Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Music

Modern Day And Classic Tiki Bands?

Pages: 1 2 65 replies

I'm wondering if anybody can give me some feedback on what current bands they like to listen to when tilting back their favorite polynesian libations? We need some new music here at the office! This isn't to say that we're tilting back cocktails while we're working... it's not necessary since we're actually all intravenously hooked up to mai-tai i.v.'s!

[Edited by Hanford to change the title]

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2002-04-17 02:27 ]

F

If you are looking for contemporary exotica music try these bands:

The Bad Examples
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000026J92/qid=1018492240/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3/104-7561088-9359128

Tipsy
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/artist/glance/-/61998/ref=m_art_dp/104-7561088-9359128

Vintage:

Tak Shindo is my fave.. check ebay for vinyl.

F

oh yeah you may also want to check out Fantistic Plastic Machine:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/artist/glance/-/158091/ref=m_art_dp/104-7561088-9359128

For Modern Day bands, check out:

Don Tiki

Also, check out Lounge band Combustible Edison, they have several denny-inspired songs.

(I hear they're playing live shows again... does anyone know if they're back together?)

Also I second Tipsy, although they're not super "tiki"... Uh-oh is my favorite.

Beyond Tiki there's a lot of cool modern lounge sounds (Fantastic Plastic Machine is pretty cool, though I wouldn't call them tiki).

Here's one of my favorites that is neither modern or Tiki:
Man In Space With Sounds

I could keep going and going....

~Hanford

here's a great band from japan:

http://www.sister.co.jp/pettybooka/e-pb.html

i ordered their cd, which has yet to arrive. i'll try to post a review after i give it a thorough listen.

:sheckymug:

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2002-04-11 02:06 ]

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2002-04-11 02:07 ]

F

I suppose it depends on what you define "tiki" as.. if you mean in the traditional polynesian pop sense, then you have

Arthur Lyman
Martin Denny
some Les Baxter
and thats pretty much it.

You could count some of their contemporaries such as Tak Shindo, Chaino, etc but there's really only the big 2. Everyone else wouldnt be true "tiki"

I pretty much use a loose notion of tiki to mean "lounge" or "exotica/easy listening" basically, anything that would sound more or less right playing in a tiki bar..

P

Well, there's Ultra Lounge, but that's not really a band. The Tiki Tones, of course. And the Jungle Exotica CDs, but they're all old stuff. I recently got a CD of a band called Hula Joe and the Hut Jumpers, which is a Hawaiian swing (with hints of techno in a coupla tracks) and I would have to say it's a pretty nice album. Then there are the classics as mentioned above: Lyman, Denny, Baxter, Yma Sumac, some Eartha Kitt, Don Ho, etc.

fatuhiva,

Yeah, it's tough to define tiki. And lounge these days, too! I was trying to think of stuff more along the lines of, well, modern day exotica.

~Hanford

T

Besides the ones already mentioned
I am a big fan of...

Los Straightjackets. http://www.straitjackets.com/
(surf guitars and Mexican wrestler masks who'd knew you could mix the two)

and lately...

Cousteau
http://www.cousteau.co.uk/
(though not really "tiki" just very cool more reminiscent of Burt Bacharach, it's like something I'd put on if chicks were coming over) 8)

K

Hey Juan Garcia ESQUIVEL! Belongs in the the Denny, Lyman, Baxter list imho.

Yeah, Esquivel it top-notch.

But if you had a tiki bar open today, and it had a stage, what bands would you book to perform there? Assume you could get any band to play as long as they're still around and playing today...

I'll work on my list and get back to you.

~Hanford

Senor Coconut, por favor! Even his name is tiki! Sort of...

Click here and listen to "Trans Europe Express."
http://www.emperornorton.com/mod/artistpage.php3?artist=senor_coconut

K

I am without the aid of my mp3 folder at home, but as I recall some great currently existing "surf rock" bands are:
The Irreversible Slacks
The Mermen
The Aqua Velvets

F

Now I'm a big Esquivel fan, but techincally he would be "Space Age Bachelor Pad"

hahahaha

so what would the line up or instrumentation of a modern day tiki band be?

:sheckymug: :sheckymug: :sheckymug: :sheckymug:
Tiki Chris

I can’t resist to make this plug.
You can listen to my stuff her:
http://artists2.iuma.com/IUMA/Bands/Kahuna_Kawentzmann/

We already have a colourful collection of acts in this act, and I like pretty much all of them. I am usually more into the original stuff, but my background is surf music and I realized early that it can be seen as exotica’s son.

For TikiChris interesting question I would say a really modern exotica band would feature a danceable groove. The sampler/or harddisk recording is a very good tool for the sort of broad, adventurous approach you need for real exotica. It opens you music for all the sounds in the world. I was really a longtime oponent to anything electronic in music, but I realize how many electronic music styles are shaping into something I can relate too, and not being about electronic in the first place.
So the sampler is not a must but a gain in the versatality department. The other instruments are anybody’s guess. Personally I would like to here more vibes in today’s music. More harpsicord, sitar, ukulele and wordless female vocals among other.

KK

I would have to recommend Tipsy as well. Incredible sounds.

Aloha,
Tiki Kiliki

You could get the Tiki Sampler that came out in the Ultra Lounge compilations. It has a Tiki on the cover. I'm not sure what's on there but I'm sure there's standards.

If you search ebay look for a record titled "Polynesia". You'll love it!

Aloha,
Tiki Kiliki

J

The Tiki Sampler is pretty much the same as the leopard skin sampler that Capitol put out quiet a few years ago - it has a tiki on the cover but includes songs from all the Ultra-lounge CD's - not exclusively exotica. If I remember correctly there are 1 track each from Denny and Baxter but that is about all.

Just Cool,
Johntiki

:drink:

So, if you're looking for an old exotica comp, the Capitol Ultra-lounge Mondo Exotica has an incredibly listenable mix on it. A great beginning-to-end Exotica primer.

If you want Modern exotica you may want to check out the Electro Lounge series.

These are modern remixes of lounge music (again pretty-much all Captiol I think) Electro Lounge Volume 1 has Martin Denny's Hypnotique some Yma Sumac, and a version of Caravan, nach.

Electro Lounge Volume 2 has more exotica on it, including Denny's Quiet Village remixed, and 4 Les Baxter tunes.

Overall these discs are decent but not stunning, esp. compared to Tipsy. There's at least one track on each that I love, and at least one track on each that I SKIP OVER whenever it comes on. But it's interesting to see old favorites like this remixed in a variety of styles.

One of the cooler tracks on vol 1 is "Sway" where they've taken both Dean Martin's Sway and (I believe) Julie London's "Sway" and merged them together. it's pretty cool ... has a very heavy sythed drumline in it.

~Hanford

[ Edited by: hanford_lemoore on 2002-04-16 13:47 ]

K

If we are including "classic" exotica in this discussion, I can't resist mentioning an album I lucked into at a collectibles fair in Antwerp this past weekend, Stanley Black's "Exotic Percussion" on Phase 4. I'd put it right up with Baxter for tight orchestral arrangements, exotified with vapor girls, gongs and jungle drums.

~Kelly

F

YES

I highly recommend that Stanley Black Phase4 LP- It's got an awesome gatefold cover too- nice 60's style blur-shot of a model in the jungle.

I love that LP- look for it on Ebay, it rules- I play mine all the time.

F

since we're talking vintage music-

have any of you heard those "brass impact!" LP's that command put out in the 60's?

They are great- like 20% Herb Alpert, 80% Esquivel!

here's a closed on ebay- maybe somebody can still grab it- no bids

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=855900598

F

By the way, this is the Tak Shindo LP to watch for:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=855262270

A

I like to collect old records for my bar. I know we all like Arty, Marty and Les, so I thought I'd list some of my other favorites.

1. Exotica:
    A. Milt Raskin's "Kapu". The cover is a direct ripoff of Lymanns "Taboo". It's good, not as good as "Taboo"
    B. Robert Dresnin's "Voodoo". a personal favorite
    C. Stanley Black's "Phase4". I read Fatuhiva's and Kah's recomendations and found one the next day. great stuff.

2.Hawaiian Music:
A. Webley Edwards, was the host of "Hawaii Calls" a popular Radio show. He has a large number of albums. I like most of them. My favorite is "Exotic Instumentals". Tiki cover
B.Lani Lehua and the Surfers "Tradewinds to Hawaii" Mellow and soft. good background music.
c.The Outriggers "Captivation" Fun. Tropical prom date album cover
d. Coronet Records "Hawaii goes percussion" I love this album.
e. The Kilima Hawaiians "Hawaiian War Chant" Insrumental. very good.

3.Big Bands:
Hugo Winterhalter, Andre Costelanetz, Henry Mancini, Fred Waring, Morton Gould, Billy Vaugn and other band leaders all tried to cash in on the Hawaiian craze. Some are better than others. There is too much "polish" or orchestration on some of them. Do you need a tuba and an obo to play "Hawaiian War Chant?. If you see any thrifting, pick 'em up, they are big fun.

4.Big Name Hawaiian Entertainers:
Don Ho, Ray Kinney, Alfred Apaca and the Aliis. The problem with Hawaiian music is a large number of albums all have the same hits on them. "Lovely Hula Hands" "Blue Hawaii" "Aloha Oi" "Pearly Shells" etc....

1. Lounge music: Sure Sinatra, Deano, Bobby Darin as well as others made good albums to sip tropical drinks by. I'll also mention Earl Grant's "Bali HI" And "Beyond the Reef". Earl was an organist and may not be for everyone, great background music.

6.Re Releases and Compilation CDs:
Capitols "Ultra Lounge"
a. "Bachelor Pad Royal"
b. "Cocktail capers"
c. "Mondo Exotica"
d. "Samplers" This is very good stuff
Del Fi
"Jungle Fever" I love the Voices of Africa stuff.
Dcc's
"Sex Kittens-The Brunettes" Eartha Kit Vicky Lane Tammy Grimes and others remind us we are more politicaly correct than our parents were.

Here are some of my vintage favorites. any other suggestion?.
Al

S

Not in the exotica realm, but still my favorite: Henri Rene.

I have an LP "Music for Bachelor's" or something with a cheesecake cover that is very weak. But the other records of his I have are my top favorites.

Riot in Rhythm
White Heat

Listen to my broadcast. I have recorded these albums and put them in my playlist.

In Exotica, I restate Kiliki. Find Polynesia! which is done by Charles Mauu and the Royal Polynesians. It's RCA and can be foun don Ebay. We have a 45 and an EP and I think there is a longer LP version. This entire record is also on my broadcast.

April Stevens is the epitome of the vixen. I have that LP on my broadcast.

Vintage exercise records are often real gems. The music is often done live and very fun. Again, check my broadcast for many great examples.

The Swank Pad - Live365.com - If it's Swank...

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2002-04-18 14:52 ]

[ Edited by: Swanky on 2002-04-18 14:53 ]

Does anyone know why it is so hard to find Baxter's Ritual of the Savage? I wish it were available in CD. George Cates is good too.

Petty Booka's full length CD "Hawaiian Pure Heart" arrived a couple of days ago, and I've been listening to it virtually nonstop since! Petty Booka is a girl duo from Japan on the Sister label (an all girl groups label from Japan). Their name is a joining of the names of the two vocalists: Petty Asano and Booka Suskida, who appear on the inside of the CD jewel box adorned with plastic lei, cellophane grass skirts posing with ukuleles in hand.

Apparently, they were a recent sensation at Austin's SXSW:

http://www.sister.co.jp/PettyBookaUStour/index.html

"Hawaiian Pure Heart" is a collection of 13 cover songs spanning the gamut from oldies to Hawaiian traditional to 80's hit songs - all done with an "authentic Hawaiian arrangement," which means with ukes and vibes and lap steel and bongos! The duel vocals are endearinly well sung and kooky with an emphasized Japanese accent on certain lyrics so that words like "Honolulu" comes out "Honoruru".

The excellently chosen first track of the album is the classic Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polkadot Bikini, alternately sung in English and Japanese. The girls brilliantly start the song (and entire album) off with goofy bird calls (YES!) which are soon followed by bongos and bass with steel guitar falling in line accordingly.

Other highlights on the album include:

Culture Club's Do You Really Want to Hurt Me? which starts off slack key style, We'll Sing in the Sunshine, The Tide is High, and Vaya Con Dios.

In addition to "Hawaiian Pure Heart" Petty Booka have 4 (!!!) other Hawaiian albums:

Toconut's Hawaii, Blue Lagoon on which MARTIN DENNY makes a guest appearance, Summer Breeze and Ukulele Lady.

According to their website,

http://www.sister.co.up/pettybooka

these albums were recorded by Petty Booka from Hawaii. They've also done a couple of country albums (by Petty Booka from Texas), a bluegrass album (by Petty Booka from Kentucky), a Christams album and an album dedicated to songs about rain. I'm dying to get my ears wrapped around the CD with Martin Denny on it!

This is definately one of the goofiest, kitschiest, most tongue-in-cheek bands I've come across in a long time. The music pays homage to and also mixes well with classic exotica and Hawaiian while still sounding fresh and current.

Fun stuff that's worth checking out.

:sheckymug: :sheckymug: :sheckymug: :sheckymug:
Tiki Chris

other good modern "tiki" bands might include:

il gruppo italiano di easy listening, montefiori cocktail:

http://www.montefioricocktail.com/

and

from tokyo, United Future Organization:

http://www.ufo-tokyo.com/

classic artists that could fall in or near the tiki catagory are

hugo montenegro

and

felix mendelssohn and his hawaiian serenaders.

[ Edited by: Tiki Chris on 2002-04-18 15:44 ]

F

I second the motion on UFO (united future organization)

I just ordered a cd of theirs a few days back, liked the samples on amazon.

Speaking of Henri Rene, have you heard his brother's stuff? "GOOGIE" Rene?

Talk about 50's googie-jazz.. wow!

I recommend "Romesville!"

heres a closed one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=854066223

great cover- sounds even better

which ufo disc are you getting? i have 3rd perspective & find most of it to be great listening...a couple of songs are just okay.

On 2002-04-18 20:18, fatuhiva wrote:
I second the motion on UFO (united future organization)

I just ordered a cd of theirs a few days back, liked the samples on amazon.

thats the one!

M

Check out this great track from pedal-steel-guitar legend BJ Cole and electronica producer Luke Vibert. It's a great piece of modern exotica.
http://www.epitonic.com/artists/lukevibertbjcole.html

Not really Tiki music, but check out this oddity - Vincent Price reveals his fave Polynesian recipes on a vinyl LP!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=866741169

Does anyone own this astonishing piece?
Trader Woody

Apologies to all of those on the Exotica forum for this barefaced steal:

"Hello Tiki Fans

You can now see video clips of "The Forbidden World of Don Tiki" shows at the Hawaiian Hut by visiting the "TV Lounge" at our website:

http://www.dontiki.com

Click on channels 1 and 2 and select medium or large format based on your capacity. Please have patience for the download as these are BIG files. The entire site has been updated and improved. Please let us know
what you think!

Alohaderci,

Fluid Floyd
http://www.dontiki.com

T

Check out the Loungebots! The elder loungebot just emailed me after tfinding tikifish.com online when looking for tiki stuff. He said the concept behind the loungebots is like if some rusty robots took over playing all the gigs at Holiday Inns across the country. Or something like that. Some fun tiki iconography here too. So go listen to the loungebots! And tell 'em I sent ya!

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/108/loungebots.html

I would second a motion on going for a broad church when it comes to TIKI and sounds. Definition is everything but then so is vibe. Depending on my mood Tiki is everything from Lounge and Exotica...Yma Sumac, Martin Denny, Les Baxter, Nelson Riddle (Adore Nelson), to broader strokes like moog from the great Dick Hymen.

My favourite Hawaiin music is hands down Hal Aloma's Hawaiin Holiday album which I picked up in an old Church jumble sale for $1.50! I took the thing home and have never stopped playing it since, it literally gets high rotation in my car at all times.

Then you've got the other end of Tiki which I think is era related. Tiki it could be said spans from the 40's through to the mid 70's, so depending on what mood I am in, era wise, I tend to go pretty broad. Surf bands and 50's Rockabilly fall within the realm of era freindly grooves, so the Tiki Tones to early 60's garage R'n'B like the Sonics gets airplay at my Hut.

My list would go something like...

Martin Denny
Hal Aloma
Nelson Riddle
Les Baxter
Henry Mancini
Link Wray
Tiki Tones
Yma Sumac
60's James Bond Orchestra (Dr No) rocks!
Dick Hymen
The Four Freshmen
Beach Boys
Stray Cats
Brian Setzer Orchestra
Sounds Incorporated (My dads 60's band, the Beatles support band on all their tours and managed by Brian Epstien)
Sal Soul Orchestra
Burt Bacharach (Dust Springfield versions)
Gene Pitney (Very cool)
The Meteors... etc etc etc

I even string my Tiki into bands like the Cramps, the Clash, the B-52's etc...

Dig... Tiki Rocker :D

I won't get into any of the classic stuff cause there's plenty of peoplke around here who know those titles better than me. But as for new stuff:

The Blue Hawaiians

Ape (Crazy Al carves with this band)

The Fisherman (Brain Lease, The Fissherman, is acctually also a member of Ape but has a side project)

Let me know if you want some MP3s. Ape doesn't have a full length CD out yet but there's a demo, Crazy Al could probably get you that. Same thing with The Fisherman, no full length CD out right now just a demo but I got both their demos so I can get you MP3s for you to check out. The Blue Hawaiians have a pretty new CD called Live at The Lava Lounge. Hey I was going to give you a call in a couple of days to ask you about venues down toward San Diego area. I now your partner down at Tiki Farm is in a surf band so I wanted to see where would be a good place to book a band. I'm setting up a couple of shows for Ape in July, while they'll be coming into So-Cal. I got them a gig opening for The Blue Hawaiians on the 19th at Kozmos in Huntington Beach but I wanna line something up for the 20th (Saturday), down a little further towards San Diego.

I would totally dig some MP3s of Ape and The Fishermen.

the blue hawaiians christmas album:

christmas on the big island

is good too.

for the modern French take on Lounge music try Sacrebleu by Dimitri from Paris That album never fails to entertain at cocktail parties.

S

There is a yet unknown band that will be playing at Hukilau 2002. It turns out a musician in Atlanta has put together a new group. They will be playing along with The Penetrators and maybe more.

SIX WORDS:

QUINCY JONES BIG BAND BOSSA NOVA!

Is a lounge, swanky dream! Especially "Soul Bossa Nova" which most of y'all would recognise as that kooky/catchy song from Austin Powers.

T

Does Al Caiola fall into tiki at all? I seem to remember him doing a Hawaiian type album. I think my folks have it, I'll have to check.

On 2002-09-12 21:27, TikiGuy wrote:
Does Al Caiola fall into tiki at all? I seem to remember him doing a Hawaiian type album. I think my folks have it, I'll have to check.

I have an Al Caiola Hawaiian LP - can't remember the title but it is Al doing guitar instrumental versions of Hawaiian standards like The Hukilau Song and Lovely Hula Hands, etc. - It's pretty good!

:drink:

TK

So I guess the real question is "what is Tiki Music" It would seem that it is any music a Tiki fan enjoys. When out at a bar like the Tonga room, I like the music to be exotic and ambiant. Vibes and Bird calls. I like more lounge type stuff at a place like Trader Sams. Good get drunk sing a long music. At an "Event" something with those pounding jungle drums. Music should fit the mood.

Though they don't have a CD out yet check out Project:Pimento:

http://www.projectpimento.com/

Some of my Favorite compilations on CD is a series put out by Laserlight with titles like
"The Love Handle Lounge","The Bachelor's Little Black Book", Bikini's,Martinis and Memories", etc with many songs by (drumroll)...ROD MCKUEN (Who also produced the series).

There is more I want to tell ya'll about but I'm too tired...must sleep...night, night.

My vote for best all around band to play at tiki bashes...The Ka'au Crater Boys...not exotica, but great originals and covers...the best ukulele bar none! Grey

Pages: 1 2 65 replies