Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Mister Tiki (San Diego) - Saturday, June 12th - Who's In?

Pages: 1 2 3 101 replies

M

Official Date: Saturday, June 12th, 6:00 PM.

Mister Tiki is requiring that we give them an accurate count of our group in order to secure a reservation. So, below is the list of everyone who has indicated (either in this thread or privately) that they will be attending. Some indicated that they would join us for drinks after dinner. If you need to change your status or the number of people please let me know ASAP (I'll edit the list as I hear from people). Also, it looks like we're going to be well over their 20 person limit for a reservation. Don't worry, I'll make sure we'll all get in.

(33 Total) Dinner
(3) ModMana +2
(2) Monkeyman + 1
(2) Alnshely
(3) kick_the_reverb +2
(1) PolynesianPop
(2) Shipwreckjoey +2
(1) Humuhumu
(1) floratina
(1) freddiefreelance
(2) OnaTiki + Moki
(4) vintagegirl + Atomic Cocktail
(2) thechikitiki +1
(2) Nai'a +1
(2) thebaxdog + KuKui Nut
(2) Tonga King +1
(2) MEAN GENE + Weence
(2) Secret Special Guest +1

(5 Total) After Dinner Drinks
(2) Tiki Bird + Utopian Dream
(1) Cousin Dave
(2) Doctor Z + Z-Girl

Mahalo,
ModMana :drink:

[ Edited by: ModMana on 2004-06-11 13:11 ]

T

Baxdog and KuKui Nut
We are in
With no kids
Damn I miss them already.
(It is still pre-fathers day)
We just got a room at La Pensione.
What kids??????

What the hell is wrong with everyone
When this stops being fun
I'm out
Have no brakes Cannot stop
Saddog

[ Edited by: thebaxdog on 2004-06-07 08:14 ]

M

A huge thanks to Modmana for taking the time to organize us and keep us together as a group. I am looking forward to seeing all of you on Saturday. If anyone wants to cut down on their drive from the North, we can carpool in our van. (seats 7) I live in Vista, about 10 minutes from Oceanside.

760-458-3687 cell

Mahalo

Da MoNkEyMaN

TK

This sounds like way too much fun..
We will have 2 to 4 people in our party for Dinner and Drinks...

:tiki:

CA

I got my weekends mixed up and showed up to Mr.Tiki's yesterday on the way back from a Mex trip... only to be turned away :( they were preparing for their insiders run through. I tried to get in by dropping Bosko's name but got no further. The bar was not faced yet, but the rest of the place looks great! kind of Shaggy elements with a Bosko in every available spot. Hot Asian girls in traditional Dragon Lady dress will greet you.

my only TC comment would be I'd would have done the logo differently :wink:

have fun, I'll miss this one

Mahalo ModMana for takin' care of bizness. See ya there.

ModMana, since we have 40 people, can they break us up into 8 tables of 5? It's worlds easier to burn a 5 top than try to bring out 40 hot meals at the same time. They'll still have 40 people, but they only have to assemble 5 plates at a time. It's just a suggestion as amelioration for having a group that's twice as big as they think they can handle.

M

Here's a sneak peak...
http://www.tikibosko.com/mr_tiki.html

On 2004-06-07 21:53, freddiefreelance wrote:
ModMana, since we have 40 people, can they break us up into 8 tables of 5? It's worlds easier to burn a 5 top than try to bring out 40 hot meals at the same time. They'll still have 40 people, but they only have to assemble 5 plates at a time. It's just a suggestion as amelioration for having a group that's twice as big as they think they can handle.

They will be breaking up the overall group into smaller groups of 10-15. However, all the tables will be in close proximity.

Rich, your secret is safe with me. Ok what is it?

Heres a map for you out of town folk. Good luck with the parking.

Get Directions to Mr. Tiki

B

Unfortunately I will not be able to attend. Darn it! Take and post lotsa pix. Aloha.....

M

On 2004-06-07 02:32, ModMana wrote:
Official Date: Saturday, June 12th, 6:00 PM.

(6 Total) Unknown
(2) Doctor Z + Z-Girl
(2) sirginn +1
(1) MachTiki

Mahalo,

[ Edited by: ModMana on 2004-06-08 23:37 ]

ModMana,

Thanks for thinking of me and to eveyone who e-mailed me asking if I was coming. Unfortuntely I have a band gig that night (almost every Saturday for that matter), and I can't get out of it.

If any of you live in Coastal North County (and aren't too loopy on Mai Tai's) drop by "The Beach House" in Cardiff on your way home. I'll be playing there until 11:00pm. You can brag about how much fun you had.

Gonna go cry now.

DZ

Even though we may be able to leave earlier, with the unpredictable traffic and parking, I'll have to say we're still gonna miss dinner. We will, however, be there to suck 'em up shortly thereafter, so save seats for us!

Ran-- I just e-mailed you about your couch...

MachTiki - What's the name of your band? I've got a brother in Cardiff & maybe he'll get over to check you guys out (if he hasn't already - Cardiff is a pretty small town...)!

M

On 2004-06-09 08:05, Doctor Z wrote:

MachTiki - What's the name of your band? I've got a brother in Cardiff & maybe he'll get over to check you guys out (if he hasn't already - Cardiff is a pretty small town...)!

The Justin Brothers. And yeah, no reason to have your bro make a special trip for this Saturday... Chances are he's already seen us before since we've been playing every Saturday at "The Beach House" for almost 10 years.

Thanks for asking

MG

MR.TIKI IS NOW OPEN! My wife, Lisa & I live here in San Diego. We were the first customers to sit down at the bar and have a mai tai. Whahoo! This is actually our 1st post on TIKI CENTRAL but we met many of you at Tiki Oasis. We FINALLY registered. Anyways, back to Mister Tiki, the place looks great. BOSKO did some great work.....there's even a drink named after him on the menu. Just a note to those who have kids....the place is 21 & up ONLY...no kids allowed (not even in the restaurant area). Some people wanted to have dinner with their baby and they wouldn't let them in.

On 2004-06-09 23:56, MEAN GENE wrote:
Some people wanted to have dinner with their baby and they wouldn't let them in.

That's Mean Gene!
Welcome to Tiki Central!

M

MEAN GENE, Welcome to Tiki Central! You could possibly be their first repeat customer if you return with this group on Saturday. Are you joining us?

sirginn, did you ever decide if you were going?

Anyone else that's interested, you'll need to decide quickly. If I don't give them an accurate reservation count, I can't guarantee that we'll all have a seat. Please check page 4 of this thread for the most updated reservation list.

Mahalo!

W

Hi everyone.......this is "MRS. MEAN GENE". Just registered, so this is my 1st post. We'll be there Saturday night as well.
ModMana: Thanks for adding us on the list.
Wanted to add.... that when we sat down at the bar last night, they bought us the 1st round of drinks since we were their 1st customers. Everyone was really nice. Also...They expect that they will be packed Sat night, so best to come early. I know the doors dont open til 5:30, but the earlier you get there, the better chance of getting a somewhat decent parking space. UGH!!!!
-weence

TB

On 2004-06-10 12:27, Weence wrote:

They expect that they will be packed Sat night, so best to come early. I know the doors dont open til 5:30, but the earlier you get there, the better chance of getting a somewhat decent parking space.

Well Utop & I wont be leaving LA till 5, so if someone sees us outside could you please smuggle us drinks.

On 2004-06-10 12:27, Weence wrote:
I know the doors dont open til 5:30, but the earlier you get there, the better chance of getting a somewhat decent parking space. UGH!!!!
-weence

We're planning on heading down there about 5:00 and parking in the Horton Plaza lot (about two blocks away). I think you can park there for 3 Hrs if you get a validation @ one of the stores (just buy something small). The last time I had jury duty down there it worked pretty well. If you excede the hours, you can get another validation or just pay the xtra hours. At any rate it beats a parking ticket or a tow.

Found more info regarding parking at Horton Plaza on their webpage How to Get There:
"Parking lot rates are $1 per every 15 minutes. You can receive three hours of free parking by making a purchase at any retailer at Horton Plaza. Parking garage is open 24 hours a day--rates apply all hours."

The page also lists driving directions for anyone interested.

[ Edited by: UtopianDreem on 2004-06-11 11:15 ]

I work about 2 blocks away and stopped by yesterday - really nice looking inside! Horton plaza is the way to go for parking. 3 hours free with validation - Starbucks is a good option right as you leave the mall.

MG

Hey Guys, Mean Gene here!
When Lisa and I went on opening day, there were only two old guys with boring aloha shirts on. I think it's important for us all to make a statement and show San Diego whats up! So were your swanky savage duds. Hopefully Mr. Tiki will help San Diego wake up and smell the Tiki.

MG

On 2004-06-11 14:11, MEAN GENE wrote:
When Lisa and I went on opening day, there were only two old guys with boring aloha shirts on. I think it's important for us all to make a statement and show San Diego whats up! So were your swanky savage duds. Hopefully Mr. Tiki will help San Diego wake up and smell the Tiki.

WEAR not were, duh.

On 2004-06-11 14:17, MEAN GENE wrote:

On 2004-06-11 14:11, MEAN GENE wrote:

WEAR not were, duh.

I can't, my Ti-D-Bol blue tuxedo's in storage & I'm wearing my Creamsicle-orange Hawaiian shirt today. B) Hopefully the Hawaiian shirt I wear tomorrow won't be too boring.

H

Can't wait, guys! The folks I work with are getting very used to seeing my backpack in my office on Fridays. They no longer ask "Are you going somewhere for the weekend?" Now they ask "So, where to this weekend?" And this weekend, it's San Diego.

I'm heading down immediately after work to have dinner at The Islands at the Hanalei Red Lion. If anyone cares to join me at dinner, please feel free! 206-349-1362

What to wear oh what to wear?

I am struggling between a Tapa Print Sport Coat and slacks or Vintage Barkcloth Shirt and Jeans.

What is the consensus are we dressing UP or going Aloha all the way?

O

Speaking only for me, very casual aloha...

M

On 2004-06-11 14:44, Humuhumu wrote:
I'm heading down immediately after work to have dinner at The Islands at the Hanalei Red Lion.

Wish we could join you Humuhumu. We love The Islands and would normally jump at any opportunity to go there. Unfortunately we have family obligations this evening and can't make it.

Does this place have a dress code? No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service. Can I slide by in my Sunday dress slippahs? Or do I have to wear some cow hide on my feet? Decisions...decisions...decisions.

[ Edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2004-06-11 20:24 ]

B

man I'm so jealous. You guys in Socal have all the best places and peeps.
Port Saint Lucie doesn't know how to spell Tiki. Guess we'll have to move out west.
I've been watching this Bosko-bar unfold since mid march and it is really getting exciting. Can't wait for Pictures and tails. Thanks to ModMana and all you guys who spent so much time on this project. Thanks to Bosko . Can't wait. can't wait!

W

Good morning......I think "Sundays best slippahs" would be fine. When we were there on Wednesday, there was a big range as far as "dress attire"......some people very casual, some dressy. I dont think there is a dress code, but it is a little "fu fu" ....so many people will be all decked out.....especially on a Saturday night in the Gaslamp district. We're probably wearing aloha attire (just not shorts).....not too casual, not too dressy. Hope that helps..... See you all tonight!
-lisa

T

The Mrs. and I are soooo jealous. We would have been there if we were still living in LA. Please, please take a lot of pictures. Have fun tonight.

TMF

Hey Everyone,

I am in the big Diego, and I am planning right now to drop by for a few, and also brunch in the morn at Bali Hai.

Sounds like an excellent plan Tiki Mo Fo! If you see me before I see you, I'll be the one wearing the loud Hawaiian shirt.

MG

I know it's late, but don't forget the tiki necklace.

O

Mister Tiki was awesome!! San Diego has another cool Tiki bar. Bosko's work was beautiful.

A big, very special thanks to the Godfather of Tiki, Modmana, for setting this up. We were well taken care of.

I saw lots of picture taking. I'm sure tomorrow there will be lots to see.

As always, it was great to see everyone.
Aloha,
:drink:

It was great seeing everyone at Mr Tikis. Thanks to those that drove many miles through lots of traffic to get here.

Here are some pics
Poly Pop and my wife outside

The Mr Tiki Sign

Inside by the Bar

Dining Room

Volcano Bowl

We Filled 5 Tables

Mean Gene, Weence and Tonga King

Floratina and Mrs Monkeyman

ChikiTiki, Shely, Al, Mrs Monkeyman, Polynesian Pop

FreddieFreelance

Humuhumu, Vintage Girl, Atomic Cocktail

DoctorZ, Shipwreckjoey, KicktheReverb and significant others

Chiki talking to unexptected guest Bosko

[ Edited by: Monkeyman on 2004-06-13 12:41 ]

W

Hi.....last night was really fun. Thank you so much for the warm welcome. I had only met a few people from this crowd previously at Tiki Oasis weekend in PS. The place was great, the people were cool & the food (and drinks of course) were delicious! Hope everyone is feeling ok today....{{{yawn}}}
-Weence & MEAN GENE
(Lisa & Gene)

-weence
http://www.fallingcocos.com

[ Edited by: Weence on 2004-06-14 08:40 ]

W

p.s. great pics, monkeyman!

D

On 2004-06-13 12:32, Monkeyman wrote:

DoctorZ, Shipwreckjoey, KicktheReverb and significant others

had to laugh, sounds like "and the rest, here on Gilligans Isle"

Great pix.. looks like everyone had a great time! ahh can't WAIT till our next visit to SanDiego...

where's the swag? any mugs, swizzled, menus to scan and share? i know its only been a day ~ but this is SO exciting!

[ Edited by: dogbytes on 2004-06-13 15:42 ]

H

Ah, what a delightful time. I don't have time to get the photos off my camera right this instant, but I'll post them as soon as I can, I know there are a lot of folks who are itching to see more of this place.

My impressions: the food was really wonderful, the drinks were creative but so-so.(They have a "Classic Mai Tai" and a fruitier "Haole Mai Tai" on the menu -- an absolutely genious approach, except for that their Classic Mai Tai is neither classic nor a Mai Tai. It's closer than many mai tais out there, but they couldn't resist f*$^ing with the recipe, unfortunately. It's a great drink, why do people insist on trying to improve on it? But I digress....)

The decor is a trendy, modern take on tiki, but they've done a good job of updating the look of tiki while staying true to its roots, I think. I'm not a fan of the nose ring they put on the giant moai-esque tiki behind the bar, but that was really my only quibble. There are tikis, tikis everywhere, of good size and great Bosko quality.

The music was half good, half bad. For much of our meal, they were playing pounding reggae-flavored house beats, which would be appropriate for a late night lounge, but not for a meal. Later the music switched to one of the Ultra Lounge exotica compilations, we've all heard those albums a thousand times now, but it was a huge improvement until it switched back to the other stuff.

The service was very friendly and helpful, there were some minor snafus at our table with the timing of bringing dishes out and the wrong drinks & dishes being delivered, but they seemed to get resolved pretty quickly.

Super mahalos to Baxdog for ordering a Mondo Martiki for our table! It was a lot of fun, I've got some great pics of it coming later.

I also want to thank UtopianDreem & Tiki Bird for driving me to kick_the_reverb's place afterward, and I want to thank the reverbs for hosting us and making DELICIOUS Reverb Crashes! This was my first time enjoying this award-winning drink, and it more than lived up to the hype.

In addition to visiting Mister Tiki's, I also went to Spa Tiki earlier in the day (it's a short walk from Mister Tiki's). Its investors are the investors in Mister Tiki's, and it also has Bosko tikis all over the place, I'll post a review in its thread later. Also spent some time at the Hanalei Red Lion & the Islands restaurant and had a good time. On the way back home, I stopped at Bamboo Ben's shop and bought myself a sweet little bar! Ben's shop is great, I'm glad I finally had a chance to stop in. He & Mrs. Boo were there with the minor Boos, they're doing great and have been INCREDIBLY busy with work, which is great for them, but means they have less time to post here. There'd been some reports that they'd had a bar or multiple bars stolen at Oasis -- turns out it was all a misunderstanding and all bars are accounted for. Whew! (HUGE mahalos for helping me get my bar home!)

I was there! I was tired & not at my gabbiest, but I've proven my existence! It's a cliche, but it was wonderful meeting everyone & I hope to see everyone again soon, at least sooner than it took me to work up to this.

I'm usually much chattier, but after getting home from the San Diego Real Ale Festival after midnight (see my tasting notes here), waking up at 5:30, driving to Pomona to pick up my Gran'daughter from her Dad's, driving home & playing with a 1 year old 'til her Mom came by at 4... Well I think "tired" touches upon how I was feeling.

WOW..!!! That about sums up our thoughts after our evening with the TCers at the new Mr. TIKI's..

This was our first outing with the great people of TIKI Central. In all honesty we were a little nervous about going to Mr. TIKI's, we didn't know anybody and we didn't know how anyone would recognize us.. After about 2 minutes at the bar you all just started introducing your selves to us, we felt like part of the crowd every quickly.. Thank you so much for being so friendly and nice.. We had a GREAT time and we can't wait for the next time we can get together will all of you again...

Mahalo…

Tonga King and Tonga Queen
AKA: Cindy and Dave

:drink:

Utop & i made it in time for a drink, was great seeing lots of TCers there, Have nothing but best wishes for Mr. Tiki's longevity there. Special thanks to Kick_The_Reverb for having us over before we headed back to LA.

Tbird.

TMF

I was so close, but still so far... Even being in Del Mar, I just could not get the rest of the way there.... I am now in deep regret, but I can not wait to drop by during one of my future trips.

Here's some crappy-as-ever pictures! I've also updated the record for Mister Tiki's in Critiki.

Tikis!

Mondo Martiki, with the Stanley Cup of shakers and a very impressed Floratina!

Baxdog can't wait till we finish our drink so he can take his Mondo Martiki glass home! (Thanks again, Bax!)

Suck 'em up!

Wall o' Bosko!

Another tiki! And my pants! So wrinkly!

Another tiki!

Extra-chunky bamboo!

Gaping maw of tiki!

The artist Bosko deep in thoughts of tiki!

Mary Blair-esque (to me, anyway) orange flowers!

The bar!

Bamboo spaghetti-o's tabletops!

Ladies' room tiki! This is not for boys! For ladies only!

Tiki Diablo (thechikitiki) & Bosko chatting!

Arrrgh! Neon green nosering on a tiki! NO NO NO!

Kon-Tiki tribute tiki!

Are they glass float lamps or pufferfish lamps?! They're both!

Yet! Another! Tiki!

Whew. And with that, I've thankfully extinguished my supply of exclamation points.

More pics here:

http://public.fotki.com/Humuhumu/san_diego_weekend/mister_tikis/

TB

Hey Modmana, i noticed under Locating Tiki forum that Mr. Tiki is not on there. Since you setup the great opening event with TC, would you do the honors.

Tbird.

oops...just notice mriddle did it, but not under the "Mister Tiki" name.

[ Edited by: Tiki Bird on 2004-06-15 13:43 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 101 replies