Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis Dive-In Movie: Anybody Notice?

Pages: 1 23 replies

Hey out there in Echoland: we're trying to decide if we're even going to continue the "dive-in" next year and at future Oases, but the almost total lack of comment, yay or nay, despite my own input here, is leaving me feeling it's not worth the effort? Otto wasn't even going to do it this year due to the soaring film rental costs till I stepped in with Cal Kid's video projector and my own bootleg video collection of public domain flicks. Normally when I do these road shows I bring my 16mm guy but this was too far a trip and will be just as far next year.

The question for you is: do you want to continue this aspect of the Oasis, if not, okay, I can just kick back and be Will the Chill, or if so, what do you wanna see, and how do you wanna see it? Can't promise anything, but at least Otto and the Kid and I can reach a concensus on what to do next time to improve the presentation, if we do it at all. I've already mentioned Otto has a plan for bigger screen next year, which was my own gripe. Anything else? If I hear nothing we will consider that a resounding rejection and take it into consideration when planning next year's festivities, though utlimately, as with everything else, it's Otto's party and it's up to him, so he may want to include it anyway, but at least he'll know what may entertain you best.

I think the reason you're not hearing comment is because secretly everyone loves the dive-in movie, but no one gives a damn about the movie itself -- it never works out well, it's too cold to be in the water, you can't hear a damned thing, you can't see properly, SOMEONE KEEPS BEANING YOU IN THE HEAD WITH A BEACH BALL :), and it's wonderful. No one has expectations of it being an ideal movie-viewing setting, and it's just fine. I'd be REALLY BUMMED to see the Dive-In movie go. I did, however, really miss yelling "HAWAIIAN EEEYEEE!" this year.

It is kind of cool floating around a pool in the warm desert air watching a movie, and from what I've heard, this aspect of the Oasis was much better the year prior.

Since this was my first experience with the dive-in movie, (I don't like to complaint, because I appreciate the efforts and hard-work behind all the events), but personally, I thought the screen was rather small and ill-placed, so it make it difficult to see. I had trouble listening to the audio, so I soon got bored.

Well said. I vote keep the movie. I sat close enough to hear & wasn't in the pool. My only technical complaint was that the screen was too dark to tell what was going on most of the time, but that's just part of the atmosphere anyway. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I for one enjoyed the experience of sitting under the stars in palm springs & watching Tobunga chase down hapless travellers while trying not to trip over his costume.

M

My thoughts:

The dive in movie can be great, but there's a lot working against it. People have been cooking in the sun all day and likely drinking all day as well. It's hard not to be wiped out. So what you're showing has to be engaging. Some ideas:

1. I think a feature film is too long. A full movie can kill the energy of a group. Ever put a movie on at a party? Kills it pretty quick. The beauty of a TV show is that it's only 50 minutes. Attention spans are minimal. The film this year was also so dark and murky, that it was often hard to make out what was going on.

2. Sound has to project all the way around the pool to keep people engaged. Straining to hear is not worth the effort.

3. As has been said, the screen has to bigger and higher. More like a drive in screen.

4. Hawaiian Eye worked for many reasons. One, it was shorter. Two, as the King pointed out, the beauty of Hawaiian Eye is that there's so much to take in. The plot (usually secondary) isn't always so interesting, but there's a lot to see. It's fun to check out the cars, the clothes, the sets, the bars, the drinks, the food, the music, etc. Three, sometimes there's vintage commercials as well, which are hysterical. "Mmm...These Chesterfield smokes are so smooth, I can actually feel my throat healing!" I know the cost is becoming prohibitive, but can's we just spread this out among all the tickets?

5. Like I said, short things that have camp value are great. I loved the trailers this year (even if "sci-fi" night was Friday)- I though those were gold. It's hard to find a film, especially from the 50s, that's consistently non-stop camp. Most have some stretches that will kill you cold with boredom.

6. I've always thought that a great thing to show for the dive in movie would be something like the spliced reel that they have playing behind the bar at the Conga Lounge. All those little bits of tiki and such from film and TV would be great to watch. I know a lot of them aren't strictly PolyPop, but I think it would be fun to have it- and with the sound on! (For those who haven't seen it, it's got clips from Blue Hawaii, some 5-0 stuff, the tiki Brady Bunch Episode, Scooby Doo, I think a bit of Gilligan, etc.) Kind of a greatest hits of PolyPop/Hawaiiana in mainstream movies/tv. Not sure if there would be broadcast royalties that would make this prohibitive or not.

Anyway, just my sugar daddy style two coconuts worth.

AZ,
The dive in movie is one of my favorite features at Oasis. It was, however, difficult to follow a feature length film that was hard to see and hard to hear. The episodes of Hawaiian Eye were short enough for our attention spans. They were campy fun and easy to follow and loaded with Tiki/Hawaiian imagery. I think shorts are the way to go, Beachbum Berrys "The Secret of Easter Island" and the Buggs and Daffy Island cartoons would be perfect. The first time they showed a Hawaiian Eye, they showed a movie trailer in a comercial slot. Vincent Price shook a woman so hard her head came off and rolled down the stairs. The crowd exploded, it was hilarious. That was in June, it was warmer and everyone was in the pool. I like the dive in movie and I hope to see it continue.
Mahalo,
Al

Mahalo! Everyone pretty much echoed my own subjective thoughts. Watching "Hawaiian Eye" (one of my favorite shows, never miss it on Goodlife every Tues nite) was one of the highlights when I attended Oasis 2,and I was bummed when Otto said this part of the entertainment might be discontinued due to Warner Brother's unreasonable rental demands. "From Hell It Came" was not only free, since it is one of those lost bastard children of cult cinema, it is only a 70 minute flick (though it may SEEM much longer). But still, I agree, maybe just a series of shorts would work better, like we did at "Tikisploitation" at the Parkway. (Like forty minutes of B movie trailers, which are always better than the featues anyway.) I have a bunch of vintage Polynesian-themed shorts on DVD (which would look great, too) we might use next year, and so your thoughts have been duly noted.

Anyway, just the feedback so far has been enlightening and useful, even though it basically just confirmed what I already suspected. Anything else, don't hesitate - we're all in this together and want to make it a mutually enjoyable experience for all.

[ Edited by: AquaZombie on 2004-05-14 12:57 ]

M
mig posted on Fri, May 14, 2004 1:29 PM

I think the dive-in movie serves a definite purpose, although what that purpose is, might be a little bit different than what it might seem at first.

Look at what leads up to the movie: a couple days of mayhem, sun, and tiki drinks. Bands have been playing and whipping everybody into a frenzy. Yet... it doesn't seem to be quite the right time to have everybody disperse and hit room parties.

The dive-in movie helps to bridge this gap. It gives people something to do for a bit; a cool-down after the bands. It lets the room-party-throwers sneak back to their rooms and start preparations before the crowds hit. A lot of people sit around and socialize. Some actually want to watch the movie. Some just want to splash around.

Some people do watch the movie with keen interest. For others, it's the background noise that is going on while they continue to socialize. This should not be discounted at all-- it is quite a crucial part of the whole thing.

The fact that everybody approaches the movie differently (watching vs. not, pool vs. chairs, talking vs. watching, watching whole thing vs. leaving early)-- this is not a weakness of the movie, but it's strength. It ensures that everybody there is reasonably happy.

Parents with small kids can start to wind down, rather than be part of a big mob of people suddenly looking for a party.

Anyway, I'm starting to be redundant, but you know what I mean.

mig

I love the dive-in movie. Except that the screen was so low that TikiBot and that other jackass he was on the floating barge of a pool toy with were always blocking my goddam view.

[ Edited by: Scrimshaw on 2004-05-14 14:06 ]

D

This being my first Oasis, I don't have any other reference to compare it to, but I was REALLY looking forward to the Dive-In Movie, the size of the screen and where it was located made it really hard for me to watch, that mixed with the several Zombies I had flowing thru my veins made it really hard to stay focused on the movie. I do hope the movie stays apart of the Tiki Oasis lineup.

A larger screen and speakers at various points around the pool* would help greatly. Don't give up on the Dive in. I think it's a great idea and like the controversial burlesque acts, makes a nice break from the Poly Pop musical sets ( please no replies regarding my burlesque acts comment)

• I think I've seen a set of wirless speakers that could be hooked up to an amp - we've got a year to look into it.
    I agree with Martiki that a shorter film or comp tape would keep viewers' attention.
    I'd love to put together a "Conga Lounge" style comp-tape for you. I'm actually working on a new one that includes Tiki bar clips from "Bachelor in Paradise","UHF", the tiki bar fight from "Girl Happy", scenes from "Papa Nui" etc
C

Just so you know...this was THE primary topic that Otto, Baby Doe and I have communicated on, thus far. A chance was taken on trying something with a different format, etc. We will steer back-toward our original course for #5.

Further, CTR is planning to use the Dive-In Movie concept throughout the year, for locals to enjoy as well. Executed properly, we believe it holds tremenduous potential for The REEF as well as on the Public-Relations front, domestically and internationally.

Mahalo!

Get a proper screen that is at least 10 feet wide and put it on TOP of the roof over the REEF patio area. This way it is high enough where no ones view will be blocked and can easily be seen from across the pool. The screen will need to be tilted forward (leaning toward the audience) for maximum viewing pleasure.

Hopefully a proper screen can be fit into the hotel budget and kept onsite for future use.

How about a couple of TV sets mounted on the Walls in the REEF for additional entertainment?

M

No TVs in the Reef!

No TVs in Tiki Bars- ever!

No wire hangers!

yikes....what was I thinking???

S

Save the Dive-in Movie! It's just fun! Try something different each year, but don't scrap it.

Casey - if the Tropics had a built-in set up for poolside screenings we could just slide into when we take over, that would be ideal, then we could just concentrate on coming up with suitable and affordable programs. I also agree - as someone who does PR and programming for a living - that doing a dive-in year round would be a unique selling point for your place. If you need advice on what you can show without paying for it, shoot me an email. It would also be great to show stuff like Elvis movies, for instance, but those might get pricey. Still, for special ocassions, the few hundred bucks for studio permission - and some studios, like Sony, are easier to deal with than others - might prove cost effective, it depends on your overhead for any given event, and what you're trying to achieve.

BTW, The Reef is terrific. Great decor and good drinks. Personally I love the Conga Lounge's concept of showing compilation tapes of various "tiki scenes" from movie and tv shows behind the bar, and they would make great background noise for the pool parties, too.

Also, for next time - more B movie trivia with prizes and the Tiki Goddess "Thrillville" style before the Oasis dive-in, or no, or whatever, you can take it or leave it?

B

We will invest in a large screen for next year so at least that will be solved! Thanks to Will the Thrill and Monica the Tiki Goddess for hosting the movie this year! It will be great to have them back next year!

Yes please NO tv's in the Reef bar! :)

XOXO Baby Doe

AquaZombie-

Great information! I am going to ask our P.R. person to email you (that's Judy).

Mahalo!

One thing has not been mentioned in the comparison of this year's dive-in and last year's. Last year Atomic Cocktail (AKA Charles) did his impression of Sven doing a slide show. It was hysterically funny and would be almost impossible to repeat. Following that performance with an episode of Hawaiian Eye (with the glow in the dark underwater mask as the scary part) was very entertaining.

Personally, I like the dive-in and would sorely miss it if it was gone.

Tikibot and jackass were blocking my view too. Scrimshaw, the barge is on our garage. I got the flu from the pool. I too like yelling hawaiian eeeeeyyyyyyyyyyyyeee!
keep the movie!

Ok, fate conspired against me and I didn't get to Tiki Oasis this year (so sad!) but I loved, loved, loved the Dive-In movie last year. I put on my wahini-bikini and suffered through 90% of the film in true style IN THE POOL (10% jammed into the hot tub with many new , "close" friends). Don't let it go! I promise to stay the WHOLE movie in the pool next year if you promise to keep the Dive-in movie alive.

Keep the drive in movie. Kill those with floating barges.

The Dive-In movie was initially Kevin Kidney's concept, fuelled by his love for 50s/60s Poly Pop TV shows like Hawaiian Eye and Adventures in paradise. He has amassed an amazing collection of 16 mm prints from those shows and other random Hawaiian shorts that he still shows at Tiki Taix.

His involvment was voluntary and for free, but he regretfully had to ask for a collection when he found out that Warner Brothers asks for a licence fee when screening any of their old TV stuff publicly.
This, plus the shuffeling of the screening schedule, combined with the fact that Spring Break-like drunks splashed water on his fragile 16 mm prints made it less fun for him to get involved, which I totally understand.

To me, a slick video screen does not compare to the clanky quality of an old film projector, and moves the whole idea closer to the generic "let's just party and get drunk" type event. But that is just my personal purist aesthetic, I understand that it might not be practical.
As Baby Doe said, this event is based on a lot of voluntary involvement, which is always appreciated in whatever form, and should not be taken for granted or demanded as such.

Pages: 1 23 replies