Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Useless tikiroom.com Trivia

Pages: 1 7 replies

Okay, so Tiki Central crashed today. I checked into it and it turns out we had ran out of room. This was strange becuase 1 week ago after the site got hacked we had 200 megabytes free.

Then I remembered that I stopped automatically deleting the site's log files. Log files keep track of every transaction between the server and browsers that contact it.

Well I never paid attention to their size before becuase I was automatically deleting them, but as it turns out, one day's worth of Log files is 20 megabytes! That means that in one day just the reporting of everything going on here is enough to make a text file that is 20 megabytes large. Holy cow.

Suffice to say, I won't be keeping log files around for too long.

I thought I'd share that number. We had 80,000 visitors last month!

~Hanford

S
SES posted on Fri, May 21, 2004 12:23 AM

Ahah! Was wondering if that's what happened.

Maybe weeding of old unecessary posts might help? I'd love to just completely delete some myself instead of just edit them out but the option isn't available after the 15 minute time frame.

You can start with mine.
I'll send you a specific list of some of my posts from the past, that will be in my best interest to have deleted. :)

hm.. is that why im getting this error message when im doing a search?

[Edited by Hanford to remove the php code]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2005-05-27 13:54 ]

Re: Deleting posts.

No guys. you don't get it. All of Tiki Central's topics, replies, forums, and users take up about 50mb total. Nothing too big at all.

Now imagine adding some text to a file every time some one views a page or graphic on Tiki Central. You know, just to keep track.

Well in one day that log file grows to be 20mb, or just under half of Tiki Central's total size. That's what blew me away. 3 days our collective actions outgrow the total size of all the information in Tiki Central itself. It's incredible.

Dogbytes:
Thanks for pointing that out! If you should ever see something like that again, please PM me. Turns out we had a corrupt table. Not good! It should be fixed now.

~Hanford

S
SES posted on Fri, May 21, 2004 3:18 AM

Every time someone runs a search it has to wade through a ton of old outdated posts that we might want to delete but can't. That's what I think must play a part too.

The edit button displays "edit/delete" when you hover over but you can't delete only edit after the first 15 minutes.

I saw lots of empty posts while looking for the music and drinks posts. No way to umoderate tag a single post to delete, just the entire thread.

On 2004-05-21 03:18, susane wrote:
Every time someone runs a search it has to wade through a ton of old outdated posts that we might want to delete but can't. That's what I think must play a part too.

This plays a part in the slowness of the search but not the actual size of Tikiroom.com or the log files. :)

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2004-05-21 05:21 ]

W

"No guys. you don't get it."

~Hanford

Dang, you missed my favorite script cliche by a few words: "You just don't get it, do you?"

I got it, but was hoping for less techy mory silly trivia, such as "Did you know that if all the words posted by users on Tiki Central were to be typed on standard weight 81/2 by 11 paper and cut into fortune cookie fortune sized strips it would fill 5,769 Trader Vic's coconut mugs?"

Pages: 1 7 replies