Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Home Depot, Huntington beach, CA (other)

Pages: 1 2 3 102 replies

E

I FINALLY got mine today. I really like them and I'm currently working on backlighting them in green then spotlighting them from above in orange-red (I'm going to have to handpaint the bulbs). I think the whole idea/vision I had about framing them around the window is going to work, so I'm excited about that! May the Tiki Gods smile upon me as I finish this project. I handcut some bamboo without losing a finger so that's a good sign. :)

M

Home Depot in Hawthorne CA has about 100 in stock right now!

My kids gave me another Home Depot tiki for father's day. It's the Good Luck Tiki. Do ya think they're tryin' to tell me something?

M

Encinitas... Surf town, right?!
We're mentioned in a Beach Boys song, right?!

I can walk along the 101 from Leucadia to downtown Encinitas and spot at least a dozen Tiki carvings along the way: In front of stores, homes, on the roofs of friggin' coffee shops...

So, WHY THE HELL won't the Home Depot here carry these? Oh well... Guess I'll buy a Bosko original and teach HD a little lesson.

Just had a few emails with the guys who are selling these to Depot and I asked about wholesale.....well the wholesale is going to be in units of 1000 only and they are now up to 6 different desgins with more to come....at a minimum order of 1000 units it looks like depot is the only place they will be at.

A
Alldo posted on Fri, Jul 16, 2004 1:23 AM

I like them. I have all four styles.

are they still selling tiki carvings at home depot?, anything in the L.A. area?

H

I have been to 3 different ones in S.F.Valley and could not find any, I asked the people who work there, they had no idea what I was talking about. Hope this helps.

Yea ive been askin and lookin at my home depo,s but no luck and they had said they didnt know if they were getting any either monrovia covina area .

2 different folks at work mentioned the tikis decorations at home depot, but I forgot to ask which one ....I am such the bonehead!!.

S

On 2004-06-08 01:02, net-tiki wrote:
Im sorry it is on this site:
http://www.americantikidesigns.com/

You can order directly from the site above.

S
M

You beat me to it Suzy.

The depot in Hawthorne (on Rosecrans) had them about two weeks ago, don't know if they still have 'em

Yup last time I went through the Hawthorne Home Depot they were still there.

The Home Depot in Ladera on LaCienega & Slauson did not have any.

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 17:13 ]

Will call hawthorne tonite, and asked for prices from ATD!, thanks.TWT

If you click on the link above you will see another link for the maker of the tiki's, you can order the tiki's directly from the company that makes them.

I used two of them around one of the basement windows along with some bamboo. Moving art is in the frame so you can sit at the bar and dream (or stare at your reflection...your choice). :wink:

H

Exoticat, you have one of the best tiki bars I have seen so far. Real nice.

Really, that is an awesome bar. I've just about gone blind squinting at my screen trying to pick out all the little details. Is that a window? I thought it was a TV. Where I live we don't have too many basements. Out here we call 'em Bomb Shelters (and they ain't got no windows)

I got mine thursday and they are sweet!. Good quality wood and good work, for$37.50!!

K

Still no sign of these in TX, and you can't buy them from the web site yet. It's pissing me off!

E

Thanks for the nice words!

Yes, it's a window. I covered it up with a piece of white acrylic which creates a nice clean background. Then in front of that is a piece of art that I actually found at the mall. It has a subtle movement to it (there's little tiki huts in it) so it makes you feel like you're in the tropics when you look at it. I still need to put matting on the cement wall (ugghhhhhhhh).

The "detailed" comment cracked me up. I'm about as detailed as they come. :wink:. I have a tiki art gallery down there too featuring work by people I either know or have met. Each piece of art has an artcard with a photo of the artist on it.

I think this is what you were squinting to see in the mirror...

I met Shag last December so gave him an art card, but I need to get a real quote from him instead of the one I made up... ha ha.

I'm continuing to work on the room and this fall will be painting a rather large scale mural above the stairs. I plan to do an underwater scene with a mermaid, tikis and more. I'm sure it'll end up being way too detailed.

H

Is that real fern on top of the room? Real nice job decorating again, you rock, Exoticat.

E

ha...no. They would be quite brown and dead if real. I will try and take another pic later (after I modify something). I have more faux foliage for you to feast your eyes upon.

E

This is what it looked like before I started to work on it. Ugly rubbermaids with Tiki Labels... a real eyesore. The menu board I picked up on eBay and changed the black frame it came with to a bamboo one. I also custom designed a new sign for the top of it. The old sign can be seen hanging at an angle waiting to be removed.

Then I did a rough sketch of some ideas in April. I was going to do a mural on black velvet with a blacklight hidden above it under the HUTIKIHI sign. Scrapped that idea when I realized I had more art than I did wall space. The mural is now going to be above the stairs and completely different and waaaay bigger. I didn't even know that big Red Tiki existed when I did that sketch. Talk about a case of creative visualization...I found it about 2 weeks later. I still created the glass blown topped electric tiki torches, I just put them on both sides of the art gallery wall (which you can't see).

This is what it looks like tonight with that "adjustment" that I mentioned. :wink: It's shot with the flash on so you can't catch the mood lighting, but you can see all the tropicals at the bottom. They are underlit with green lighting (which doesn't show up).

Ok,

Bong, you can now be authentically grumpy. The Home Depot in Brea now has a new tiki in the series. "The Good Wine Tiki"

Although I have a feeling that WeirdUncleTiki will want to get one.

They also had a new shipment of the four previously posted tiki wall carvings:

Sabu

DZ

On 2004-11-05 16:51, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

They also had a new shipment of the four previously posted tiki wall carvings:

I swear the one on the far left is wearing a Santa Claus hat!

L

hmmmm.
Pigeontoed tikis with
Santa clause hats.
four leaf clovers.
Chinese characters on the forehead.
Fake island traditions.
ahhh, yes. That is a tiki.
I'll take a dozen.

T

These are some odd tikis alright.

It looks like some vendor just wanted to make a quick buck of some tiki-inspired crap.

Now what kind of person would do that?

It looks like some vendor just wanted to make a quick buck of some tiki-inspired crap.

Now what kind of person would do that?

For the life of me, I can't remember that place that used to be in Ventura. Did that guy really screw over everyone and move to Hawaii??

On 2004-11-05 20:56, Tiki_Bong wrote:
These are some odd tikis alright.

I don't know about you...but when I buy crap I prefer it to be tiki-inspired. Otherwise it's just the same old crap.

For the money, I'd buy one and stuff it somewhere.

S

Doctor Z,

That's because it's the Christmas Tiki. Saint Nictiki!

I had time to waste, here's what they say about the "Christmas Tiki"

The Christmas Tiki is the perfect compliment to your holiday decorations!

This tiki features none other than Ol' St. Nick himself, complete with his signature hat. Adorning his crown are Holly leaves and berries, which have long been a symbol of winter decoration dating back to the Celtic peoples of Northern Europe, who decorated their homes with it during the time of winter solstice, or Yule. In his hands he holds a healthy Poinsettia plant, a Yuletide favorite which dates back to the 1820's. This very unique Tiki also features a bracket that will hold an actual live Poinsettia plant, brightening up any room.

May this Tiki bring much joy and good cheer to your holiday season!

Now why is it that this disgusts me, yet I want one so badly? Must be because they're not available up here.

[ Edited by: Tikiwahine on 2004-11-08 14:36 ]

Z

On 2004-11-08 14:34, Tikiwahine wrote:

a symbol of winter decoration dating back to the Celtic peoples of Northern Europe

:lol:
Norhtern European Celtic people, histoically famous for their love of tiki, and feverent wish for tropical weather. Less well known is their history of luaus at Stonehenge while wearing "aloha cloaks."

This "Santa" tiki is so wrong, it's right.

S

Just got back from Home Depot in Marina Del Rey... couldn't resist to go have a peak at those funktified tikis; but they didn't have them.

Picked up the makings for my tiki bar using the specs in PAD; but the cuts are a little off. It's coming together rather rickety; but I had to give it a go. May be down to see you soon, Bamboo Ben!

I got suckered bby the Good Surf Tiki...

DZ

I know it's as cheesy as hell, but there's something about the Christmas Tiki that makes me really want one! Maybe it's the blatant contradiction between tiki/tropical & Santa/snow; maybe it's the fact that it's a special tiki I'll only have out during the holidays; or maybe it's simply that it's the only one without Oriental writing on its forehead and it just bugs me less than the others! (Anybody know what that writing says?) I dunno, but I decided I MUST have one and have scouted around to most of the Home Depots in my area to no avail. I've found the other tikis from the same mfg., but not the Christmas one. Any Hoity-Toities know where they've got this one?

The Home Depot in Santa Ana, CA has some of the Christmas tikis. It's at 3500 MacArthur Blvd. just east of Harbor Blvd.

On 2004-11-29 18:53, Doctor Z wrote:
maybe it's simply that it's the only one without Oriental writing on its forehead and it just bugs me less than the others! (Anybody know what that writing says?)

Crud, I didn't notice that - Now I'm gonna be fixated on that script wondering...

I spoke to the American Tiki Designs today and they will have the Christmas Tiki in the Home Depots this weekend.

They also said to ask for the general manager at Home Depot and ask for the tikis to be brought in ( East Coast etc. ) Mention that you are going to Lowes or another chain and you should get their attention.

Hi, I'm new, but wanted to say that I saw these at HD in Escondido, Ca last night! They are by the Christmas trees, out in the parking lot. They only had Christmas ones out there, but they had TONS of them. Looks like not a one has sold.. but I definitely NEED one of these tikis.

SS

I saw a ton of these tikis today at the Monrovia/Duarte Home Depot, on Mountain. They are in a big end-cap box near the insecticides.

Is this only in West coast Home Depots? I have never seen anything like this at our several Chicago suburban locations.:evil:

Pages: 1 2 3 102 replies