Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Where can I get solar powered eyes??????

Pages: 1 9 replies

Do you know where can I get it?
I mean as shown here :
http://www.tikimon.net/solar/solar.html

Are you trying to light up the eyes in your tikis?

If that is the case, could you not hollow out the top of the tiki and place one of those inexpensive solar garden lights in the top so that it would shine through the eyes? You could use frosted acrylic to cover the eye openings from the inside.

B

My thoughts exactly littlegiles. Home Depot and similar stores sells Solar powered Landscape lighting cheep. You could easily disassemble the light and extend the wiring to fit your application. It is nothing more than a solar cell connected to 1,2 or3 batteries and straight to the light.
I believe about $50.00 buys you 6 or 8 lights, so enough for3 or 4 tikis.

I have those solar powerd lights at my present abode. They don't put out much light. I guess you could try putting a mirror behind them to reflect more of the light out the eyes. Wouldn't a lot of the light spill out of the opening in the top of the head and ruin the effect?

M

I nominate the title of this topic as one of the five best of the year. That's just a thread you have to read.

I would also like super hearing and bionic legs.

i second martiki's motion

I agree with Martin, I just had to see what this was about.
I would also like to know how to build a web-shooter... THWIP

Nice image J$. Your yearbook photo?

No, those solar powered lights don't have much output, but I think they'd have plenty to make they eyes glow. After all, you wouldn't be trying to cast light onto anything else, just light the eyes.

-Z

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-05-13 13:35 ]

You should be able to find those parts at Radio Shack for a fraction of the price.

G

Guys,

Idid this with the solar lights

I suggest using the solar lights ala home depot then go to radio shack and buy red yellow or whatever color LEDs you desire, I cant recall the voltages but I remember the light voltage was the most common LED voltage at Radio Shack. My light had two AA batteries in series I believe.

Take the light apart and clip the leads going to the LED in the light. Solder wires to these two clipped leads then run wires outa the light assembly into your tiki. Solder LEDs to the wires in parallel. Use some shrinkwrap (radio Shack) to prevent shorts .

I drilled holes and wrapped tape around the LED and the wires and crammed em in the holes.

My MOai's eyes has been lighted this way for over a year flawlessly. The LEDs are bright in the evening and by morning they are quite a bit dimmer. Ive have two LEDs run off of one light no problem. YOu can probably run more but it may run the battery dead before morning if thats a problem

Good luck

Pages: 1 9 replies