Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

MOTOR CITY TIKI ART SHOW & PARTY - June 19, 2004

Pages: 1 2 53 replies

K

Say guys, I know it isn't your own backyard exactly, but Columbus Ohio isn't really that far and we are putting on the Hot Rod Hula Hop here in August on the 20th. We'd be very interested in having you all down for that. We could get vendors set up with space, and maybe even look into incorporating your efforts into our event and vice versa, or maybe we could combine and put on a larger midwestern event in the future.

Either way, it'd be nice to see all of you come down and hang with your Ohio ohana. Chisel is carving like crazy for this thing, so we will be turning the venue into a hell of a tiki bar for one magical night.

There's some news up about it here:

http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/news/

and the early event page is up here:

http://www.fraternalorderofmoai.org/events.html

Watch for more info to be up later this week.

Mahalo,

Ahu

and what makes you think we weren't planning on coming down there??? I'll see you in august- i was planning on picking up some of chisel's tikis in detroit but guess i'll have to do it in august.

-thanks!!

K

On 2005-05-11 04:57, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
and what makes you think we weren't planning on coming down there???

Well... now I expect to see the whole crew of ya. I'll make sure the mai tais are extra strong and the beer is extra cold. Heh heh heh!

I'll see you in august- i was planning on picking up some of chisel's tikis in detroit but guess i'll have to do it in august.

-thanks!!

Sounds good. Maybe we'll do the TC meet and greet thing.

You should see the stuff Chisel is doing this year. Damn. The guy gets better in leaps and bounds. Last two I saw were a big Marq and a sort of new school meets classic Kono. Awesome. I could very easily go broke just by stopping by his shop to say hey.

BTW, if any of the folks you know up that way want to vend at the HRHH, have 'em fire me an email and I'll get 'em all set up.

Mahalo and take care,

Ahu

K

Heck, I almost forgot... wait til the rod folks get a look at the trophies Chisel is making. He's carving the awards. Two foot tikis with flames behind 'em. Gotta be the best rod show trophy of the summer easily.

Ahu

sounds good...i'll get a crew going....also, i'll talk to my buddy larry of the voodoo kings car club and see if they might be interested. I think the trophies may entice them. chisel's stuff is awesome but most importantly the price is right for the quality....alot of carvers charge too much for third rate work. He was practically giving the stuff away in detroit and sold out in a real short amount of time. his style and choice of woods vary, which gives the customer a wide range of choices. most carvers have one style and beat it to death...I don't know how that guy makes enough money to compensate for his time in carving -but who cares!! I love affordable tikis!!

K

Well, I'd hate to speak for him (his CPU is on the fritz though), but he seems to carve out of real artistic compulsion; he's not expecting to make a living or a huge profit, he just carves because that's what he does to keep busy and happy. He told me that if his work pays for his Hukilau trip, then he's pretty thrilled.

Jimmy's a hell of a guy on top of that, so I think it is just in his personality to sell his work affordably.

Granted he's a friend of mine and I want to support his work, but really... this stuff he has in the shop right now will just kill ya dead. You may want to drive a pick up down in August, 'cause his new larger tikis are the best I've seen from him. I'm going to shoot some pics of it all for him here soon, so I'll post 'em. I'm talking to him about setting up a website to show of his work, so you might be seeing that soon as well.

Ahu

Pages: 1 2 53 replies