Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Drinks and Food

Grogalizer is back!

Pages: 1 2 3 120 replies

S

Hey fellow mixologists. I have some good things in the works. I could not wait to share.

I am working on a new website for those of us who mix from the Grog Log and Intoxica. It will be the companion to the books.

You will sign in and there will be a page with all the ingredients from all the recipes. You click on the ones you have, and then it will give you a list of all the recipes you can make, and what page they are on in the book! No more hunting!

Plus, you will be able to rate the recipes 1-10 and add your comments. This way, you can suggest a better way to prepare the drink, or a place to find Stroh cheap, etc.

This announcement is just a tease for now. I have been working on the code when I have time. I am likely going to get it out to you as soon as I can and add to it as I go. So maybe there will be the first view later this week.

The Swank Pad Broadcast - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky 2008-09-26 05:59 ]

wow! and the authors are cool with that? far out!

mahalo, j$

I was just wishing I had my copies of those books here at work.

This will be fantastic for making booze shopping trips on my way home!

I'll be able to print a recipe out and not worry about getting it all wet.

A registration like HumuHumu has on Critiki would work well, I'll bet that's already what you've got in mind!

Good luck with it Swanky, I'll be one of the first to sign up!

NICE!! I can't wait to see it. I was thinking about doing something similar that I could keep on my PDA. That way I could have it with me anytime when someone says... "hey Bill, make me one of those Tiki drinks you keep talking about."

Do you have all the info in a database or spreadsheet or what?

-T.J.

K
Klas posted on Tue, May 18, 2004 1:18 PM

On 2004-05-18 11:50, Johnny Dollar wrote:

and the authors are cool with that?

I assume that the actual recipes will not be on the site so you still need the books to make the drinks.

Great idea!

WOW!! That is an awesome idea! It also sounds like a great way to try drinks you haven't had yet. And perhaps a way to use up that bottle of Creme de Cassis lurking in the back of my liquor cabinet.

Good name, too!

Great idea! I'm with Klas in thinking that the actual recipes shouldn't be on there. The books are cheap enough to be available to anyone who can afford a bottle of rum and some mixers....

This will save a massive amount of page-turning.

Trader Woody

S

Yep, that's right. The results won't show the recipe, just the name, which book and the page number. It's a companion to the books only.

doh! Guess I'll have to laminate my copy! :)

That is fantastic though, webtender.com has a similar idea...you can put in all the ingredients you have on hand and come up with a list of drinks to make. The only problem is that every Don, Vic and Harry have recipes on there that you really don't want!

S

Okay, so I'll add a feature where you can pick an ingredient, like Pimento Liqueur and it will show you all you can make with your ingredients and that single one. So if you get something new, you'll see exactly what you can make with it.

Any more ideas?

Swanky,
That's a great idea, a perfect companion to the books.

I was trying to think of more features.
First I thought of displaying the results in a way that could group the drinks according to strength and dominant tastes (sweet, sour, bitter), but then I realized it's highly subjective, and the strength meter in the books is not always accurate.
Then, I thought that you might want to sort out the results by popularity (after sufficient user data accumulates).

I think you covered that "must have" features, and all the rest is only "nice to have".

I'll be looking forward to using it.
Mahalo,

Ran

S

I have got the first working (I think!) version of it up now HERE

Create your user, select your items and see what it tells you.

There is a lot more work to be done, so don't be too critical, just tell me if you see something that is seriously wrong.

And if you get error messages, it likely means I am coding it right then and it'll be fixed as soon as I get it done again!

Once you have created your account, go HERE to access the Grogalizer.

Oh yeah, I only have the Grog Log in there now. Anyone wanna do some typing for me? :wink:

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2004-05-24 11:51 ]

worked for me! thanky swanky ~

Worked for me.
Great job Swanky!

K
Klas posted on Mon, May 24, 2004 1:19 PM

Worked great here too, thanks!

I created an account, logged in, selected everything I have in stock then I get "You can make:".....
It is blank. Is it a glitch or do I have too many things selected?

BTW.... Thanks for making this! I can't wait to play around with it more.

-T.J.

[ Edited by: Tonnikan Jinn on 2004-05-24 13:49 ]

V

great work...that'll help a lot.

H

Cool! Glad to see you've got it going. A heads-up, though: the password field in the create_user.php form is an input type of text, you want it to be type=password.

On 2004-05-24 13:45, Tonnikan Jinn wrote:
I created an account, logged in, selected everything I have in stock then I get "You can make:".....
It is blank. Is it a glitch or do I have too many things selected?

[ Edited by: Tonnikan Jinn on 2004-05-24 13:49 ]

Same thing happened to me. maybe I can't make anything? Anyway, nice work so far, can't wait see the finished product.

-Z

Update: I can't sign back in. it says that either my user name doesn't exist or my password is incorrect.

[ Edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-05-24 14:44 ]

S

Just finished the voting part. Once you have a list of recipes you can make, you then can vote on them.

I am not sure why you guys are not getting anything. It could be a browser issue. I am using session info and it might be an issue with that.

S

For you guys not getting any results, I have a ddeda bit of code that will give you a message if your browser is not suporting the session variables. See if there is some setting you can change, and send me an email with your browser type and operating system please.

Works for me, Thanks!
I tried voting, I thought it would process the vote and take me back to the voting section, but It didn't do anything, so I used the back function.
Is this how it is supposed to work?

Mahalo
Ran

S

Reverb: That's the way it is supposed to work. I left a debug line in there that kept it from returning to the recipe page. Fixed now.

[ Edited by: swanky on 2004-05-24 17:15 ]

[ Edited by: swanky on 2004-05-24 17:24 ]

S

I just went through and voted on the drinks I had something written about, and it made for a plus I had not considered. Once I had voted on a recipe, the Vote option went away and it made it very easy to see which recipes I had not tried!

So, log in, get your recipes, try them and vote and you'll see your list of untried recipes go away as the Vote option goes away!

S

I have now added the ability to comment on the recipes. There you can tell how you tweak the recipe, where you found certain ingredients, etc.

I tried logging in again, got to my "stock" then I got this....

"You may only vote once per recipe.
Voting is basically an F to an A with plus and minus. 10 is an A, 9 is a B+, etc.
You can make:"

... still no names. Do you think it is my browser?

-T.J.

S

TJ,
I am not sure. I logged in as you and you info is stored. I got a long list of recipes. Could it be you are on a slow connection and it's just slow loading? The list of recipe names will take a bit to show up, especially as long as your is!

Yup... it's my browser. I just logged in using a current version of Netscape and it worked. I regularly use an older version due to comfort and familiarity levels, I guess this ol' dinosaur needs to get with the times and change.

And yes.... I have been spending a lot of time and money creating my bar stock. It is my hobby of the season, which hopefully won't last as long as my other hobbies because this one is EXPENSIVE and not so great for my liver too!

BTW... the Grogalizer is cool! IT is a better way for me to keep track of what I have made, what I haven't, what I liked, and what I didn't. Thanks for making it!! Any plans on including Intoxica? How about calling it the "Intoxicator!"

-T.J.

P.S. Is there a way to edit your vote? I think I messed up on my Kapu-Kai vote. That drink rocks!

[ Edited by: Tonnikan Jinn on 2004-05-25 00:34 ]

Fantastic work! Really useful.
I'm going to input all my rum infused (or should that be confused?)comments on the recipes tonight and I'll look forward to reading everyone else's.

Mahalo

S

TJ,
Sounds like you might like the Grogalizer to show your comments rather than everybody's?
The next step is to make the application where you pick one ingredient and it tells you what you can make that has that ingredient in it. I may add a single comment to the table as well. The first one.

It's something I wanted for myself as a useful tool, so, hopefully as I make it more and more useful for me, it will be more useful for you.

The Intoxica stuff is coming, it's just a lot of painful typing I am not up for doing right now. So, if anyone would like to do the typing for me, I can email you the SQL statements and you can type it up and it'll all be there. I just need the recipe names, and page numbers.

As of today, I don't seem to have the option to vote. It's like someone has voted for me! There are maybe two drinks left.

Strange. Is this common?

S

Wahine,
Don't know what's up. I logged in as you and the vote option was there. Try again and email me if it still isn't working and tell me what browser you are using.

Weird!! The vote option is back! Well, problem solved I guess! :)

I didn't see Coffee Brandy on the list which is in the Mr Bali Hai from Intoxica. So I will rate it here... I now understand why Mr. Bali looks the way he does, the Mr. Bali Hai taste like an ashtray. No joking it really taste like a drag off a cig, something I have only done a few times in my life. uuuh man

Has anyone else tried this atrocity?!?

Oh and by the way, thanks Swanky for your dedication. This was a great idea.

Original Art by Flounder

http://www.flounderart.com

[ Edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2004-05-25 19:02 ]

P

Yes.

And your summation is an affront to the terrific taste of cigarettes.

S

Thanks to UtopianDreem's typing, I have all the recipes from Intoxica in there now. I will need to double check them since I did about half last night after 3 cocktails...

I still need to go back and add alternatives when it has an "or" in the recipe.

I had to make some decisions. I just left out Hawaiian Rum since it's likely too rare and always says "or light Puerto Rica Rum." Other stuff.

T

Mahalo Swanky! And thanks to everyone else who helped. What a great tool! I can't count how many times I've flipped through page after page of the Grog Log saying "out of that","don't have this" looking for a recipe to make.

S

Hey guys, I had to wipe out all the votes. Something had gone haywire and I wasn't storing the votes right, so the only way to fix it was to clear out the votes.

Please put in your votes again. It should not be a problem again.

S
Swanky posted on Sun, Jun 6, 2004 1:30 PM

I have added it to my main site here: http://swankpad.org/drinks/Grogalizer/grogalizer.htm You can now get there through the main page.

S
Swanky posted on Mon, Jun 7, 2004 2:29 PM

Okay, for those who do not have one of Berry's books, now you can order them and support the Grogalizer project too.

Head over to the site and click the link and buy and you'll be helping support my endeavor too.

H

I was chatting with Jeff last night at Tiki-Ti, and I mentioned the Grogalizer (I've been missing him at Tiki-Ti, it was my first chance to talk to him about it). He asked me to pass along that he thinks it's fantastic! He thinks it's quite cool that someone would put so much work into building something so useful. Way to go, Swanky!

He did, however, mention that he'd read some posts here about cutting the lime out to make the drinks less tart, and predictably, he thinks that's sacrilege! (My word, not his, I forget exactly how he worded it, but it was strong wording (delivered jovially, though). :wink: )

S

Did you chide him about being consistent about what he calls ingredients? :wink:

S

Okay, I got a bottle of Pusser's today and I wished I had the feature done on the Grogalizer so I could find all the recipes that called for the Pusser's. So maybe I will get on that soon.

Also, I was thinking of adding a mug listing. That is, I also on occasion want to know what drinks use a scorpion bowl, and so I'd like to be able to search my recipes for that quickly too. Any other thoughts?

D

This is a great time saver...Thanks Swanky & UtopianDream's typing :drink: I just wish more people would place or replace their votes...Coconaut here I come!

[ Edited by: DawnTiki on 2004-08-07 19:19 ]

D

Swanky! we had our first tiki party today, and we used the Grogalizer beforehand, to create our menu ~ and we'll use it again to try out new drinks! this is perfect for us first-time bartenders ~thanks for creating such a useful tool!

it would be great to be able to search on a particular type ingredient (to use up the unusual booze at the back of the cabinet or fresh fruit).

thanks again!
elicia

S

Elicia,
That's in the works. I want to make a place you can pick one ingredient and it lists the recipes you can make that have that in it only, so if you get Okolehao, you can go straight to the recipes with that and try it out. It's likely a project to be done after Hukilau when I have a life again...

Swanky,

Thanks for the Grog-a-lizer. It's been very helpful as I attempt to recreate the cocktails within these tomes...I love the vote feature too!

I noticed, however, that Falernum is not on the list of mixers...or is it? I didn't see it on there last night (and I just picked up a bottle)...Of course, my wife could tell you that I can't see things if they're right in front of my face.

BTW: I love the idea of the single ingrediant search.

-Mahalo!

Slacks

S

Slacks,
Falernum is one of those ingredients that comes in more than one form, or, alcoholic or non-alcoholic. I chose to put it in the liqueuer column as the vintage Sazerac is an alcoholic beverage.
I know it might be very easy (for HumuHumu) to make the single ingedient search, but for me, it's gonna take a little work to figure out. I'll have time one of these days. In the mean time, maybe HumuHumu can send the SQL query to me and I'll get it done. I'd be happy to show her my database. :wink:

Pages: 1 2 3 120 replies