Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

Tiki Bar Decor Staple SCORED!

Pages: 1 21 replies

L
laney posted on Thu, Jun 3, 2004 4:14 PM

Sorry, that finds thread is just way too long. Although I hunt and find cool stuff often, they rarely warrent the time to load pics, but this is different...

I have several 10"-11" clam shells but I've been wanting one of these for a long time!The giant ones are endangered and illegal to fish and import.

I found it this morning, it is REAL. It is 30" long 17 1/2" wide and (after unloading out of my trunk, I had to weigh it) 70 lbs!
A steal at $40.00.

There's a can of soda for size ref. It's ZAZZ!

a little bleach should clean it up nice.
on the back there are bits of coral, shells, and some worm casings

I've always like the old barrel lamps at Bahooka but the smaller barrels I've seen have always been $65.00 and up. Why, I don't know. The one in the picture was $3.00. It'll look sweet with a red bulb.

The two wierd "we like the moon..." creamic tiki guys were at an Estate Sale in a Victorian House about to be demolished. There was a shed in the back yard and on the back of it hung an old fish net with cork floats, shells and two high shelves where they sat. I asked the guy how much and he said they weren't for sale because they wouldn't come off the shelves, he'd tried. So I pulled up some furniture and tried...screwed on and rusted to the shelves. I wasn't going to give up and went into the garage, found some pliers and went to work unscrewing long rusted bolts. My arms fell asleep but I got them, $5.00. Floats $1.00 each.

I always pick up the old, real (not foam) cork floats because even OA says they can't find them anymore!

Now if I find another (yea, right), I'll make sinks for the bathroom!

Damn, now I have to have one. Nice score.

M

On 2004-06-03 16:17, Raffertiki wrote:

Yeah, thanks a ton. I was doing just fine not needing to buy a giant shell.

Laney, your backyard looks pretty cool. Do you have any pics of the whole backyard? Maybe snap one once you place your new find in the perfect location?

L

On 2004-06-03 16:14, laney wrote:

I found it this morning, it is REAL. It is 30" long 17 1/2" wide and (after unloading out of my trunk, I had to weigh it) 70 lbs!
A steal at $40.00.

excellent! These guys are worth 3 to4 hunnert!

The two wierd "we like the moon..." creamic tiki guys were at an Estate Sale

oh no! Even in TC, Marquesas/Tahiti tikis are equated with contemporary commercial icons! (quiznos mutant ratsquirrels in this instance)

L
laney posted on Thu, Jun 3, 2004 4:42 PM

On 2004-06-03 16:30, lanikai wrote:

On 2004-06-03 16:14, laney wrote:

The two wierd "we like the moon..." creamic tiki guys were at an Estate Sale

oh no! Even in TC, Marquesas/Tahiti tikis are equated with contemporary commercial icons! (quiznos mutant ratsquirrels in this instance)

Ummm, look close, it sure looks like they have tails between their legs, so I don't know what they are!!!????!!! I saved them from certain demolition still! Educate me please :D

D

great..now i have 'shell envy' too.

great score.. (so good it DOES deserve a new thread!!)

L

it sure looks like they have tails between their legs, so I don't know what they are!!!????!!! I saved them from certain demolition still! Educate me please :D

hmmm haveta see da backside o da buggahs. could they be a new hybrid; ratiki...
still, hope they don't start singin' like these guys:
http://www.rathergood.com/

L
laney posted on Thu, Jun 3, 2004 5:35 PM

On 2004-06-03 16:25, MachTiki wrote:

On 2004-06-03 16:17, Raffertiki wrote:

Laney, your backyard looks pretty cool. Do you have any pics of the whole backyard? Maybe snap one once you place your new find in the perfect location?

Why, thanks. I have several projects going on right now but would like to have another get together towards the end of summer. I'd like to do a day-time swim, drink, sun thing.

Here are some pics I've posted here before.

view from outdoor bar/patio

Kentias near pool

The treasure chest poolside

another estate find $50 mermaid, I repainted

The area behind the shell, was just dirt next to the outdoor bar. I recently put railroad ties and planted Ti plants and a palm.
I'm trying to re-do the front yard after a fatal palm fungus and working on the back too. It sure is a TON of work but, bit by bit, it's comming along.

This one's for Poly Pop, Bob says "Hi!"

T

Laney,

that is one cool score alright! where (in general terms) did you find it?

T
TNTiki posted on Thu, Jun 3, 2004 7:16 PM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:34 ]

M

Laney,

Thanks for posting the pics. Very cool backyard! From the looks of it, Disney should be calling you real soon about your eye for creating attractions.

Cool, found this old Steamer Trunk. They wanted 50, I asked if they'd take 40 clams....they did. Thanks to eel for the inspiration. I'll put a false bottom on it and fill it with real pearls, pieces of eight and silk from East India and the Orient. Any pirate that gets near it will face a cannon ball arrrrr perhaps a tight noose. Scurvy dawg.

LET'S RIDE! - Hopper

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader 2007-07-22 10:17 ]

NIIIIIICE. I lost a great wooden chest in my divorce many years ago....similar to that one...only mine had a flat top. I refinshed it and lined it with neat fabric. I have my eye on a really beautiful chest at a local antique store but they want too much for it, and they are not negotiable on the price.

If you are an on-line shopper like me here is a good site. Of course finding an antique chest in the wild is better. :)

it's always a score to get ahold of a good chest.

good on ya jungle!

but is it good to get a hold of an old chest?

Vamp, that IS a nice site for beauty chests. I'd love to have one of those.

Dolla, sometimes a good chest IS an old chest yes.

Cleen....sometimes an old chest is good wood.

so what type of wood is your old chest?

(take it easy on me, im plowed. or just drive your ass up here and have a drink with me)

He can't tell, too many barcacles.

Yeah, too many barcacles.

What the hell is a barcacles? Hope it is something fun to drink. :drink:

My chest dropped once I hit forty, but it is not a sunken chest....yet. :lol:

FATIMA BLUSH: Oh, how reckless of me. I made you all wet.
JAMES BOND: Yes, but my martini is still dry.

[ Edited by: VampiressRN 2007-07-23 18:02 ]

i've heard that if the chest is too heavy, you can use some wire under the bottom part to provide it with some support.

T

An old chest can be a good chest if was taken good care of. [ polished, stayed out the sun, wiped down once in awhile] I have had some old chest and there not bad !!!!

Pages: 1 21 replies