Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki house remodel (updated 06-19-05 with patio pics pg 8)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 143 replies

B

WOW!!!! Now that is something straight out of TikiHeaven(heaven is always tiki by the way)!!!

Oh My Tiki!!!!! I am beyond amazed.

O

Okay,
We finally got the interior pictures that everybody has been asking for. It's not quite as tikified as the outside, more tropical and relaxing.

Here is what it looked like in July 2001.

Looking into the living room. Complete with 8' round brick, ski lodge fire place. Where do you put the furniture?

Kitchen was all of 7'x7' wall to wall with 2 feet of counters on both sides. Love that picket fence!

The original wet bar/laundry room. This area is now our dining room. Laundry facilities have been moved to the garage.

Now the finished product....note we took out a few walls.

Front door at right.

Entry table with some "prized" tikis.

Same view as earlier without fireplace.

Mood shots....

Dining room

Same shot as earlier (looking into wet bar/laundry area)

And now the kitchen...

No more picket fence!

Stained glass aloha shirts in one of the skylight bays.

A close up on our newest arrival."Da Big Puka". It's a little something we picked up from a local carver on Oahu. Some of you may know his work :wink:

When we get the new bar and waterfall done we will post more pics.

:drink:
Aloha

[ Edited by: OnaTiki on 2004-06-18 00:31 ]

Wowwwweeee from Maui!! Great stuff, and this comes from a bona-fide redecorating fan. You guys rock, and of course the gen-yoo-wine Gecko pieces just add the best touch! If you're ever on Maui, drop me a line...glad to show you around. Ferget dat Gecko and overcrowded Oahu! haha! Geck, gimme a call soon...we miss you guys!
TQ

L

sweeet!
interior worthy of anything here in da kahala or hawaii kai side!

D

Absolutely breathtaking!!!What a wonderful home!

F
foamy posted on Fri, Jun 18, 2004 9:56 AM

I've never seen the like before. Amazing! You are one dedicated and industrious family. If I get my home to look like even a fraction of what you've done with your home – I'll be a happy camper. Well, well done!

Whoa, nice interior, especially like the kitchen!

Wow, very very nice!! late 50's- early 60's ranch houses rules!

R

Awesome!
I really like how you painted the walls with that uneven edge of white/blue. Reminds me of the water and shore. Wonderful job!

O

Thanks to all for the positive vibes

T-Bird it was nice to meet you and the Mrs at Mr Tiki.

TikiQueen, we may be headed your way next May. Cross fingers.

Ren Tiki, thanks, you're the first to bring up the paint job. Dig your artwork also.

TB

Hey Ona, any pics of your outdoor bar area with the waterfall yet? The last time i saw it was on Nov 26th & it look close to being done.

TBird.

B

Yo Onatiki, How did I ever the last part of this post. The house is a Tiki kingdom for sure. One day I will mofe out west and carve for room and board, and enjoy every minit.
Thanks for a nice bit of sunshine.

O

hey, thanks for asking..we have progressed a little, but the rain really slowed us down. we also were very sick with the flu for a couple of weeks..feel great now..so back at it. Ben, any time.. you just get here..we will give you a place to crash..

C

Wow...what a great re-do...you should be
on HGTV....love the paint scheme and the
little extra touches...like all the clocks
on the wall...I spent most of the day doing
GM product training tests on-line and it's
a breath of fresh air to scroll through your
pics. great job. The carvings are great.

J

I can't believe I missed this thread - God damn that is a sweet pad!!! Makes me wish my wife was up for doing a thematic make-over of our entire house...oh well, guess I should be happy with the basement. Awe inspiring job - congrats on a job well done!

S
seamus posted on Tue, Feb 8, 2005 7:18 PM

Wow, I missed this one too. Thanks alot. I just showed my wife and now she's telling me to get a job so we can finish our house!

T

Wow, what a transformation!

You all did a great job! I would love to do something like that.

A

I saw Rick and Mokis place for the first time on Superbowl Sunday. The photos don't do it justic,e this place is beyond awesome. Really one of the nicest places around, just fabulous.
Mahalo,
Al

T

FANTASTIC. My Oh My! If I can get my current project to look HALF as good, then I will be stylin' fer sure!
Awesome job guys, maybe I can see it in person someday soon...I will be in Encinitas for a meeting twice this month...lucky me!

O

Thanks for all the kind words! Pics of the new bar & grill and waterfall will be coming shortly (weather permitting). It's almost finished!!

Garz...You're welcome to come anytime. We're about 20 minutes south of Encinitas. Stop by on your way home for a little refreshment.

Aloha

T

Thanks for the invite! You can always email me at: [email protected] with the pertinent info...I will be in town Tue 2/15 and Fri 2/25....
Dave

..oh...oh...OH. Feeling light headed...woozy..panties damp... gotta go lay down for a while.

Totally beautiful makeover! Congratulations. I really like the interior paint treatments, very cool looking and inspiring.

wow I am truly in awe! awesome stuff!

How did you do the lave rock planters? Is that real lava rock or fake? if real, where did you get it?

H

OnaTiki, what an amazing job you have done to your place. My first time on this thread, I am, amazed, real nice.

O

We have finally completed the bar and waterfall and thought it was time to update the thread.

It's taken us a little longer than we expected due to all the rain. We still have a month or so of work to do to finish up. Mostly flat stone work on the patio, painting and a few other odds and ends before we can give it the official "It's Done" stamp. But here it is...

Welcome to the new and improved 'Ona Tiki Bar & Grill.

And here are a few night shots.

Thanks for looking and all the great feedback. We'll post more pics soon.

[ Edited by: OnaTiki on 2005-05-01 21:25 ]

Incredible.

Five star resort quality.

I have to stop looking at the pictures now... drooling too much...

K

I don't even know what to say. That is beyond perfect. In the words of Napoleon Dynamite... "Luck-eeeee!"

Gorgeous. That's utterly stunning!

good god, thats not a home bar, thats a full scale lounge!!!.....breath taking!

D

Well,I'm stunned! That is absolutely so over the top that words fail me-you all should be really proud of the stupendous effort you put into all that.Great stuff.

B

Ona, Does the Mai-Kai know you have stolen one of their rooms? I
m surprized it wasn't on the local news channel: "Mai-Kai Plundered for one of their tropical bar rooms, Perpetrator still at large", read the headline.
Man that bar & Grille looks absolutely Fantastic. Well done. I'm sure the MaiTais enjoyed there will be the Best in the Land.
HappyHappyHappy

Wow!

Wow!

Wow!

So ...... when's the party? :)

D

What everyone else said...I am in awe!

NC

I'm speechless. Unbelievable. please post more pics.

NC

On 2004-06-03 00:40, OnaTiki wrote:

On 2004-06-02 14:55, diesel tiki wrote:
how did you build the stone tiki head?

It's a 7' sono-tube filled with concrete, wire mesh is then applied to the outside to shape it. Several more coats of concrete, texture it, color it and you're done. Instant Moai !

On 2004-06-02 20:49, Atomicchick wrote:
Your house is beautiful and your landscaping is out of this world! Are you for hire?

Absolutly,
If you're in the San Diego area and are really serious, PM me.

Mahalo,

Onatiki,

Is this the same approach that you used for all of the stuff around the walkways, waterfall, etc? Did you use forms of any sort for those? Also, what size mesh do you use?
We are doing some work around our pool and this has got me thinking in a whole new direction.

T

I believe we have a winner in the "Greatest Home Tiki Bar Ever!" contest. All I can say is WOW, and when can we come over???

Absolutley amazing work. I'm curious about the layout. Is this in you backyard? What forms the overhanging area? I'd love to see a rough plan layout of the whole thing if you have one.

Outstanding work!

Where did you find the barstools?

That is one of the best home bars I have ever seen......if you ever need a "regular" drunk I will gladdly come sit at the corner night after night....ehhehehe

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats what I'm talking about.

Damn. Over the top. Congratulations on obtaining such incredible results.

You have my respect for an incredible amount of work.

Charge admission if you have a party.

Hell yes!

Once again you've set the bar at new heights (no pun intended)

You should send photos to Monster House to show 'em how it's done.

-Z

O

First of all, thanks to everyone for all the wonderful comments. It's makes the effort we put into this all worth while.

We can't wait for the party either. We are hoping for late June or early July. All will be invited and we hope to see many of you here.

Lake Surfer-The only thing that could make it better is one of your poles in the bar.

Kahaka- Thanks bro! Keep those lamps coming.

Slacks, Hala, Dawn & Feelin Z- Thanks!!

DocWoods- Thanks Doc, we are very proud.

Ben- Don't tell the Mai Kai. Why you outing us??!! :wink: When are you coming out? Your room is still waiting!

Pop- End of June/Early July

No Clue- Yes... there were no forms used. Most of it was free formed. The wire mesh is the kind used for tile work. You can find it at your local building supply (Home Depot)

Tiki-Bot- Yes, this is our back yard. The roof over the bar is formed by the deck above that is attached to the granny flat above the garage. The view into the bar is from our back door of the house leading onto the patio.

Mermaidhouse- The barstools were from Wacky Wicker on Mira Mesa Blvd. They had lots of fabric and other style to choose from.

Dr. Shocker - I am the regular drunk, but occasionaly would enjoy the company another drunk.

MM - You will never be charged admission!!

Thanks again to all. Glad we could finally share. We'll post more pics once the patio is done.

Mahalo!!

B

Once again, HappyHappyHappy

Your house is absolutely incredible. It sounds like you are going to enjoy it to the max. Congratulations on a great job.

TB

Ona & Moki, your backyard paradise is awesome, cant wait for Utopiandreem & i to see it in person!

TBird.

H

Extremely nice, hope I can see it in person this summer. Beautiful pictures, thanks.

Can I live there?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 143 replies