Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Frank Sinatra - there is no "or"

Pages: 1 2 52 replies

GT

This has been a fun thread.

I think there is such an overlap between Tiki and lounge because they were contempories.

Frank was popular during the same time period as Tiki's first epoch. In retrospect, things get blended for current consumption.

It's meaningless to me personally whether someone shares my affinity for Sinatra - I mean, his star in the pop culutral firmament is eternal, dissenting viewpoints notwithstanding - but for the record, I've done a lot of reading on the subject (including the three I mentioned, I should also include THE WAY YOU WEAR YOUR HAT, a loose collection of Frank's philosophical musings), and he from my research, HE NEVER HIT WOMEN. Not even Mia. Read Jacobs' book, he was there. In his own way, for his era, Frank was quite gallant and respectful of women in general. I could be wrong, I didn't know the cat, I'm just offering a balanced perspective that might stem a rush to judgement. But everyone is entitled to believe what they wish.

There was a similar thread on another retro site devoted to Hating Sinatra. He certainly has a lingering effect on people, one way of the other, you gotta give that to him.

The problem with dissing someone famous on a personal level is, unless they're speaking from personal experience, it comes off like sour grapes. I've read an equal amount of stories regarding Frank's generosity, passion for civil rights, kindness, etc. In the end, all he left us strangers in the night is the music, take it or leave it.

S
The problem with dissing someone famous on a personal level is, unless they're speaking from personal experience,  

I indeed know that he sent his goons to threaten a sculpter who was going to sue him for services rendered, but unpaid for. "Please don't sue Mr. Sinatra. Oh, nice hands. Be a shame if something were to happen to em"

he didn't sue.

There are too many stories, including his highly public threat to punch Sinead O'Conner in the face, and break Woody Allen's legs, to dismiss it all as hearsay. It's not about him being Italian. His behavior was boorish and bullying with or without any mob connections

But that aside, his corpartae mainstream taste in music and self-satisfied air gives me hives.

That's all. :)

~Scrimshaw Lui, le Glik

[ Edited by: Scrimshaw on 2004-06-07 14:53 ]

For me, those kinds of tough guy stories only add to his mystique, but then I'm from New Jersey, too. It's all a matter of perspective, after all. If you don't dig his taste in music, I got no problem with that, either. Even if it is Frank's world, it's big enough for all opinions. Especially now that he's gone...

TM1

Yeah, but can ya really blame him for wanting to punch Sinead O-Conner in the face?

I kinda do to! And I ain't even from "joysee"!!!!

Pages: 1 2 52 replies