Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Thanks to Mystery TC Member for Signage

Pages: 1 4 replies

Mahalo to the mysterious TC member that committed the 'random act of tiki' by sending me the "Bong Recreation Area" sign.

It will be added to the flotsum and jetsom in Bong's Tik Hut!

(see I told you everyone didn't hate me Baxdog!)

"I'm ashamed to be here, but not too ashamed to leave..."

Celebrate 'International Tiki Day' the second Saturday in August - hau'oli la tiki!

[ Edited by: Tiki_Bong on 2004-05-10 11:43 ]

I've been to that state park... its always a laugh as you see the sign heading south on I-94...

Brew City Bear Gear shops here in Milwaukee make shirts and what not out of Wisconsin and Milwaukee icons like bubblers, Laverne & Shirley, beer, cheese and yes, even the Bong Recreation Area... Many people have tried to steal the actual signs... now you can buy one from Brew City...

"Once designated to be a jet fighter base, Richard Bong State Recreation Area is fittingly named after Maj. Richard I. Bong, a Poplar, Wisconsin, native who was America's leading air ace during World War II. The project was abandoned three days before concrete was to be poured for a 12,500-foot runway. Local citizens had the foresight to protect this open space for future generations. In 1974 the state bought the land and it became the state's first recreation area.

A recreation area differs from a state park or forest in that it offers additional activities not traditionally found in state parks. Appropriate to its name, Bong offers an area where visitors may fly hang gliders, ultra-light aircraft, hot air balloons, and model airplanes and rockets. Bong also has spaces to train both hunting and sled dogs, train falcons, ride an ATV trail, go land sailing, horseback riding, and hunt in season. All activities are kept separate from each other through special use zones."

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-05-10 22:10 ]

D

We always get a chuckle out of that sign going up North-glad others think so,too!

Pages: 1 4 replies