Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Non-Tiki Tiki Music

Pages: 1 2 93 replies

Hello all,

I'd like to start a thread of great tiki bar music that's not exotica, island, etc. That is, ordinary songs or albums in any style that for whatever reason sound great in a tiki bar.

I'll start this off with two very different suggestions:

1. The Andrew Sisters, "Rum and Coca-Cola."
    Like most of their stuff, this has a shore-leave-in-WWII sound to it. The lyrics describe hot sex and cold drinks in Trinidad.

2. The Ramones, "Somebody Put Something In My Drink." Typically Ramones, only more intoxicated.

Who has another idea?

Cheers,
Blue Moose

K
Kono posted on Wed, May 19, 2004 4:00 AM

John Coltrane "Africa" off of the "Africa/Brass" album.

K
Klas posted on Wed, May 19, 2004 9:38 AM

Annette : Pineapple Princess

How about "House of Bamboo" by Earl Grant (or even the cover by Southern Culture on the Skids).

Keep Swinging!
Java

Sleepwalk - Various Swank Artists

Jade Idol - Stray Cats

TW

The entire album of Mr. Bongo by Jack Costanzo.

most albums by joao gilberto, antonio carlos jobim & lots of other bossa nova!

On 2004-05-19 09:38, Klas wrote:
Annette : Pineapple Princess

I prefer Barnes & Barnes version.

For starters:

Jeri Southern - An Occasional Man (Cal Tjader and Anita O'Day also have a cool version)

ok after mis-entering my password the first time around and subsequently wiping clean my first post.. ..

If you're feeling adventurous I'd go for some Yma Sumac, but I suppose that would still come under the exotica umbrella..
I think it depends on the crowd.. and how you want to set the mood, I like a lot of cuban and mexican "world" music like the Buena Vista social club, or cesaria evora (sp?) Otherwise it depends on my company and/or what mood I'm in, 50s R&B like Big Joe Turner is great, western swing or some "voodoobilly" like Deadbolt can be pretty atmospheric, but then if I'm so inclined I could even throw on a Leonard Cohen album..
don't hate me.. haha..
mm.. music is goood..

V

Robert Mitchum : "calypso is like so..."

Me First and the Gimme Gimmes: any album or single. Simple, quality and funny punk rock (ish). Besides, Spike croones so beautifully...

I'm making a compilation of island songs from people not normally island-style. Polynesian/oceana as opposed to carribean/jamaican. There are a lot of good one-off's out there that need to be put together.

Joe Frank has a great little tune from his Hawai'i episode. And Warren Zevon's Hula Hula Boys is funny & groovy:

Yesterday she went to see
The Polynesian band
But she came home with her hair all wet
And her clothes all filled with sand
I didn't have to come to Maui
To be treated like a jerk
How do you think I feel
When I see the bellboys smirk?
They're signing,

Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana
Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana ...

(I hear Hunter S, THompson particularly digs this song)

Taj Mahal has relatively recently made some good (and also some middling) island stuff; he lives on Maui now, I think.

The Kinks's Ape Man and Holiday in Waikiki are island in theme more than sound, but ya can't leave them out... (Magnetic Fields's "Desert Island" ; Cat Power's "Sea of Love" - good too.)

Anyone have any more tropical suggestions, from artists in different genres?

~Scrimshaw Lui, le Glik

[ Edited by: scrimshaw on 2004-05-22 12:26 ]

[ Edited by: Scrimshaw on 2004-05-22 12:46 ]

K
Kono posted on Fri, May 21, 2004 7:40 PM

For the dark and forboding tiki bar: Aussie band The Scientists' early stuff. Swampland, Blood Red River, Happy Hour, We Had Love, Demolition Derby, Set It On Fire etc.

The volcano's about to blow and there's no way off the island. The natives are getting frantic and are wanting a sacrifice for an angry god. They're circling your makeshift thatch roofed bar, chanting. One or two warriors periodically feint a rush at you to see how you'll react. There's nothing left to do but wave your Army issue .45 at them and down as much of your rum stock as you can before being overtaken by the natives or being swallowed along with them in the fire, ash and lava. The Scientists make the perfect soundtrack for the occasion.

Errr...sorry for getting kind of weird there. :oops:

On 2004-05-21 19:30, Scrimshaw wrote:
Taj Mahal has relatively recently made some good (and also some middling) island stuff; he lives on Maui now, I think.

My wife Loves "Sacred Island" from Taj Mahal, but we haven't heard any of his other Hapa Blues CDs.

He lives on Kaua'i, or did when he made "Sacred Island."

Speaking of non-Tiki Tiki music, does anyone know anything about the drummer/singer named Tiki? He's appeared with P-Funk, Carlos Santana & Alex Acuna among others. He seems mostly involved in Latin Jazz.

On 2004-05-20 02:07, Velvet Ruby wrote:
...or some "voodoobilly" like Deadbolt can be pretty atmospheric...

Specifically, their song "Tiki Man!"

Sea Chanties, esp with concertina, add lots of atmo. By extension, the Amelie soundtrack would be very good tiki bar playing. And the Disneyland Swiss Family Robinson house song played over and over and over again - after 15 years that thing is still in my head.

My friends turned me on to a couple of Ames Brothers LPs (probably their two only really good records)--"Destination Moon" and "Hello Amigos." Destination Moon is a kitschy space-themed album with an amazing backing orchestra (Sid Rayman); Hello Amigos is all Latin standards done in Spanish with Esquivel leading the backing band. Unbelievable! And both records give me the urge to suck down Demerara Dry Floats and Never Say Dies.

Other great Non-Tiki Tiki records: Mel Torme's "Ole Torme," backed by the Billy May Orchestra; Henry Mancini's "the Blues and the Beat" and "Breakfast at Tiffany's" Soundtrack; and Ray Martin's "Witchcraft." No Tiki party would be complete without at least a some of those!

My favorite album would be "I Swinger" by Combustible Edison (which is also an awsome brandy drink!). Most of the songs are applicable, especially the last song, "Theme from the Tiki Wonder Hour". Good Stuff.

I just found a rockin' blues rave-up by Elmore James called "Hawaiian Boogie." It can be found on various comps, I found it on "Blues Masters: The Very Best of Elmore James" from Rhino.

I'd throw in Ursula 1000's "Kinda Kindy". He's got some great tracks, including Ursula 1000's "Beatbox Cha Cha","Smokebomb" or "That Hindu that you Do", which to me feel like a modern uptempo spin on tiki (though overall it's more an uptempo spin on lounge, but still very cool).

Also, I'd try Les Hommes' self-titled album, for some smooth jazzy vibraphone and moog coolness.

Leaning more surf, I'd give The Vara-tones "Jetty Subject to High Surf" a listen. They're an actual 60s surf band who never recorded more than a single, and got back togeter and cut an album in 99. It's great stuff.

Also surfish, but making my non-tiki tiki list is Southern Culture on the Skids. Really rocking guitar, with hillbilly twang mixed in. Lot's of party fun.

In the horror/surf genre, run out and buy "The Ghouls Go West" from The Moon-Rays. From Munster's inspired go-go, to a version of "One Step Beyond's" "Fear, not only is it great sounding music, but kooky in a way I didn't expect to find in an album.

I found the Vara-tones and The Moon-Rays on cdbaby.com, which sells direct from artists, so they might be hard (or impossible) to find anywhere else.

I know some of these really stretch the boundries of classic tiki, but I think they're worth listening to as modern music with tiki, surf or lounge sensibilities.

at the risk of being stoned, i'd have to include the chris isaak song "wicked game." i guess it's the steel guitar, duh. but that song could be put onto a blue hawaiians album and you'd never skip a beat. j$

On 2004-05-27 09:17, Johnny Dollar wrote:
at the risk of being stoned, i'd have to include the chris isaak song "wicked game." i guess it's the steel guitar, duh. but that song could be put onto a blue hawaiians album and you'd never skip a beat. j$

A better choice is his "Baja Sessions." His girlfriend moved out while he was out on tour & left him a "Dear Chris" letter; So he grabs his surfboard, some friends & their guitars & they head to Baja. When they came back they cut an album of the songs they played down there, including "Yellow Bird" (also done by Arthur Lyman) & "Sweet Leilani."

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance on 2004-05-27 14:22 ]

On 2004-05-27 14:16, freddiefreelance wrote:

On 2004-05-27 09:17, Johnny Dollar wrote:

A better choice is his "Baja Sessions." His girlfriend moved out while he was out on tour & left him a "Dear Chris" letter; So he grabs his surfboard, some friends & their guitars & they head to Baja. When they came back they cut an album of the songs they played down there, including "Yellow Bird" (also done by Arthur Lyman) & "Sweet Leilani."

yah i gots that one too, i just thought the guitar twang of the above was pretty hawiiaan. baja sessions is good beachy stuff. and the liner notes have plenty vintage stuff images for us junkies...

M

How about "Let's Talk Dirty in Hawaiian" by John Prine. Just now learning it on da uke. Great tune.

On 2004-05-24 11:32, finkdaddy wrote:
"I Swinger" by Combustible Edison (which is also an awsome brandy drink!). Most of the songs are applicable, especially the last song, "Theme from the Tiki Wonder Hour". Good Stuff.

Ditto, I love "Millionaire's Holiday"
I have also been playing "The Party" sound tracks by Mancini.

M

On 2004-05-28 14:25, Unga Bunga wrote:

Ditto, I love "Millionaire's Holiday"
I have also been playing "The Party" sound tracks by Mancini.

Just watched that movie AGAIN last weekend. That film has me rolling every time. How much would you love to live in that pad?! Indoor/outdoor pool. Hideaway bar (though I'd NEVER hide it).

Birdy-numnums?
Biiiiirdy-numnums?

[ Edited by: MachTiki on 2004-05-28 15:03 ]

damnnn folks, it's too bad i live a whole country width away from you guys. we could get together and watch all these cool movies and swap albums. on second thought, maybe it's good, i'd never get anything else done:)

im outta here, you all have a swell mem day.

btw, have you all seen the mancini stamps available at the local post office? fyi.

I was listening to Warren Zevon last night & thought I'd add "Werewolves of London" to this list for the "I saw a werewolf drinking a Pina Colada at Trader Vic's/ and his hair was perfect" couplet.

N
Nai'a posted on Wed, Jun 16, 2004 5:17 PM

Great Song I was just about going to mention that song.

I just bought an album by Jose Feliciano featuring his version of Eden Ahbez’ Nature Boy, great rendition, while only marginally exotica, but a really incredible tune!

KK

C

is anybody into Mickey Hart....Grateful Dead
drummer who has released several spectacular
percussion cds....planet drum...supralingua...apocalypse now...
many more....great background music for
tiki themed romper rooms...

"Space Age Pop - Vol. 3" (RCA), subtitled "The Stereo Action Dimension!" -- various artists, including The Three Suns, Ray Martin, Bernie Greene ... and Esquivel! Need I say more?

T

Yes, Mickey Hart has done some fantastic work. Although I never was a dead fan I've picked up everyone of Hart's perccusion albums. They have that deep in the enchanted jungle vibe.

George Harrison's late release "Brainwash" is great and full of slide guitars and Ukuleles. Best jams are "Marwa Blues","Between the Devil and the deep blue sea", and "Rocking Chair in Hawaii" A great addition to any tiki bar juke box. Hey theres a concept, a juke box that looks like a tiki.

John Waite's "Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open" is in my tiki party mix.

W
wushu posted on Mon, Jul 5, 2004 11:50 AM

I am a big fan of the Ukelele Man's Sumoninjalele. For a true lounge atmosphere anything by the Pizzacato Five, loungy, dancey, serge gainsbourgy. Good stuff

[ Edited by: wushu on 2004-07-05 19:57 ]

From "The Latest Menace To The Human Race" By the Neanderthals, the tracks 'Arula Mata Ghali Nackashimba Wipatoo" ( The current front runner for the name of my yet to be materialised tiki bar ) and "Hula Baby".

Both very good 60's style garage rock tracks.

If it is still in print, it was on Get Hip records.
TG

"The Carl Stallings Project: Volumes 1 & 2"

Classic Warner Bros cartoon music with the voiceovers & visual cues removed, leaving just the glorious trainwreck of Avant-guarde, classical, jazz, pop, sound effects & anything else that fit what was happening on screen.

A related set is "The Raymond Scott Project:"

A collection of the Raymond Scott Quintet's back catalog that was used by Carl Stallings in his own compositions.

Call me nuts but when Mrs. Elva Miller hits those high pictched warbeling in a few of her songs it reminds me of an off key suburban Yma Sumac, or maybe Yma Sumac's mother in law. What a double bill that would have been.

[ Edited by: naugatiki on 2004-07-08 10:50 ]

K

Here's my 23 cents:

Anything "Space Age Pop" is great, and also check out the song Caravan by Bunny Berigan and his Orchestra available on the "Sweet and Lowdown" sountrack (actually most of the music on that soundtrack is great!)

Well, let's just list these things for ease...

Cuban Carnival (1956) -- Tito Puente
Two Guitars in Cha Cha" -- Billy Mure.
Pop-shopping - juicy music from german commercials 1960-1975
Greatest Hits -- Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass
Os Mutantes -- Os Mutantes

Some more recent music (besides what others have mentioned already):
Low Kick And Hard Bop -- Solex
The CQ Soundtrack -- Various Artists
Shots in the Dark -- compilation of underground covers of Mancini songs (love it!)
Both Albums -- Tipsy (Fan-friggin'-tastic)
Most older stuff -- Man or Astroman?
"Something Wicked This Way Comes" -- Lost Highway Soundtrack -- Barry Adamson
Fantasma -- Cornelius (Space Age Pop in the year 2000)
Friends of Dean Martinez
Pirate's Choice -- Orchestra Baobab
"Showroom Dummies" -- Senor Coconut

And probably a lot more that I can't think of right now!

MiamI Sound Machine's "Surrender Paradise'; Wall Of Voodoo's "Tsetse Fly"; Sade's "The Sweetest Taboo" ; Michael Franks' "Under The Tahitian Moon"; Milt Jackson & Wes Montgomery "Delilah"; Connie Stevens' (I think) absolutely wonderfully awful "Kookie Little Paradise" (a bad rewrite of "An Occasional Man")

I promise not to lead you astray. Here are a few of my non-Tiki favorites. You’re life will greatly improve after trying these on! Each one is different, well worth your time
You can sample alot of the tracks on Amazon

Enjoy,& keep an opened mind

LOVAGE

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005RTSV/qid=1090976354/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-3933872-4239919?v=glance&s=music

The Schulmadchen Report

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000003SZL/qid%3D1090976464/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/104-3933872-4239919

ENOCH LIGHT Pesents SPACED OUT

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00002NDBO/qid=1090976596/sr=8-1/ref=__1/104-3933872-4239919?v=glance&s=music

MR. BUNGLE

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000JG41/qid=1091560970/sr=2-2/ref=sr_2_2/002-1004910-9477623

[ Edited by: LavaPants on 2004-07-27 19:18 ]

[ Edited by: LavaPants on 2004-08-03 13:24 ]

[ Edited by: LavaPants on 2004-08-03 13:29 ]

I've been diggin' some 60's americanized Italian mandolin albums fronted (and supported by) Dick Dia. This guy rocks on the mandolin. Whenever you hear a mandolin being played on a 60's album, and it includes a list of the players, he's always mentioned.

and we can't forget the master of the electric muzak guitar: Al Caiola. he rocks too.

M

On 2004-07-04 13:18, Raffertiki wrote:
John Waite's "Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open" is in my tiki party mix.

At the risk of being a geek (too late)... it's actuall John Hiatt.
... Unless the lead singer of "The Babys" & "Bad English" did a version as well? :)

Ah, you could be right.

On 2004-05-19 13:34, Tiki Chris wrote:
most albums by joao gilberto, antonio carlos jobim & lots of other bossa nova!

im lis'nen to tanto tempo by bebel gilberto rite now (daughter of joao and astrud gilberto). highly recommended as well.

Pages: 1 2 93 replies