Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Home Depot, Huntington beach, CA (other)

Pages: 1 2 3 102 replies

Name:Home Depot
Type:other
Street:Warner
City:Huntington beach
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Whooda thunk that Home Depot would be hockin' cool TIKI wall mounted type things? But it's true, and they're neato. And they're 40 bucks. I forgot who makes 'em...too many zombies, spoze. I'm sure other H.D.'s sell 'em too, but I only saw 'em here. I'da bought one but it was right before Tiki Oasis and had to save my bargaining chips for that. Anyhoo, go buy one.

K
Kono posted on Sat, May 15, 2004 9:34 PM

What department are they in? What do they look like?

They in da BBQ dept. here in San Diego HD. Just gettin' ready to go down & pick me up one now.

K
Kono posted on Sun, May 16, 2004 5:10 PM

Well, there weren't any at my Home Depot. What do they look like? Ku? Are they made of wood? How big?

I guess this should be moved to Collecting Tiki.

I located them in the Laguna Niguel store today where they have the tiki torches stacked near the inside plant dept. They're wood and about 30" x 6" x 2". They weigh about 10 lbs. The tag sez "American tiki designs", Hawaiian wall art and are made in china.(?)(?) anyway I think there were about 4 designs.

K

Not in my Home Depot...

Can someone post a pic??

Could this be them?

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2004-05-18 11:54 ]

P

You're all lucky the site's flash and hence you can't link into it. Otherwise, I'd be shouting [color=green]LUCK OF THE IRISH TO YA![/color] Like a crazed leprachaun. :P (See the "Good luck tiki" to see what I mean...)

Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind you. :D

boo, TC's bbcode doesn't let me set the font color to emerald green... :cry:

[ Edited by: Philot on 2004-05-18 14:49 ]

E

I've got a Home Depot a couple miles from me and headed there for another project right now. I'll check them out. I put together this handy dandy little visual aid in case I get that "what's-a-tiki?" look. If they don't have them, maybe I'll leave my print out behind and they can order them. Use it too, if you'd like.

I'm not sure if you do or don't like the Lucky tiki based on that last post, but I do and I'm hoping to find him! Not even Irish...

I got the Good Surf Tiki. There were only three left at my local Home Depot & they were all alike (which helped expedite the decision making process). For some reason I was expecting something like a party decoration, but these are really substantial & well crafted. Well worth the 40 bucks I'd say.

K

Hmmm....I emailed the company and was told "We are working on nationwide distribution but this won't happen for some time." They said they'd tell me how to order one and the price. I'll post the response when I get it.

D

none here in the seattle area. not sure im so thrilled about the chinese character carved into the forehead... seems sorta forced feng shui

let tiki be tiki

K
Kono posted on Tue, May 18, 2004 6:50 PM

On 2004-05-18 18:28, Juno wrote:
Hmmm....I emailed the company and was told "We are working on nationwide distribution but this won't happen for some time." They said they'd tell me how to order one and the price. I'll post the response when I get it.

I was wondering if this was a California only type thing. Sounds like it is.

E

Ok, i was on this project for over an hour at our local Home Depot (Olympia, WA). They don't carry the tikis up here :( which wasn't that surprising.

However, I had excellent customer service (about 4 different people helped me) and this one super helpful gal at the Special Services desk made some phone calls and found out some info.

I was able to order it through one of the distributors, The Plant Stand, out of Costa Mesa. They faxed a form to the Home Depot which I then filled out and then the HD faxed it back to them.

It's arriving Fed-Ex in about 3 days. It cost MORE to get it through the distributor (42.99 instead of 37.99) and shipping was $7.00 plus 7.5% tax. When the fax finally appeared, a mysterious $3.12 had been tacked on to the price (she had guessed on the weight and shipping price so I'm figuring it was added for that).

There may be other places that carry it, but this is the route I went with. Good luck if you want it, and thanks to TikiTortured for the tip!

The Plant Stand
714/966-0797

p.s. I did get the Good Luck Tiki because I am pretty lucky and want to continue to enhance my good luck and create good luck for all those who come in contact with my tiki!

[ Edited by: exoticat on 2004-05-18 19:07 ]

T

I got an email earlier also. Said they are only in Home Depots in CA and NV at the moment. May be doing an online thing in a few weeks though.

I am sorry Wes (House of TIKI) and Crazy ALL
But, I just bought all 4 of those bad boys yesterday.
We already have plans to repaint our front doors and hang the "WELCOME" TIKI and the "HEATH AND HAPPINESS" TIKI on there for all the world to see!!!!!
They all have the same eyes, nose, and mouth.
The chinese writing and head dress changes on each one and what they are holding in their hands also.
And if the Chinese writing bothers you, just think of it as carving marks and get over it.
And what if it works?
Gosh. I don't want the chance to be,
Lucky
or have big Waves
or Health and Happiness
or Welcome friends into my house
Any way
They all have a little nail/screw indention on the back, just pound hang and your Tikified.
And again to all those who work their ass off in this o-so-tough industry "I AM SORRY"
To good of a deal to pass up!!

PS. The buyer at the Plant Stand said they will be in all HD'S soon. And buy them quick.
There were 2 pallets 1/2 gone and I saw 5 people with them in their baskets.
"OHSHIT, there is TIKI everywhere"

Have no brakes
Cannot stop
Mahalo to you
Baxdog
What the hell is wrong with everyone

[ Edited by: thebaxdog on 2004-05-19 07:29 ]

HD equals tiki crap.

P

On 2004-05-18 16:10, Exoticat wrote:
I'm not sure if you do or don't like the Lucky tiki based on that last post, but I do and I'm hoping to find him! Not even Irish...

Actually, I'm not sure either. I'll have to wait and see what they look like when/if they show up in HD on the east coast. I just found that combination of symbols from different cultures amusingly incongruous. But they talk about doing that intentionally on their website, so they knew what they were doing. Then again, if one is buying one's religious icons at Home Despot, it's pretty clear where one stands on the matter. :D

[ Edited by: Philot on 2004-05-19 08:29 ]

I saw TurboGod's link.
I saw Exoticat's picture.
I read Bax's story.
I read JungleTrader's remark.
Curiosity got the best of me.
3 miles to Home Depot.
They look way better in person than in the picture. Way better.
They're cool. Way cool.
I usually steer clear of "commercially available" carvings, but these were too cool to pass up. (I bought only the "Welcome" tiki).
Heavy, carved, stained, ready-to-hang for only $37.99.

I liked it. I bought it. I'm happy.

Enter The SoCal Hoity Toity Schedule

[ Edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2004-05-19 13:15 ]

S

Does anyone else think they look like they are badly in need of a restroom?

They are nice looking, especially for the price. It's just that something inside me, and I don't know what it is, doesn't like the fact that Home Despot is selling them.

On 2004-05-19 13:28, spy-tiki wrote:

spy-tiki, that's the best way to spot a tiki! You know you've got one when you see that constipated look.

Home Depot is like the muscle man at the beach that kicks sand in the face of the little skinny guy. They don't give a damn about local mom and pop stores, or culture. I could tell you a story about a local nursery man who went belly up because of them.
Not only that but have you seen there ads? It shows all these orange shirts helping cutomers in the garden dept. What a lie. Go there and you won't find a soul to help you for 30 minutes. I had to climb up some racks, and cut steel straps to get 3 lattices while balancing precariously on a cart. Yes I shop there but only if I can't find what I need elsewhere. They move me.

Wao Nahele Kalepa Kumula'au Hale

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader on 2004-05-20 08:30 ]

On 2004-05-19 13:28, spy-tiki wrote:

Have you seen the Drew Brophy Tiki masks? Shellhead mostly!

I have them in my bathroom and I think they are very inspirational.

On 2004-05-19 14:35, Tiki_Bong wrote:
They are nice looking, especially for the price. It's just that something inside me, and I don't know what it is, doesn't like the fact that Home Despot is selling them.

Bong, look at it this way, your helping the Chinese to exploit the slave labor of political prisoners who are forced to work 14 hours a day for a bowl of cold rice and a grass mat on a concrete floor. This is the real world. Get with the program!

OH PLEASE, tell me where this is, so I can send my children.

Why the flippen hell does every fricken post have to go all serious or political?

Can't we just laugh about some shit we found at Home Depot.

No, it's obviously the end of western civilation!
Run don't walk to the nearest exit and jump out the window.

Home Depot leads to Heroin

Did I mention...

I liked it. I bought it. I'm happy.

T

On 2004-05-21 00:21, Shipwreckjoey wrote:

On 2004-05-19 14:35, Tiki_Bong wrote:

Bong, look at it this way, your helping the Chinese to exploit the slave labor of political prisoners who are forced to work 14 hours a day for a bowl of cold rice and a grass mat on a concrete floor. This is the real world. Get with the program!

Well then they must be happy if they are carving a Happiness Tiki.
TURBOgod agrees w/ Baxdog!

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2004-05-21 09:37 ]

E

ha ha this thread is funny! I'm still waiting on my tiki ... supposed to be here via Fed-Ex today...guess I have about 3 more hours until I find out if it's arriving today or not. Fed Ex updated their web on the order once, then nothing. Pretty hard to track it if they don't update it... This will be my first large, carved wooden tiki so I'm actually kind of excited to see him!

Well Baxdog, you're obviously not the skinny little guy on the beach. As I recall you were the big guy with large feet and belly? Ya' know looked like a King? Meet ya' at the beach? HAHA!

K

They said they'd tell me how to order one and the price. I'll post the response when I get it.

The wankers never got back to me. Guess I'll have to write this one off.

:tiki:

"As I recall you were the big guy with large feet and belly? Ya' know looked like a King?"
JT, you have mistaken me for someone else?
I don't have big feet
And why bother with a six pack
When you can carry the whole keg?

I have been in 4 other HD's since my purchase.
(Don't bug me, I build houses for a living.)
And not one had "THE TIKIS"
But the one in El Toro had some
Chinese children for sale?

M

I checked for these at the Encinitas Home Depot... No luck so far. I DO love that look you get when you ask about them though;

"Yeah, hi.. I was told you might carry some carved Tikis that you hang on the wall?".

(Blank stare)

"Tiki's... um, a Hawaiian carving of a god... um, like a totem pole - kinda".

(Blank stare as they lead you to the Tiki torches)

"You're getting the idea - but it's not a torch... It's kind of a cartoonish carving of a face & body... never mind".

After confusing the third employee, I left empty handed. Shoulda' printed out the page first, I thought.

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-05-22 13:09 ]

If anybody that has purchased these can get the sku number or upc number off of there receipt, this will help other folks ask for the product at their store. Trust me, with this upc/sku # the HD person can get something store to store transfered, but the employee has to want to help you. Good luck y'all.

They are cataloged as "Hawaiian Wall Art". Distributed by "The Plant Stand"(?). SKU# is 465332. I bought mine at the El Cajon Home Depot in east S.D. County. Price is $37.95. The ph# is 619-441-1400 (if you care to try & weedle more information out of them). The "customer service" rep I talked to was about as friendly as a wounded bear & treated me like I was a telemarketer interrupting his dinner.

M

Thanks for the info Shipwreck. Looks like I'll be making a trip down your way next week.

The Home Depot here in Newbury Park/Thousand Oaks had 8 (4 each of 2 styles) Tikis as of last Saturday. Maybe these will show up soon on ebay????? If someone wants one bad enough, PM me and I will pick it up for you.....u pay for shipping..... or trade me something groovy ........O.K?

In the LA area, the Home Depot has about a dozen remaining.

Regarding the Chinese labor issue, I recall a similar conversation regarding Balinese made tikis. For me, the bottom line is the US needs to even the trade imbalance. In the interim, I am not going to change the world by not buying the Chinese made tiki or any other low cost manufactured item, which also is probably made in China. So I bought one.

In the LA area, the Home Depot in Hawthorne (405/Rosecrans) has about a dozen remaining.

Regarding the Chinese labor issue, I recall a similar conversation regarding Balinese made tikis.

For me, the bottom line is the US needs to even the trade imbalance. In the interim, I am not going to change the world by not buying the Chinese made tiki or any other low cost manufactured item, which also is probably made in China.

So I bought one - with the pineapple -- I was told it is the symbol of hospitality.

[ Edited by: christiki295 on 2004-05-29 14:45 ]

On 2004-05-29 14:44, christiki295 wrote:
Regarding the Chinese labor issue, I recall a similar conversation regarding Balinese made tikis.

For me, the bottom line is the US needs to even the trade imbalance. In the interim, I am not going to change the world by not buying the Chinese made tiki or any other low cost manufactured item, which also is probably made in China.

I agree. When I made the remark about the "Chinese slave labor" toiling away under inhuman conditions in the Peoples Tiki Gulag & Re-education Center, I was just taking the resentment by some of buying from huge corporate conglomerates like Home Depot to the next level (just my twisted sense of humor). As far as where things are made by who and how, is not always as cut & dried as you'd like to think. For instance, I have a pair of Converse All-Stars that have "made in the USA" printed on them. In actuality the shoes are fabricated at a maquiladora in Reynosa, Mexico (just across the Texas border). Maybe the "tag" was made in the USA! Now I gotta go check into the origins of those Safeway tiki cornholders.

P.S. - Although I may occasionaly stray to Home Depot or Big Lots to fulfill my tiki needs, I will continue to support the many artists, craftsmen & independent busnesses that contribute so much to enhance our lives (and the mana is much better at Bamboo Ben's than Home Depot...fer sure)!

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2004-05-29 16:42 ]

M

Just checked the HD in Hawthorne CA and they are still expecting their shipment to arrive in the next 2 weeks, sounds like they have not all been shipped.

E

I still don't have mine. The fax sent through the Home Depot apparently never went through. After some phone calls I straightened things out and decided to order two instead of one.

However, the timing of the arrival is now off and I'm going to have them arrive sometime in June instead. What a long wait.

I'm going to use them as a frame around the basement window so I hope it works out visually. Won't really know until I hold them up and see if I like how they look...

On 2004-05-20 08:28, Jungle Trader wrote:
Home Depot . . . don't give a damn about local mom and pop stores, or culture. I could tell you a story about a local nursery man who went belly up because of them.. . . . Go there and you won't find a soul to help you for 30 minutes.

I used to go to Hollywood Nursery where the service was excellent and the 2 guys remembered me & my garden and then they closed. Coincidentally, a HD had opened 2 miles away, although there was an overlap of atleast a year.

And I have yet to find anyone helpful there.

JT: Maybe you need a PR person to get you in the next Sunset - tropical edition.

Just picked up the last one at the Laguna Niguel Store over the Memorial weekend. Huntington Beach, Laguna Niguel and Las Vegas were the only stores to receive stock.

I have seen the TIKI at HD in Mission Viejo and Aliso...

not bad, they look pretty good..
:tiki:

[ Edited by: Tonga King on 2004-06-04 10:25 ]

N

you can order them online now thru their website, if anybody is still looking for them.

T
TNTiki posted on Mon, Jun 7, 2004 8:49 PM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:35 ]

N

Im sorry it is on this site:
http://www.americantikidesigns.com/

Pages: 1 2 3 102 replies