SES posted on Thu, May 20, 2004 3:18 AM

On 2004-05-20 00:17, Selector Lopaka wrote:
Rolling Stones!

Yup! They liked him too...
:wink:
http://www.timeisonourside.com/STSoul.html

T

On 2004-05-19 19:43, Stratiki wrote:
Welllll...Silly argument, but, Jab I believe the quote you are referring to was by John Lennon and he said ( upon being asked his reaction to Elvis' death), "Elvis died when he went in the army." Perfect, cynical Lennon, right on, loved the guy. Me. I'm off to Strat Land...

Actually I never heard that quote, but I don't really pay attention to what Lennon said anyhow. I liked them better in the early 60s when everything they said in interviews was funny!

Klas - How could I leave out the Girl Groups?! Some of those songs by the Crystals, Ronnettes, and Shangri-la's send shivers down my spine. They were the important link between Doo Wop and the Motown Sound. And the songwriting was amazing.

S

Funny how links in music occur. I recently worked a Snoop Dog show up here in Kanada and was struck by the very connection you speak of. His horn section and drummer and keys etc, in other words a real band were all over Motown and brought a cool vibe to his otherwise pointless stoned shenanigans. It sounded like New Motown. Mixing genres like that can be quite interesting, thus the link to those Girl Groups of the 60's and whoever wrote produced and arranged and played them.

don't fergit "beatles" was a play off of "buddy holly and the crickets" and buddy's influences were C&W and R&B, which created a mix of "hillybilly" and "black" music.

ah, the seven degrees of kevin bacon.

Maybe there's something wrong with me, but I never liked Elvis. I used to like the Beatles, but the fact that Paul McCartney just wont go away is curing me of that. Buddy's damn annoying, what with his facelift and comeback tours and whatnot.

Yea, Buddy at the ACC was a waste of time...someones anyway. But I disagree about the lift.

I always thought the Beatles were way overrated as a group and I just thought of them as a bunch of damn hippies. That is, of course until I bought the Carl Perkins DVD that was on HBO back in the eighties where Harrison and Ringo are there jamming with him. George Harrison is a huge legend at that point and he's just staring at Carl Perkins like he's some kinda god. That was so rad. Harrison is a hell of a guitar player himself but Perkins is untouchable in his own style. Mcartney put out a rockabilly record like six years ago. The Beatles were built on rockabilly.

Anyway, I still think as a band they are a bunch of damn hippies that sing flower child non-sense (except for that song "While my Slowly Guitar Weeps", that one's pretty cool).

So after all that, are you kidding?
Elvis built the house, the Beatles just played there for awhile.

The King.

:tiki:

Elvis. Music you can sing with.....

THE BOMBORAS! Head Shrinkin' Fun!

link wray and dick dale...

Music started with either Black Flag or Mission of Burma.

Trader Woody

M

BEATLES!

Some of you already mention them; So now let's take it to the next step... Beatles or the Stones?

P.S. You already know my answer.

"Never trust anyone who doesn't like the Beatles" is an adage I tried to live my life by...
But f*ck me...Elvis Is pretty damn cool too. Ain't he?

I've always lived by "never trust a baby boomer"....

Matt

On 2004-05-28 01:41, Slacks Ferret wrote:
"Never trust anyone who doesn't like the Beatles" is an adage I tried to live my life by...
But f*ck me...Elvis Is pretty damn cool too. Ain't he?

M

Like Trader Vic once said, "Anybody that doesn't like The Beatles is a dirty stinker".

Or something like that.

On 2004-05-28 13:17, MachTiki wrote:
Like Trader Vic once said, "Anybody that doesn't like The Beatles is a dirty stinker".

The Beatles went around picking up classic yet unused tunes the way early explorers would discover plants and animals unknown to Europeans. The right band at the right time. Elvis was more of a force of nature - couldn't write a note himself but hotwired the world to a more 'pelvic' way of thinking. Both were essential to the way music was shaped forever for good or ill.

Incidentally, my father-in-law went to school with Paul McCartney and George Harrison. He's got a great old photo of all the kids lined up, and you can pick out Paul & George a mile off.

Trader Woody

scan and post! scan and post!

my favourite quote from "a hard day's night":"he's very clean..."

On 2004-05-28 13:35, Johnny Dollar wrote:
scan and post! scan and post!

Unfortunately it's about 3 foot long and I don't have a scanner. I'm sure the close-ups have been used a million times, though. (?) Anyway, I'll try to get someone to scan bit's of it as it's pretty funny. My Mother-in-law was a regular at the Cavern and saw the Beatles loads of times. She wishes she'd brought a camera along!

On my side of the family, my mum invited her sisters down to London back in the 60's and were walking through Picadilly Circus when a mini (very small car) stopped at the traffic lights. The Beatles were inside. No doubt the requisite screams & fainting fits soon followed.

Trader Woody

T

kind of relevant to the thread. Not a bad find for $50.

Tacky Techie Tiki Bar
It just may be that the only purpose to your life is to serve as a warning to others.

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2004-07-13 02:29 ]

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2004-07-13 02:30 ]

My mum has the autographs of all five Beatles together on one sheet but she doesn't know where they are! Anyway acoupla months ago they had agreatest album of all time thing going on the BBC and it came to be between Sgt Peppers and Pet sounds. I'm English yet I go with the BB's.

F

If I could only listen to one or the other – I'd go Beatles. But, the Revillos (Rezillos) are (were) great! You Cali folks are lucky, I heard they may re-form and do a few shows over that way. Don't miss'em!

Elvis was the first wigger, and I mean that in the best possible way. He altered the music scene, almost single handedly, taking it from a derivative sub-genre to music for all races. Kinda like a reverse Jackie Robinson.

The Beatles were as much the role models for a generation as they were rock stars. They became a social movement at the time.

Both Elvis and the Beatles were epic.

I think more people identified in a personal way with the Fab Four.

I like both, but I play my Beatles records more than my Elvis records.

Pages: 1 2 71 replies