Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

TIKI OASIS IV - How was the Event? How was the Resort? How was The REEF?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 216 replies

C

With The REEF under control this year, I finally got an opportunity to spend time with many of you (not all, but many). THANK YOU FOR YOUR ON-GOING SUPPORT--this is my favorite weekend of the season!

Thanks for the pics Fred....I feel satiated....like I've just had a good mai tai without having one. Oh the naked dancing wahine....like back in the old daze.
Keep the pictures coming.

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader on 2004-05-09 21:28 ]

Everything was great this year. I think peoples only real complaint from last year was that the bar was not ready for the onlsaught of tropical drinks that would be requested. Bringing The Purple Orchid's staff to be sure everything went off well was a great idea.

I couldn't belive how many more vendors there were this year. The bands wre great, the tiki artist shwoing their goods were awesome, it was all good.

I think the highlight was when the greatest tiki band on the East Coast the Fisherman tried to start up a little East Coast/West Coast beef. Luckily King Kook was there to bust a little freestyle and shut em down.

for those who couldn't make it here go som short clips for ya...(they'll play best on Medi Player)

Fisherman:
http://www.tufftimes.com/tikioasis4/Tiki_Oasis_4_fisherman01.avi
http://www.tufftimes.com/tikioasis4/Tiki_Oasis_4_fisherman02.avi

East Coast VS West Coast:
http://www.tufftimes.com/tikioasis4/Tiki_Oasis_4_EC_VS_WC_A.avi
http://www.tufftimes.com/tikioasis4/Tiki_Oasis_4_EC_VS_WC_B.avi

APE:
http://www.tufftimes.com/tikioasis4/Tiki_Oasis_4_APE01.avi
http://www.tufftimes.com/tikioasis4/Tiki_Oasis_4_APE02.avi
http://www.tufftimes.com/tikioasis4/Tiki_Oasis_4_APE03.avi

all these will work in about a half hour

UB

Great Vids Sam!
Thanks for putting them up so fast.
Reg: East Coast VS West Coast;
Was the B video the West?
It looked like they won.

Ape was definitely rockin.
Crazy Al looked like he was given a tiki sermon at the alter. I think I converted (but that was a long time ago). That freakin wild man! Gotta love em.

Yeah on B that was King Kukelele, and he was actually freestyling, he was up there maiking it up as he went. I want to see King Kook in the sequel to 8 Mile!!! Maybe it will be called 8 Miles To Echo Park (where Kook has his tiki apartments)

F

The Reef looks like a real tiki bar now and it was sure operating like one. The Caliente Resort was impeccably run (as usual). The staff is friendly and fun. I think even Ula is loosening up a bit. Get this WE DIDN'T EVEN GET THROWN OUT OF THE POOL AREA AT MIDINGHT!!! Yay!

This was a wonderful weekend. I am so happy to have this tiki tribe in my life. You people are nuts! Room 135 was as great this year as the first. I couldn't believe it when I looked out the door as the last guests left and the sky was lightening up. It was almost dawn. How did that happen?

Dr. Z brought out these two big conga drums. Maracas, Mr. Pineapple's bongos and my new Tiki Cajon drum (made custom for me by Tiki Central's own CajonDrums in Olympia, WA) rounded out the percussion section. One very cool guy whose identity will now doubt surface soon, brought this little keyboard thing that had a tube sticking out of it. The musician blows into the tube and plays the keys and it makes this kind of harmonica sound. Futura Girl could also play this thing very well.

The room was already cranking and the police had come and gone when King decided it was time to bust out the uke (2 AM?), that's when it got really funny.

On Friday night there was a good drum circle in progress by the pool. Someone even brought a homemade washtub and garden rake bass. It was fun to see Frank Novicki of Ape and Crazy Al take a whack at playing it. Good thing I remembered to use the nightvision setting on my video camera this year!

[ Edited by: floratina on 2004-05-09 21:44 ]

C

I want to remind everyone, and inform those who don't know, The REEF is a product of the diligence, and hard work of Bamboo Ben and Crazy Al. Their heart and soul is reflected in every inch of the place (inside and outside) and we are very lucky to be on the receiving end of their incredible talent!Mahalo, Floratina!

let's just say that after AlnShelley's hospitality suite on friday night it took me the whole next day to recover. And as far as Saturday goes - I didn't realize until Sunday - that all Saturday night I HAD MY MUMU ON BACKWARDS!!!

Another Oasis at the Tropics -- life couldn't be sweeter. My only complaint is that the weekend was too short. Here I am back at my dark and dank cubicle - back to reality.... which sucks.

More pics to come soon...

Casey,

Everything was great! Enjoyed being the first band to play in the newly tiki-fied Reef bar.

(alright, now back to sleep)

T

Aloha and Big Mahalos to all!

The weekend did go by fast. The amazing thing to me is that after I left on Sunday morning I was back in Charleston (2500 miles away!) about 6 and a half hours later. So far away in so little time. That arrival home is always a little depressing.

The event was great and being around my tiki friends is always fantastic. The format of the events seems down pat now and things really ran smoothly, and for the most part, on time.

Room 135 had the "big" party this year on Sat night and that seemed to work good for most. The "calls" on the tiki phone were so funny. And the new “Shut the Door” song was a hit and went on for about 45 minutes and the lyrics took different turns.

There was an awkward moment when one chick brought in a "dance mix" CD. One TC’er took her CD and ran across the parking lot with it! She later returned and got all fussy with me and demanded I give her the name of the culprit (but your identity is safe, so don't worry).

The police arrived just as King was calling Room 135 from HIS room. I answered and heard him say something about calling the police because of all the noise (I was hip to the prank). Funny thing was, the police knocked on the door while I was taking his call. I’m telling King that the police are REALLY here but I am not sure if he thinks that I am just joking back. Too funny.

A few of us went to the hot tub at about 4:30 and were joined by two gentlemen who discussed the merits of having adult prams (strollers) so they could push each other around. Way off tiki topic in my mind but Cheri and I had a great laugh. That, combined with a foot fetish dude in the tub, made the whole episode surrealistically comical.

A hand full of us watched the sun come up at about 5:15. A beautiful way to end the perfect night, and for me, brought the weekend to a close.

Thanks to all who attended and promoted the event. Special regards to Al and Shelley who put me up for a few days before the event and continue to be shining stars to many of us in Tikidom, Otto and Baby Doe, King, C’ Al, Bax, Mark Hines, Futura Girl and to the many others who made the weekend so fun.

Oh, Futura Girl, that dress on backwards story is so funny. At one time in our lives, that would be the indication that you “REALLY” had a good time the night before. One more memorable event of a fantastic weekend.

TB

On 2004-05-10 09:36, tikibob wrote:
There was an awkward moment when one chick brought in a "dance mix" CD. One TC’er took her CD and ran across the parking lot with it! She later returned and got all fussy with me and demanded I give her the name of the culprit (but your identity is safe, so don't worry).

Tikibob, that "chick" was Kari French. (You know.... the burlesque performer who couldn't show up on stage for her own performance.) I was witness to the CD conviscation myself, but will let the "culprit" reveal him/herself only if they wish to. Personally, I feel that entering someone else's room and trying to take over and change their party music was rather rude. It just wasn't very good manners for a party guest. Besides the "culprit" was just doing the bidding of those around them encouraging the protection of the current Tiki music being played.

Once the threat of the "dance party mix" was over, we all relaxed into a great party hosted by our quintessential and gracious hosts Al & Shelly.

On 2004-05-09 21:32, floratina wrote:
One very cool guy whose identity will now doubt surface soon, brought this little keyboard thing that had a tube sticking out of it. The musician blows into the tube and plays the keys and it makes this kind of harmonica sound. Futura Girl could also play this thing very well.[ Edited by: floratina on 2004-05-09 21:44 ]

Floritina, that's a melodica:

They come in either "nipple" or "mouthpiece" (blowpipe) styles. You can find'em for sale @ melodicas.com or buttonbox.com. It's often counted as a children's toy, but it can have a wonderful free-reed tone like an oversize harmonica or button accordion with extra bellows. I've been a fan of the reggae artist & melodica player Augustus Pablo since the '80s.

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2004-05-10 14:17 ]

Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.