation was not favorable. Parents cautioned their kids to Stay away from the "perverts" house, lest bad things happen to you. He was Very friendly though and eagerly opened his home to strangers. I remember the wierd art work Everywhere. Sculptures, paintings and music. We enjoyed going to his house and sometimes he would be playing his piano. I don't remember any Tikis, but at the time in my early to mid teens, I don't think I knew what a Tiki was.
I just remember all the far-out art work. I have often wondered about the man and wished I had gotten to know him a bit.
Thats my story and I'm sticken to it.
This was in the mid sixties

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-05-07 17:24 ]

Wow Socialite,
then you and my husband probably know eachothers, he used to hang around VanDercar's house too, and Muggins and David, VanDercar's kids where good friends of him. My husband's family lived that time in the Star Island.
Anyhow, VanDercar did sculpt a lot of Tiki, some of it was onsale about a year ago on a private website, all sold by the time I got hold of the host of the site, and they didnt want to give me prices. A privacy issue, I was told politely.
VanDercar was recarded as "wierd" at that time by many people, especially people associating with church as he himself was more of a non-church goer...
But nevertheless a regodnized and respected artist, quite avangard at that time.
Best wishes,
Draig

On 2004-05-08 10:44, draig_glass wrote:

Anyhow, VanDercar did sculpt a lot of Tiki, some of it was onsale about a year ago on a private website, all sold by the time I got hold of the host of the site, and they didnt want to give me prices. A privacy issue, I was told politely.

Very interesting. Could you e-mail me the URL of that site or it's host, even knowing that they sold all and won't give prices, I am interested in it for research, maybe they have photos of his Tiki works?

You might want to check out my flickr photos as I took some detailed photos of Van Dercar paintings at the recent Tiki event Ohana: Luau by the Lake.

Check them out here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tiki_kiliki

Wow! I remember those paintings, especially the Tiki-carving one, from this earlier thread about the Motel:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21674&forum=2&start=0

...where I enthused:

On 2008-04-07 21:22, bigbrotiki wrote:
Great, Jack fixed the photos, and added the Witco Outriggers and some other cool pics. I especially love that painting of the Tiki carver A-frame, a master piece of naive Poly pop art!. Now I wanna go there....

...but I had no idea that Van Dercar painted these! How did you find out that these are by him!? They must be signed? And nobody else noticed all this time? What a great discovery!

Now I am wondering how many of the stone Tikis at the Motel were his handiwork. There is one where I specifically recognize his modernist beatnik/ alien style, but since I am not at home yet, I only have this partial scan, it's the one cut off in the lower right corner:

You can only see the forehead here, check it out in full in the BOT. That must be a Van Dercar!

Here is the link (the above one is dead) to my search for Van Dercar Tiki art:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=7197&forum=1&start=0

Alas, due to the vagaries of the internet, many links on that thread are dead (but his photo in the BOT lives on -long live books! :) )

He also must have painted the mural in the "lower lounge" then:

Was that still there?

T

Lewis VanDercar’s spirit is restless again along the Space Coast, as yet another group emerges to resurrect Annie the Dragon...

Then

Now

Florida Today May 25, 2012

-Tom

T

Restoration of Lewis VanDercar’s fallen giant, Annie the Dragon, continues to be doubtful...

Florida Today August 20, 2012

-Tom

T

Lewis VanDerCar's Space Coast legacy continues to be controversy...

"State regulators, bank warn 'Annie the Dragon' fundraiser" in this Florida Today newspaper article by Rick Neale posted this morning, November 24, 2012.

-Tom

That was so interesting. the first time i've ever heard about Annie the Dragon.

I was looking through my postcard collections and noticed something from the Hawaiian Isle card I have.

The strange looking men and Tikis out front look a lot like the figures that Van DerCar did at the Luau.

I am thinking these are from him as well.

DC

A bigger close up.

DC

I would concur, yes. The big mask wall fountain with light-up eyes certainly is. Here is a photo of it that Jeff Berry took on a trip in the 80s:

...a little less glamorous than the brochure picture from Tiki's heyday :)

Here he is with similar statues in front of his home in Zephyr Hills:

Wonder if they were added later, or just did not last very long....

Found this video on-line that has a peak at the statues in front of the Hawaiian Isel around the 37 second mark.

Hawaiian Isle

DC

Hey Dusty, I use to drive a 1968 Hawaiian Isel :lol:

Advertisement for a Deviled Egg sculpture by Lewis Vandercar I spotted in Playboy Magazine April 1963 page 166.
http://martiantiki.com/vandercar-deviled-egg/ (600DPI scan)

A search for deviled egg vandercar turned up this site and photo of a similar sculpture on his estate.
http://naturepictures.ning.com/photo/the-deviled-egg-a-sculpture-at?context=user

Perhaps someone could design a deviled egg mug in honor of him.

edit 7/3/15 above url is down saved this from google

[ Edited by: martian-tiki 2015-07-03 22:03 ]

S

An update on VanDercar's famous dragon

http://www.floridatoday.com/longform/news/local/2015/04/24/brevard-merritt-island-dragon-point-will-rise-again-in-2017/26241673/

On 2012-08-20 09:36, TikiTomD wrote:
Restoration of Lewis VanDercar’s fallen giant, Annie the Dragon, continues to be doubtful...

Florida Today August 20, 2012

-Tom

old ebay auction i saved

Lewis-Van-Dercar-Sculpture-Miami-Artist-Listed-Vandercar
Item Sold Feb 02, 2014 19:03:55 PST
Winning bid: US $99.99
[ 1 bid ]
Shipping:$13.65 Economy Shipping
Item location: Evanston, Illinois, United States
Seller: gneissguise (1022 )
Nice sculpture by popular Miami artist Lewis Van Dercar (1913-1988), 9" tall, heavy (approx 5 1/2 lbs), made of cement with gold/silver finish, signed Van Dercar and VAN. No known edition; presumed to be a unique piece. Van Dercar was an interesting figure who considered himself to be a warlock or magus; he is perhaps best known his cement/concrete sculptures and built a large scale sculpture garden at his home. This appears to be a trantric pose of some kind in good condition. No reserve!

another old ebay auction

Lewis Vandercar Oil Painting Miami's Andy Warhol Bohemian Van Dercar

Ended:Dec 14, 2013 16:10:54 PST
Winning bid:
US $465.00
[ 13 bids ]
Shipping:$33.84 Standard Shipping
Item location:
Murphy, North Carolina, United States
Seller: drakehill001 (756 )

Lewis Vandercar (Van Dercar) Oil on Canvas dated '63', Magus Supreme Warlock

Seller :giles22 (2110 )

“The canvas is in very nice shape. there is one small area in the black paint that appears to have ”

Price:US $500.00
Shipping:
$45.96 Economy Shipping | See details
Ended: Apr 07, 2015 , 8:31AM
Item location:
Glen Burnie, Maryland, United States

Original Oil on Canvas Painting

Artist: Lewis VanDercar (Van Dercar) (1913-1989)

Title: N/A

Signed: Yes, signed "VAN" in lower left. VanDercar signed on verso of canvas, with 63 (likely the date) and illegible writing.

Size: In View is 15" wide x just under 24" high, Frame is approximately 22" Wide x 31" high

This is a very intersting abstract painting by Miami/Zypher Hills., FL artist Lewis VanDercar. The painting is a dark scene with a couple of figures in the forefront, one appears to be seated, one standing, with a tree looming in the front left of the scene. The sun or moon appears to be peaking through in the upper right quadrant, and there is either water, or possibly some type of hole in the ground behind the standing figure. The paint has a heavy texture, and it is a very attractive piece of art. The canvas is in very good shape, with no noticed damage or repairs. There is one small chip in the heavy black paint, please see photo 5, in which I circled the chip in yellow. The signature on the front says only VAN. It is possible that the rest of the signature is hidden behind the frame, or just wasn't signed. The back of the canvas has the typical VanDercar script signature in marker, along with what I believe to be a date, 63. The frame is made of wood, and painted green. It has a number of dings and chips in the paint which could be filled and repainted.

LEWIS VANDERCAR 4'X3' ORIGINAL SIGNED MASTERPIECE OIL PAINTING WARHOL ART

Seller :epicwin2012 (428 )
currently unsold (3/13/2016 edit - best offer accepted

current auction unsold

Lewis Vandercar (Van Dercar) Oil on Canvas Signed Abstract Painting "Warhol" Art
Warrior (Soldier) or "Conquistador" - BEAUTIFUL Piece!

Seller :
jmac-57 (721 )

Price:
US $2,250.00

You are bidding on a stunning example of Vandercar's Original Art. This is an Untitled piece, but the image is of a Man, A Warrior (Soldier) or "Conquistador"
Neutral Tones and Beautiful Brush Strokes. This piece is signed by Van Dercar lower left.
This is Framed and the frame itself measures approximately 20 1/2 X 24 1/2 inches
The actual piece of art / canvas measures approximately 16 X 20 inches.
Note: This came from a very nice Vintage Estate
Condition: There is a crack in the paint that may cause a paint chip (see photos)
Also, where the artist layed a heavy brush-stroke, it is missing a small piece of paint (a small white piece; see photos)

The tiki erotica thread page 61 has some Lewis Van Dercar art behind nude model Ruth Anderson.

From issue

Jaguar
Volume 4 Number 7
May 1970

ARTIST LEWIS VANDERCAR 20x16 ORIGINAL SIGNED MASTERPIECE OIL PAINTING WARHOL ART
Oil on Canvas, Titled "WOMAN".

Seller :
schieks (1673 )
100% Positive feedback
| Visit store: Schieks Antique Digger

Ended:
Mar 06, 2016 , 9:52AM
Starting bid:
US $975.00
[ 0 bids ]

Item location:
Florida, United States

ARTIST LEWIS VANDERCAR 24x30 ORIGINAL SIGNED MASTERPIECE OIL PAINTING WARHOL ART
Oil on Canvas, Titled "Oe'Own's Song"

Seller :
schieks (1673 )

| Visit store: Schieks Antique Digger

Mar 06, 2016 , 10:01AM
Starting bid:
US $1,975.00

I appreciate, martian-tiki, you keeping tabs on the man's work. His art is really classic thrift store art. I am missing photos of the man, and of his Tiki-esque work here, so here are some photos I clipped from the e-bay/ the interweb - not mine, could not afford them all :(

A younger Lewis mentors the next generation

A seasoned artist in front of his Miami home (reminds me of Big Daddy Roth)

His wife retrieving mail from his macho mail box

Unknown fan (relative?) climbing one of his sculptures

T

Sven, both top and bottom VanDercar photos in your post are from 1959. The bottom photo is of his daughter, Muggins (aka Margaret, I believe).

-Tom

This sold instantly.

Original Lewis Vandercar Large Oil on Canvas, Signed and Titled by Artist

Seller :
spikel33 (386 )
100% Positive feedback

Ended:
Mar 18, 2016 , 9:25AM
Sold for:
US $350.00
Best offer accepted
Shipping:
FREE Expedited Shipping | See details

Item location:
Port Richey, Florida, United States

Lewis Vandercar (American 1913-1988) Oil on canvas unstretched, 37” x 49” canvas, 35.5” x 48” painting sight lines. Signed bottom left and signed with title ‘Return Voyage’ verso. Needs to be stretched, several minor flecks of paint loss, very good condition. Lewis Vandercar was a well known painter and Sculptor working in Miami from the 1950’s – 1970’s. This painting is on askART and they title this ‘”The Ghost Ship” (Flying Dutchman) but the title on verso reads ‘Return Voyage’.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lewis-Vandercar-PAN-Statue-Art-Cement-And-Bronze-Rare-Unique-Piece-/222311269150
Seller information
pcfm485 (15 )
US $499.99

Lewis Vandercar PAN Statue Art Cement And Bronze Rare Unique Piece
Up for auction is this very rare Lewis Vandercar signed sculpture. It appears to be a sculpture of PAN and some had said it was a self portrait. Either way it is a very unique piece by a very unique artist. It is a mix of cement and possibly bronze. The eyes are some sort of glass green in color. It stands a little over 6 feet tall and mounted on a solid cement square.

=================

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lewis-Vandercar-Self-Portrait-Original-Oil-Painting-Miami-Artist-Haunted-Warlock-/192008676583

Seller information
seawitchsalvage (764 )

US $400.00

FRAME MEASURES 35" BY 29" - SUBSTANTIAL PIECE. IN VERY GOOD CONDITION - SIGNED FRONT AND BACK AND TITLED "THE SAGE".

===================

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VANDERCAR-Original-Canvas-Art-/302090726379

Ended:
Oct 27, 2016 , 8:03PM
US $400.00
cardiacbill75 (86 )

This 24" x 30" canvas is an original by the contemporary Florida artist aka ("The Wizard Artist of Miami") Lewis Vandercar (1913-1988). He is well known in the area for his work which include sculptures.
There is some cracking on the piece which I tried to photograph but altogether it's in good condition. The frame looks original to the piece and the linen on it needs a bit of cleaning. The framed piece measures 35 1/4" x 29 5/8".

This seems to me like a odd painting subject from our favorite warlock.

VINTAGE LEWIS VAN DERCAR PAINTING SINGING MAN WOMAN DUET MIAMI ARTIST 24" × 30"

US $49.99
[ 0 bids ]

Seller information
bubbatat (1937 ) Item location:
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States

Super Rare LEWIS VAN DERCAR Tiki Painting Original Signed 1967 Framed @ SEE BIO@
Price:
US $18,500.00 (UNSOLD)
Seller information
jens-treasures (919 )

Signed 1967
Original Frame

36 inches x 46 inches

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lewis-VanDercar-The-Lagoon-Very-Large-Florida-oil-painting-circa-1965/112987661473

Lewis VanDercar, The Lagoon, Very Large Florida oil painting circa 1965

Buy it Now Price: US $1,665.00

Width (Inches): 50 3/4 Height (Inches): 39

Some amazing footage of Lewis Vandercar circa 1964 that may have been previously linked on Tiki Central to a site behind a paywell. Lots of footage of his carvings. At about the 12:50 mark, he talks about his Polynesian carvings and fascination with Easter Island. Love how he drops a "Miamah" at the end.

http://www.wolfsonarchives.info/view_permalink/?fileid=WC08016.mp4

Original Signed Painting by Lewis VanDercar / Protecting the Home
Seller : sophies_stuff (563 ) 100% Positiv
Time left:Time left:6d 15h Sunday, 4:41PM
Starting bid:US $700.00
Price:US $950.00Buy It Now

Pages: 1 36 replies