Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

ebay - Tiki fountain with really taut buttocks.

Pages: 1 2 48 replies

I

Sweet looking bugguh:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=29460&item=3913489438&rd=1

This sum'bitch a Witco?

If only I had a few hundred dollars lying around. :(

Here's my obligatory disclaimer: IDASBDNFT/NMS (I did a search but did not find this / not my sale)

M

Already been outbid on this one....too rich for me right now....

T

Wish me luck, tax return :)

M

Go get 'em Turbogod.

GOOD LUCK!

M

Dig boy dig...deep into those pockets!! Good luck!

Matt

the price some will pay for taut buttocks :)

btw good luck, would be cool to see this local!

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-05-26 14:45 ]

K
Kono posted on Wed, May 26, 2004 4:04 PM

"Tikiana!?" We cannot allow this to become a common usage word!

J

What's this about shipping via Greyhound? Can you do that?

M

On 2004-05-26 16:04, Kono wrote:

Here ye, hear ye.
From this moment on, the phrase "Tikiana" shall not be used within the confines of this site. Nor shall it be uttered in the presence of fellow TC'ers.

Do I have someone to second the motion?

S

Yeah, by bus is an old fashioned cheap way to ship.

Just make sure you know how big this mutha is before you buy. It'll take up a lot of real estate!

T

On 2004-05-26 16:40, MachTiki wrote:

On 2004-05-26 16:04, Kono wrote:

Here ye, hear ye.
From this moment on, the phrase "Tikiana" shall not be used within the confines of this site. Nor shall it be uttered in the presence of fellow TC'ers.

Do I have someone to second the motion?

Only if we use "Party" as a noun and not as a verb!

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2004-05-26 16:57 ]

DZ

On 2004-05-26 14:00, Iolani wrote:

This sum'bitch a Witco?

Now I'm no authority by any means (BigBro - where are you?), but having spent a considerable amount of time with a full size (7+ ft) Witco "Mainlander" fountain in my home (it is now comfortably residing in the home of TikiHula), I'd say it darn well looks like Witco to me! From the carving around the face, the backside, the water basin, the pedestal base, around the edges of the baseboard, and even the placement of the hose under the tongue, it sure looks like Westenhaver's work.

Of course, the stuff that Keigs is producing these days is so stunning that it could easily be one of his...

On 2004-05-26 16:42, Swanky wrote:

Just make sure you know how big this mutha is before you buy. It'll take up a lot of real estate!

By comparison, this fountain is a just little guy! Just over 4 feet high, with a 2 ft. square base - you can put it just about anywhere!

It appears to be in excellent condition, too - I just wish I had the cashish for it.

Turbogod - Best of Luck!!

(yikes - looks like you might have to dig even deeper... $333.33 at the moment...)

K

Did somebody say "Tikiana?" That's my new favorite! Tikiana, tikiana, tikiana!

K

Its a Witco, a really nice one! Its called "Fountain of youth"

Three questions...Keigs would you be able to carve me a Witco style fountain for $333.33? :wink: What is the going rate for a Keigs fountain? Turbogod - if you win this thing will I be invited over to see it in person as soon as it arrives?

T

On 2004-05-26 22:26, johntiki wrote:
Turbogod - if you win this thing will I be invited over to see it in person as soon as it arrives?

IF, being the determining factor! Most definately, I wouldn't want to keep this away from the TC Ohana. Maybe this could be the catalyst for a MDVADC get together. It's going to be a long day! :)

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2004-05-27 06:50 ]

On 2004-05-27 06:49, Turbogod wrote:

On 2004-05-26 22:26, johntiki wrote:
Turbogod - if you win this thing will I be invited over to see it in person as soon as it arrives?

IF, being the determining factor! Most definately, I wouldn't want to keep this away from the TC Ohana. Maybe this could be the catalyst for a MDVADC get together. It's going to be a long day! :)

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2004-05-27 06:50 ]

feel free to challenge or modify this idea, but i'd be willing to pledge a couple bucks to secure its acquisition if a couple other locals would be up for it too... don't know if that would make a difference...

[ Edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-05-27 09:07 ]

Yes! This has got to be Vitco (it's Vitco, not Witco) :wink:

You guys gotta get it! Good luck...we're all counting on you...

I was thinking the same thing. I could make something like that. I don't like the wood base either.

On 2004-05-26 16:37, johntiki wrote:
What's this about shipping via Greyhound? Can you do that?

I don't know about Greyhound shipping. When I was a wee one, my grandmother shipped our Christmas presents that way and we never received them. To this day I rue the loss of my never had Mrs. Beasley doll...

T

:( well i tried my best. Keigs, whip me up one. There is no W(V)icto joy today in this syphilis ridden city.

Guess I'll try to finish the one I've been trying to make.

[ Edited by: Turbogod on 2004-05-27 20:44 ]

Sorry Turbo, I was watching and it sure looks like you got sniped hard. Whoever won has been buying a HUGE amount of tiki stuff lately.

Better luck next time.

Bummer- sorry you didn't get it. Looking forward to seeing the one you're carving. That bidder has been a long time tiki collector and buyer on ebay.

As a personal note, I'm happy that I paid less than that for the big "Mainlander" Witco fountain. I'll have it in a new tiki room in a few months.

L

I can't help but think that one of our own active TC members may have gotten this if it haden't been posted here.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I hate it when people post "look what I found on ebay, not my auction" If you look at the bid history you'll notice that both turbogod and mattfink had bid before you posted here. The winning bidder just bid at the end. Maybe he was watching it (like I was) or maybe he saw it by lurking here????
Some of us spend hours searching ebay for Witco. And I know when I find something I just hope no one posts it here. Those who want it will also search.
If it's your auction, great post it here, we want to help our little family. If not, wait until it's over, you may be taking it away from one of our own. I'll get off my soap box now, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

Here's my latest ebay Witco. I think it may be the ugliest Witco thingy ever! But I just had to have it. It'll sit behind my turtle stool. Keigs, any info?

On 2004-05-28 10:34, laney wrote:
If not, wait until it's over, you may be taking it away from one of our own.

Surely by posting it here, you increase the possibility of it going to one of our own???
I've had an item or two myself, purely because someone has posted it on Tiki Central and I appreciate their gesture.

Personally, I find sniping a whole lot more irritating, and unsporting to boot - but it's something I have to live with. Having friends alert each other to something on eBay that they might be interested in is something you'll have to live with too.

Trader Woody

I feel bad that turbogod didn't win this auction. There is only one way to win an auction, and that is to be the highest bidder. I feel that this fountain would have gone for over $1500.00 + if the people that placed bid at the end had placed earlier bids. So who wins and who loses? The prices on some of this stuff has gotten to where any hard working guy or gal cannot touch some of the Vintage Tiki Items.There are a couple of people on EBAY that could win every auction, at any price, (Maxifac,aka KahalaCharms, etc) at any time, so In my opinion "sniping" seems to be an equalizer in some instances, I have been sniped, and been the sniper on occation, It just depends on "how bad" you really want(need) the item. I also feel that the people that are Hardcore EBAY/TIKI watchers already have a beat on what is for sale out there. Just my .02 worth because I really hate to lose also. Mahalo

Ahh, don't lose any sleep over it. You never know who's out there buying this stuff. There are some companies that buy vintage stuff for restaurants...or it could be some Tiki Freak hit the lotto. I just don't worry about. I'm sure Keigs could make me one!!

Matt

I can't help but think that one of our own active TC members may have gotten this if it haden't been posted here.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I hate it when people post "look what I found on ebay, not my auction" If you look at the bid history you'll notice that both turbogod and mattfink had bid before you posted here. The winning bidder just bid at the end. Maybe he was watching it (like I was) or maybe he saw it by lurking here????
Some of us spend hours searching ebay for Witco. And I know when I find something I just hope no one posts it here. Those who want it will also search.
If it's your auction, great post it here, we want to help our little family. If not, wait until it's over, you may be taking it away from one of our own. I'll get off my soap box now, it's just a pet peeve of mine.

Here's my latest ebay Witco. I think it may be the ugliest Witco thingy ever! But I just had to have it. It'll sit behind my turtle stool. Keigs, any info?

Look what I found on ebay!!!
(Not my auction)
http://i22.ebayimg.com/01/i/01/d2/35/18_1_b.JPG

:)

D

Unga Bunga ~ you are toooooo funny!!

plz note the taut buttocks...

Ooops,Spilled My mai-tai on the surge protector. Unga Bunga, your killin me.
mahalo

Haw haw!
Good work folks!

Trader Woody

I

Well, "losing the auction for one of our own" was certainly not my intention.

I had no clue who the bidders were in the bidder list and certainly didn't know if they were TC members, or if it even mattered if they were.

Hey, Witco isn't my cup of tea, but I came across this fountain with its finely crafted buttocks and let you all know, considering a lot of people like Witco stuff here. You included. It's a neat piece and amused me.

Something tells me that EBayers like racerx 1glasslover, or artman who would pay upwards of $1000 for this aren't relying on TC posts to do their ebay item research, especially when a simple ebay search on "tiki,""vintage tiki," or "tiki fountain" would suffice. Something tells me that these ebayers knew about this item a long time before I so tiki-criminally posted it here. Sorry if I offended your sensibilities, but mea culpa? No way.

Iolani-Your heart was in the right place.
I forgot my 8th Grade French so I went and found http://www.mea-culpa.com . i hope I can navigate this site before the kids get home from school.
Mahalo

L
laney posted on Fri, May 28, 2004 2:51 PM

On 2004-05-28 13:47, Iolani wrote:

Well, "losing the auction for one of our own" was certainly not my intention.

I had no clue who the bidders were in the bidder list and certainly didn't know if they were TC members, or if it even mattered if they were.

Something tells me that EBayers like racerx 1glasslover, or artman who would pay upwards of $1000 for this aren't relying on TC posts to do their ebay item research, especially when a simple ebay search on "tiki,""vintage tiki," or "tiki fountain" would suffice. Something tells me that these ebayers knew about this item a long time before I so tiki-criminally posted it here. Sorry if I offended your sensibilities, but mea culpa? No way.

I know you had good intentions and you're fairly new so you missed my last rant on this subject (trader woodys lamps) It's just a pet peeve of mine (and others too-I know!) Sure someone could search "tiki" but I know I don't, too much crap to wade through. Finding a Witco without the word "Witco" is a treat though.
I also know some big spender mug collectors are members here but don't post (maybe just lurk?) edgeoftexas is one. I hope he never decides to put Witco next to that Eames lounge of his! I'd be screwed!
The only way to get a Witco bargain now, is to find it in the wild or poorly listed on ebay. I found this site by searching the web for Witco. So who knows people don't get ebay tips from here?
I can't say what would have happened if it wasn't posted here, I was just pointing out that our own peeps had found it already. I also get mad when people post "look at the sweet Witco I GOT on ebay for $10.00!" So I can't win. :lol: Just PM me all Witco auctions and I'll be happy! :lol:

L
laney posted on Fri, May 28, 2004 3:05 PM

Oh yea, Unga, you're silly!

K
Kono posted on Fri, May 28, 2004 5:07 PM

Why I snipe.
by Kono

Sniping is the only way to go for me if I really want an ebay item and it works for my schedule. I'll give you an example why:

A couple weeks ago there was an item that I really wanted but I couldn't snipe it because it ended while I was at work. Our internet filters block ebay and I don't use any kind of sniper service. Either I pull the trigger myself or the trigger don't get pulled. Anyway, all I can do is place a bid for what I think is a fair price (incl shipping) and hope no one beats it.

I get home from work and am disappointed to see that I lost. I check the bid history and I see this (the names have been changed to protect the guilty):

Acewipe57 bids 19.99 - the starting bid
Kono (that's me) bids 41.41

A few minutes before auction ends:
Acewipe57 bids 25.00
22 seconds later Acewipe57 bids 30.00
15 seconds later Acewipe57 bids 32.00
(does he thinks this is like a real auction where you raise your card and keep upping it in increments?)
40 seconds later Acewipe57 bids 35.00
33 seconds later Acewipe57 bids 40.00
(Oh what will it take Acewipe?)
25 seconds later Acewipe57 bids 42.41 and wins! (likely bid 45.00 but you know how it works)

If I could've been at home to snipe it I would've got it for 20.49 and Acewipe57 would've lost as Darwinism intended.

What really gripes my ass is when Barry684 and Debbie4U start a $5 a pop bidding war five days before auction ends and drive the price up to a ridiculous amount just because they get into some kind of mindless frenzy.

Wait as late as you can and just bid what it's worth to you. That's my motto. Of course that's a buyer's perspective. The complete opposite of what you sellers want. :wink:

On 2004-05-28 17:07, Kono wrote:
Acewipe57 would've lost as Darwinism intended.

Shudder.....

Nah, this survival of the fittest crap still makes me wince. Surely we're above all that these days? I thought that's what civilization was all about? Decency? Sportsmanship? Ring any bells? No? Oh well....

Trader Woody

K
Kono posted on Fri, May 28, 2004 7:53 PM

On 2004-05-28 17:32, Trader Woody wrote:

On 2004-05-28 17:07, Kono wrote:
Acewipe57 would've lost as Darwinism intended.

Shudder.....

Nah, this survival of the fittest crap still makes me wince. Surely we're above all that these days? I thought that's what civilization was all about? Decency? Sportsmanship? Ring any bells? No? Oh well....

Trader Woody

Give me a break. Maybe if I inserted a :wink: after that sentence you'd be more comfortable with it. It was meant tongue in cheek. For the most part...

If Acewipe was willing to spend 45.00 on the item then why didn't he bid that originally? More likely he did not initially think it was worth that much but worked himself up and spent more than he intended. The poor lad might even be suffering some buyer's remorse as we speak. :(

Curiously, I've never heard of ebay referred to as a sport. It's a marketplace. If you found a Ren Clark mug in a thrift store marked very cheap would you discretely snag it up or would you make wager with the shop owner: "Tell you what, let's play a hand of poker. If I win, I get the mug at the marked price. If you win, I'll pay what it's worth."

I'm incredulous that anyone would think "sniping" is unethical, uncivilized, barbaric, or what have you. Maybe the practice needs a new name. "Fashionably late," perhaps? Maybe people just don't understand it!

What do you think sniping is? It's simply bidding what you feel an item is worth and waiting as late as possible so that competitors do not have time to reconsider, check the bank account, ask the spouse etc. You can bid in the first minute of an auction and if your bid is high enough then it doesn't matter what the so-called sniper bids. You still win. Lesson: bid what you think it is worth the first time.

Ebay is like a cross between a standard auction and a silent auction. You submit a bid as in a silent auction, the difference being that they tell you who is in the lead. That is to entice you to spend more, to rethink your original bid and raise it higher, to make you spend more of your hard earned money. A responsible bidder IMO will set a bid amount, place his bid and be done with it. Win or lose. What is more fair than that? People who get all hysterical and keep upping their bid amounts likely spent more than they intended anyway. Maybe for some people it is a game. For me the only sport in ebay is digging around (like Laney said) and finding stuff that others miss (oh, and I got a king size one recently - will post when it actually arrives). Spending as much as you can is no sport for me.

Once again, so-called "sniping" is merely bidding what you think an item is worth and bidding late enough that other (IMO, less responsible) bidders do not have time to be overcome with buyer's lust and rebid at a higher amount than they originally thought was reasonable (reconsider their original bid). How is that unethical?

Damn, I need to learn to be more concise. Sorry to make you shudder TW! :D

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:27 ]

K
Kono posted on Fri, May 28, 2004 9:18 PM

Kono:

Maybe I am off base here, but I take it from your posts that you do your "sniping" by hand, that is you bid late personally.

Yeah, and I rarely do it anymore. Just for special items.

Maybe what Trader Woody is speaking of regarding the unethical practice of "sniping" is that which some use via a program which bids for them without them actually being present to bid. I know I have lost to "snipers." Some that I know used programs to do so and I was dismayed.

I understand, but they would have outbid you anyway. The only thing sniping does is prevent you from reconsidering. You know the feeling: "Oh shit! Maybe it is worth $60! Maybe even more! Why didn't I check to see what it sold for before!? Damn. It's over."

To me, it's good I didn't panic and spend more than I thought the item was worth. I have done it (got freaky in the last few seconds) and usually regretted it.

Ebay can be very weird. I once had in my target sights the VHS pilot episode of Hawaii Five-O. Two were ending on the same day. They were virtually identical. I gave up on the first one when it hit $26. The second one I got an hour and a half later at $9. There was no difference! The first one wasn't sealed or anything. People just got in a freaky bid war.

All that said, IMHO, you can place a maximum bid anytime during the auction. That is what I do. Sometimes I win. Other times I don't. But I don't overpay. It is irritating though to overbid by one bid by someone who is out to dinner using some robot program to place bids for them at the last possible minute.

I've never knowingly been outbid by a sniper program. I suspect that they are used less than people think. What's the diff between a program and an attentive bidder? Either way a bid amount was set and it was the highest bid. The difference would only be a few seconds. Hardly enough to matter in most cases.

Let's face it. For the most part, ebay sniping is a myth.

If you were bidding on a government contract with closed bids, you would submit your bid and the agency would contact you as to if you won or not. Correct? How about if the agency contacted you and said "Pssst... I know you submitted a bid, and it was fair, but Acme Co submitted this bid, think you can beat it?" That's ebay. IMO, sniping is more ethical than that is.

I guess I fail to grasp what the casual ebayer thinks sniping is. You make a bid and that's that. If you make it late then you prevent others from reconsidering their original bid. That's all it is. Bidding late makes other bidders unable to reconsider. So what? Bid what you think it's truly worth to you the first time.

I won't bid unless I can bid at the last minute. Too many times, early on in my E-baying days, I got into bidding wars where I would keep uping my bid or someone else would up their bid to finally beat mine. I've found by sniping, I don't pay more than I wanted and I generally get things cheaper because the second place bidder hasn't had time to up his bid.

My other philosophy is that there will be somthing as good or better listed next week, so I only buy things that I think I'm getting for a good deal. I've seen mugs sell for $50 then the next week for $15.

I like finding things listed incorectly. Then I know there is less competition. I have quite a few "Totem" mugs in my collection. Ooops just gave away another secret.

On 2004-05-28 19:53, Kono wrote:
Give me a break. Maybe if I inserted a :wink: after that sentence you'd be more comfortable with it. It was meant tongue in cheek. For the most part...

Well my post was made with a smile on my face & not a scowl, but perhaps it didn't travel. Those emoticons actually come in useful sometimes....

I still hate sniping, though. Not the Queensbury rules....etc...blah blah blah...
:)

Trader Woody

Kono, You totally Rock!! Ebay is Just an on line auction service. Nothing more, Nothing Less, a vehicle for us sick people to purchase items that we (5 years ago)would have scoured garage sales, flea markets, and other bizzare places to find what we love the most, TIKI.
In regard to sniping "devices" this software is, in my opinion more than above board as it provides an opportunity to "be in the hunt" without getting your whole life wrapped up in winning the Witco Fountain with cute butt cheeks!! With the sniper software that is readily avalible out there you just place your maximum "buy" amount, and let it ride. Just like a "regular" bid, if you dont bid enough you LOSE. I personally like MAUI TIKIS approach, If you want to WIN you better be on it at the last minute and be willing to PAY! I have learned alot about how people respond to losing at something when you cant see their face...

ALWAYS a graceful loser(when no one is watching)Hot Rod Tiki

Did anybody get pics of this fountain? I didn't get to see it before the auction ended. Was it the standard Mainlander style?

S

In any auction where you have a lot of bidders, the sellers make more. Lots of sellers and few bidders, the bidders get better deals. That's a fact. Ebay is defacto an auction with lots of bidders. The only advantage us bidders ahve is bidding at the lastpossible moment to keep the price as low as possible.

Ebay could change all this by maybe extending any auction an additional hour if there is a bid in the last minute. Imagine what that would do! But there has to be some end to it all.

T

On 2004-05-30 09:50, PolynesianPop wrote:
Did anybody get pics of this fountain? I didn't get to see it before the auction ended. Was it the standard Mainlander style?

Nope. It had hands and legs.

Pages: 1 2 48 replies