Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

ID please on this wood tiki mug?

Pages: 1 10 replies

Typical crappy Memorial Day weather here in WI... 50 degrees and pouring rain... Headed up to a Maxwell Street Days north of me on a tiki and chisel hunt... A bad turnout due to the weather and it did end up pouring and everyone packed up early...

At the 5 th booth I actually looked close at I spotted this from 20 feet away... only my second tiki score at this event in 2 years...

It was marked $5, I offered $3 and it was mine.
It is carved from wood and the seller said it belonged to his brother or brother in law who brought it back from The Philippines while in the service.

I've seen the same tiki on old table lamps at Hala Kahiki. There are no markings or signatures on this mug. Anyone seen one like this before? It is 5 inches or so tall.
Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-05-30 23:22 ]

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer on 2004-05-30 23:23 ]

They are from the Philippines and I find tons of them here in Florida. It's the only tiki that all the Philippines carve apparently. The same tiki I have seen on big forks and spoons and frames.

There are even tons of 'em over here in the UK. (Well I've seen a couple - bought one) Even though they are made in the wrong place and are rather crudely carved, I quite like them. It's a good one to have looming at the back of your collection where you can see it's obviously Tiki, but you can't look to closely at the carving.

Incidentally, the one I've got has Maui carved into his forehead, so he must have done some travelling.

Trader Woody

L

On 2004-05-30 23:21, Lake Surfer wrote:
It was marked $5, I offered $3 and it was mine.
It is carved from wood and the seller said it belonged to his brother or brother in law who brought it back from The Philippines while in the service.

I've seen the same tiki on old table lamps at Hala Kahiki. There are no markings or signatures on this mug.

Anyone seen one like this before?

yes, for a few decades.

you bought at current value.
they are carved by dozens of "factories" in the Philippines and are found throughout Waikiiki. Some say HAWAII in the mouth and as you say, Maui, too. Some say Guam.
seeing the same tiki on lamps, etc. just means other manufacturers, large and small are using the same generic basic tiki look.

Thanks for the response... bummer that even if this was carved many years ago that it could just as well be a recent piece... there's something about owning an old tiki collectible...:)

It is a nice mug and will look good on my shelf.

L

On 2004-05-31 23:07, Lake Surfer wrote:
...bummer that even if this was carved many years ago that it could just as well be a recent piece...

almost but not quite. It does have the appearance of an older piece and those that know tiki mugs can see and appreciate it. Its just that they are so ubiquitous, the old and the new, they command nary a pittance at sales, shops, swap meets, etc...
But these older ones are carved with a finer eye to detail than the new and there are differences. Don't let it go. It will gain value whereas the newer ones will not, esp. among the "intelligentsia du tiki"

I bought one at a car boot sale a few years ago and the carving wasn't to hot, but I saw a load for sale at the weekend at a place over here and the carving and finish was a lot more respectable.

On 2004-06-01 03:51, cheekytiki wrote:
but I saw a load for sale at the weekend at a place over here

What place?

that mug has more detail than the ones i have, but since it was the first mug i ever found and proved that tiki mugs will turn up in charity shops, i love it anyway.

HUH! Look at that! I have one just like that! I got it from my brother-in-law in Vancouver, BC, who knows I'm a Tiki nut. I'm so surprised to see another one! I don't know if I'd use it to drink, as it's wood. I use it on my table to hold pencils (!). Anyhow, what's the scoop on this type of mug?

S

not sure bout the scoop, but Ihave a herd of those mugs.
Gonna have to check and see if any are more
spectacular than the others.
Lotsa those fellas loose in my house. hahaha
Pea

The first tiki mugs I collected were wooden ones -- very common in thrift stores here and inexpensive, I've paid anywhere from 25¢ to $2.00. They serve lots of useful functions around my house:

In the den:

In the bathroom:

These little guys are good for holding toothpicks or cocktail picks:

These guys just take up space in a cupboard:

-Sweet Daddy T.
Because crap doesn't buy itself.

blog

[ Edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-09-17 23:47 ]

Pages: 1 10 replies