Towa Tei – “Technova (La Em Copacabana)”

Gentle People – “Relaxation Central”

Don Tiki – “Barbi In Bali”

Cordara Orchestra – “Jet Society”

Senor Coconut – “Trans Europe Express”

Grupo Batuque – “Brasileiros E Ingleses”

Louise Verti – “La Femme Fin De Siecle”

Trio Eletrico – “Lunera”

That's all I can think of for now. I've been compiling this stuff for years now. There's a lot of good stuff mixed in with Trip-Hop Electronica, but very few through and through Exotica group today.

May I suggest the delicious concoctions of Cabaret Diosa? Voodoo Pinata is my favorite of their CDs, although any work fabulously--I have injected these strains into many a work setting, to raise many a smile and spirit. If you have not had the pleasure, check it out: http://www.cabaretdiosa.com

If you want your own Voodoo Pinata, don't be put off by the "out-of-stock" note, just go to your neighborhood music store, or http://www.cagefreerecords.com/catalog/cabaretdiosa.html or http://www.hapiskratch.com/store/store__21.html

T

On 2002-05-04 09:26, MonkeyGod wrote:
Check out this great track from pedal-steel-guitar legend BJ Cole and electronica producer Luke Vibert. It's a great piece of modern exotica.
http://www.epitonic.com/artists/lukevibertbjcole.html

BJ sounded AWESOME on David Sylvian's Gone To Earth record back in '86 - still a CLASSIC recording.

Iorana!

James Teitelbaum
webmaster: Tiki Bar Review Pages
author: Tiki Road Trip
creator: Left Orbit Temple

[ Edited by: tikibars on 2003-05-11 03:22 ]

I was very impressed with Project Pimento at the Tiki Oasis. My wife bought their CD and we grooved to it on the way home.

The Ventures all the way.

i released a genuine but newly recorded exotica record back in 1996 with Bo Axelzon & his Exotic Sounds. the musicians (except for me and Adam who joined in on various instruments)actually played this kind of music back in the 1950-60s here in Sweden. you can read more about it at:
http://www.chaoskitty.com/t_chaos/subsnd.html
i still have some copies left of the ltd 10" if anyones interested in some swedish exotica. oh yeah they used to be the houseband at the stockholm tiki room before it became a permanent bar.
aloha
/stefan

[i]On 2003-05-11 03:17, tikibars wrote:

BJ sounded AWESOME on David Sylvian's Gone To Earth record back in '86 - still a CLASSIC recording.

OK, now I know the TC people are truly a diverse group. I never thought in a million years that I'd see the name David Sylvian on TC, but now I bless the heavens that now I have. I know he's neither tiki nor even vintage, but Sylvian remains one of the biggest influences of my life. Thank you for the mere mention of his name.

BTW, he has just released a new record called "Blemish" available at http://www.davidsylvian.com/

And now you may return to the topic.........

Hey BK,
If you like the Ventures you should check out The Shadows. Hanks Marvin, the guitarist, is the dude that wrote Apache. The Shadows were doing some great instro stuff in England that pre dates the Ventures and were HUGE in the U.K.
Also check out the Duo-tones unplugged.
You can hear samples at Paul Johnson's site. Paul Johnson is one of the founders of surf music. Paul and Gil Orr are amazing on the unplugged surf music disk.

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2003-05-17 14:03 ]

I agree with Tiki King about 'the music should fit the scene'. I enjoyed the rockabilly at Taboo Cove, firstly, because it's waay better than the usual hip hop that they play there, and secondly, because it's more up beat than lounge or exotica.

I would love to hear exotica at the Tonga. That would be prefect.

Hawiian music seems to work pretty well at Sam's Seafood in Sunset Beach. I don't know if I could see exotica being played there. It might be cool to go in and ask if we could try it out though.

The bar/ decore definately dictates the type of music

CA

If we're talking new music here...For those not able to get to PalmSprings !!!!!!!!
APE finally has débuted it first full length CD!!!!!

17 songs of Steel Guitar grooves and Jungle Drum rumblings !! 1800’s to 1960’s all your Urban-Savage needs fulfilled !

If you lead a Life of Shrunken Heads, Sacred Tikis and Kegs of Rum, your doing fine.

If this is not the case, follow APE back into the jungle.........

“JUNGLE GEMS” (full length version) Is Now Available !!
[email protected]

Don't forget Frank has a great CD out of all classic steel guitar!!! "the Waikiki Steel Works"... http://www.waikikisteelworks.com

MP3’s not posted yet.... If any local LA TC’ers can help me update the APE site with this stuff let me know........

http://www.tikimania.com/ape.html

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2003-05-17 12:40 ]

[ Edited by: crazy al on 2003-05-19 00:19 ]

S

Keep this thread going! Best exotica reference work to be found!

No one has mentioned the Big Kahuna and the Copa Cat Pack! They have two CDs. "Hawaiian Swing" and "Shake Those Hula Hips" (Second one's better than the first). Big Band swing versions of, Hawaii 5-0, Hawaiian War Chant, Hukilau Song, Princess Poopooli Has Plenty Papayas, and so on. Great stuff.

The Vanduras recent CD, " In The Dark" is kind of dark, moody surf music to go with you third or fourth Zombie and a CD by The Moon-rays that has a nice medley of Denny's "Hypnotique" and "Our Man Flint" to bridge the spy/exotica gap.

K
Klas posted on Sat, May 17, 2003 3:05 PM

Speaking of Hawaii 5-0, check out our organ lead version from the 1993 "Ready Set Go!" album:

Daytonas - Hawaii 5-0

Hi Stefan, I remember seeing Bo Axelzon and his Exotic Sounds at the Tiki Room when it was located in Old Town. Can't really remember how they sounded though as I probably was a bit too intoxicated :D

Surf softly and carry a big board

[ Edited by: Klas on 2003-05-17 15:06 ]

Here's one...the Oranj Symphonette's version of Hunry Mancini's "Lujon". complete with bird calls, etc.

CA

(this last weekend after Tiki Taix, LA)

Just as the Bombay/Tonic tunnel was appearing on the drive home to Orange County.... The blissful tunes of the KING's! NEW! CD!! kept me on track the whole way... I only needed like two more songs.... good thing the CD was on repeat!

WOW! WOW! WOW! YOU MUST BUY THIS CD!!!!

GrrrrrrrrrrrrrEAT!!! The King is.... THE KING!!!!!

Cool C'Al, I want to get my copy of The King's CD. How's can we go about picking one up?

Need Info!

I really like the song Hatari by Mancini on the Hatari soundtrack, sounds of Hatari is great too, lots of tribal percussion, african style with lounge mixed in.

Wow! Hatari is one of my all time favorites...

Listening to it, you can just feel the dark clouds coming in over the African Veldt...very exciting.

As far as modern day tiki bands are concerned, I am going to do a shameless plug here: My band, the Smoking Menehunes. While we don't do any kitsch, camp, exotica or lounge, we do play straight up Hawaiian swing and Hapa-haole music from the 40's, 50's and 60's. We also do not play any surf music. We are very tradtional. No slack key either. Just pure steel guitar, Uke and upright bass. Very bare bones. When we play paid gigs, we always have a hula dancer.

Just so happens one of our first gigs of the season will be 4-28-07 at the tiki treasures and poly pin-ups shinding, with SQUID joining us on drums. If you want to hear the music you would have heard at the hotels in Waikiki circa 1962, then please come check us out!! Our singer is a protege of Bill Tapia, and is of Hawaiian descent.The other two of us our Haoles. We play the same kinds of things Bill Tapia plays, and in fact, he played with us all last summer as our 4th member. Needless to say, we all learned quite a bit from him!

My group WAITIKI is another modern tiki band you may be interested in.

Pages: 1 2 65 replies